Help please! Cactus is sick :o(

Smirfyduo

I have a cute little cactus but he clearly has something wrong with him. :eek:The red bobble is dying - it doesn't seem to have anything growing on it, but it is going black and sort of falling into itself.

Can anyone with green fingers offer any advice on what I can do to save him please :wubclub:

[ATTACH]2372[/ATTACH]

Guest VickyMel

Sorry can't really help except to say in the past I usually killed off cacti by overwatering.

I then started underwatering them and they all seemed to flower.

Is the red bobble just a flower and coming to the end of its life naturally - maybe the rest of the cactus is OK?

Sorry can't really help except to say in the past I usually killed off cacti by overwatering.

I then started underwatering them and they all seemed to flower.

Is the red bobble just a flower and coming to the end of its life naturally - maybe the rest of the cactus is OK?

I don't think it is a flower. There was a cactus with a yellow bobble next the red one, but I think he died from overwatering. It didn't get the black bit though, just sort of went all soft and fell over and died :sad: I was told to only water them once a month, and to put them in a sink of water for 10 mins and let them take the water up that way rather than b pouring water into the pot. Maybe their monthly watering will be rationed next week.

I can't even keep a cactus alive, and people wonder why I don't have pets :cry:

Guest VickyMel

One of my cats used to tip up the cactus and suck the liquid out bottom !:wacko: used to find these shrivelled prickly things left around the house :eek:

My Dad used to say my cacti only flowered because I underwatered them and the flower was their last stab at life. Hhmmmph so when mine flowered he took them off me and to his house to care for them :laugh:.

Just did a quick search on google - sounds like the red bit is a graft of another cactus

The most common of these novelty cacti are the “Moon Cacti”. With brightly colored scions of red, orange, yellow, or white atop green stocks, the “Moon Cacti” are quite striking. The sources of the colored scions are mutant seedlings lacking the green chlorophyll pigment. These seedlings would not live by themselves for more than a few weeks since the absence of chlorophyll prevents them from making food by photosynthesis. As tiny seedlings they are grafted onto vigorous green stocks, which provide the materials to support the colored scions. These “Moon Cacti” grow for years, but when the green tissues of the stock begin to cork over from old age, regrafting to a new stock is necessary or the scion will slowly starve to death. Interestingly, many people think that “Moon Cacti” are giant, brightly colored flowers. In reality, they are just brightly colored stems. Cactus grafts made between green scions and green stocks are much more vigorous than the “Moon Cacti”, and can live indefinitely.

One of my cats used to tip up the cactus and suck the liquid out bottom !:wacko: used to find these shrivelled prickly things left around the house :eek:

My Dad used to say my cacti only flowered because I underwatered them and the flower was their last stab at life. Hhmmmph so when mine flowered he took them off me and to his house to care for them :laugh:.

Just did a quick search on google - sounds like the red bit is a graft of another cactus

Yeah I found that too - but I fear that dear cacty is well past recovery:sad:.

The stem part has now started to go yellow, and per google, that means tickets for cacty. :cry:

if its not too big take it to a nursury.You would take a pet to the vet wouldnt you ??????

Cacty has not been a very well behaved or affectionate pet :skeptical:

But yeah, someone at work has recommended a little nursery near where I live, so cacty will be getting a proper health check tomorrow. :wink:

Archived