Household Shopping

Rakesh1977

Hi all,

I'm due to move to Oz in January next year (Sunshine coast). I thought I'd look up the prices of commonly bought item during a weekly shop with brand names and create a spreadsheet to compare prices at home using an exchange rate of 1.60

I used Coles online shopping to find the items.

Might be useful, might not but its there for anyone who want to see.

Rakesh

Guest Guest31881

To be honest Rakesh, i do not see how it help. if you did it as a comparison of the % of wage used in each country then if would have some bearing. But you cannot really compare prices based on an exchange rate.

Guest Karenandco

Well done Rakesh, I thought the shopping one was useful as a ball park for those not in the know of Oz shopping prices.

Thanks

Karen

Hi all,

I'm due to move to Oz in January next year (Sunshine coast). I thought I'd look up the prices of commonly bought item during a weekly shop with brand names and create a spreadsheet to compare prices at home using an exchange rate of 1.60

I used Coles online shopping to find the items.

Might be useful, might not but its there for anyone who want to see.

Rakesh

Sorry Rakesh, I prefer this one:wink:

Take your calculation, double check you have got everything in there.... rent, healthcare, car lease etc etc.... add both tax @ say 45% (?) and Super @ 9% to it

Roughly, you get the level of income that you need to earn to fund that expeniture

Then use your multiplier of 1.6 for exchange rate or 2.2, which some people think is a fairer comparison for cost of living, to get a "£ equivalent" and you can work out whether you are better or worse off in Australia

Just bear in mind you can put a monthly value on sunshine and wellbeing :biglaugh:

All the best

JT

Hi all,

Like most people thinking of moving to Oz, its difficult to gauge cost of food etc. I know the UK pound comparison is only useful if earning in pounds but it was thrown in there as it was simple to do in excel. The main thing is that average shopping bill for a family is hard to work out without some idea of costs. of course coles may not be the cheapest but its a start point. Before I did this, I had no idea how much to allocate to a weekly shopping budget. At least we now have a current up to date cost to work things out from. In the UK, I spend roughly £50 a week (single person) on food shopping, but that is certainly not going to be the case in Oz.

If it help one person (other than me) then its useful!

Rakesh

Guest TaniaandRob

Without being too technical or anything - I grew up in Oz and did the grocery shopping with my Mum every week and I can say our average weekly grocery bill was usually around $150-$200 per week for a family of 4. However when I moved out of home and started buying all my fresh produce from famers markets this more than halved. I have lived in the UK now for 2 years and have been regularly shoched by how expensive food can be so I would suggest it should be cheaper in Australia so dont worry too much...

:smile:

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Ignore the $1,60 to £1 exchange rate, wages in Australia ARE roughly paid at $2.2 to £1 and we found that food was slightly dearer than the uk, but alot of things were cheaper, it is swings and roundabouts, nothing to get over stressed about, but try to get a job with a wage based on the 2.2 rate of what you were earning in the uk, you should have a similar standard of living - my experience was that it was slightly dearer in Australia.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your time and effort in doing this Rakesh. Its a gr8 help just to get an idea what we'd be spending on average per month as I really didn't have a clue.

Thanks again and all the best. Happy New Year!

Hi all,

Like most people thinking of moving to Oz, its difficult to gauge cost of food etc. I know the UK pound comparison is only useful if earning in pounds but it was thrown in there as it was simple to do in excel. The main thing is that average shopping bill for a family is hard to work out without some idea of costs. of course coles may not be the cheapest but its a start point. Before I did this, I had no idea how much to allocate to a weekly shopping budget. At least we now have a current up to date cost to work things out from. In the UK, I spend roughly £50 a week (single person) on food shopping, but that is certainly not going to be the case in Oz.

If it help one person (other than me) then its useful!

Rakesh

Archived