Getting Married on a 457 Visa

RachelS

Hi guys

I've searched on PIO & generally online but can't find an answer so thought I'd start my own thread & hope you knowledgeable PIO'ers can help!

My OH & I are currently on a 457 visa (he's main applicant) & have been thinkingof getting married for years - but we've got family visiting next year & would love to do it then. Our 856 application goes in tomorrow but with the published wait time being possibly 6-8 months we might not get PR before the date we're thinking of.

My question is - is it possible for us to get married while we're on the 457 if we have to - is it legal? Is there aything special we'd have to do?

Thanks for taking the time to read - hope someone out there can help

Rachel

Hi guys

I've searched on PIO & generally online but can't find an answer so thought I'd start my own thread & hope you knowledgeable PIO'ers can help!

My OH & I are currently on a 457 visa (he's main applicant) & have been thinkingof getting married for years - but we've got family visiting next year & would love to do it then. Our 856 application goes in tomorrow but with the published wait time being possibly 6-8 months we might not get PR before the date we're thinking of.

My question is - is it possible for us to get married while we're on the 457 if we have to - is it legal? Is there aything special we'd have to do?

Thanks for taking the time to read - hope someone out there can help

Rachel

Hi again guys - meant to say would it be legal in both Aus & UK - or would we have to do what I've read about on the net & get something signed by the UK before we could go ahead - has anyone got any experience of it? Or would it just make sense to wait until we have PR?

Hi, a friend of mine recently got married on a 457 but is spouse was Australian.

Legally, you can get married anywhere & it is fine too do this on a 457 - obviously your marriage licence will be Australian - make no difference. If your partner is the main applicant providing you have been together (i.e living together & can prove it) you will be able to also be included in the PR visa.

Enjoy your wedding plans!!

Archived