Do I have to get the RRV... and how does that work?!!

Guest karen100

Guest karen100

Hiya... I am currently still waiting for my PR (856) hopefully its going to come soon... I'll be nipping home in a few months, and have been getting all confused about how the RRV works! Would appreciate some facts!

I have been in Australia for 3 years, 1 on a 417, 2 on a 457.

Ok, so once i have my PR, am I right in thinking that if i want to leave Australia and come back, whether it be for a week or a year, I need to get a RRV?

How long can I leave Australia for and still be able to return as a resident.

When i return as a resident (presuming i can) am i then able to still go on holidays or whatever overseas, or will i then have to stay in Australia solidly until i get my citizenship?

Sorry if these are silly questions... help is much appreciated!

Thanks

K

Guest Guest31881

When you get PR you have unlimited travel for 5 yrs normally, An RRV is a residents return visa. If you intend to travel and leave Australia after the 5yr period you apply for an RRV or you can become a citizen. The RRV is a residents return visa and is designed for residents who have not become or do not want to become a citizen and wish to travel outside Australia.

When you get PR you have unlimited travel for 5 yrs normally, An RRV is a residents return visa. If you intend to travel and leave Australia after the 5yr period you apply for an RRV or you can become a citizen. The RRV is a residents return visa and is designed for residents who have not become or do not want to become a citizen and wish to travel outside Australia.

Can you have a RRV "forever"? For example if I would leave Australia and not getting citizenship, applying for RRV before leaving, could I come back, lets say, 10 years later to live?

Can you have a RRV "forever"? For example if I would leave Australia and not getting citizenship, applying for RRV before leaving, could I come back, lets say, 10 years later to live?

you have to show compelling reasons as to why you have stayed away from Australia!

The answer is No

The maximum time away from Australia is 5 years unless you have very exceptional reasons that prevent you returning to Australia.

The residence return visa 5 year rule was designed to stop people getting PR and only returning Australia to retire years later after making no commitment to Australia.

Archived