Importing a car

Phil & Vikki

I am looking to bring my classic car with me to Sydney. I have heard a number of horror stories about cars going through a strict test before they are allowed in. I will be importing mine within a container with other household things. I was wondering if anyone know whether the authorities stop the car at the port with the container (until it passes the test) or if they let the container go to your place/house, then you have to take it for a test to see if it is road worthy.If they keep it at the port and it fails the test (to get in), do you have to pay storage on it until you can get the necessary done on the car until it passes the test? Or can you take it home, do the work and then bring it back for a test?

If the paperwork is all correctly filled in and all the duty etc paid on arrival, they should clear the car at the same time as the rest of the container.

If it needs steam cleaning or whatever, it is done at the same time.

It is then released, but you still need to get roadworthy tests, rego etc before you are allowed to go on the road.

Its not so much a nightmare getting a car over here and on the road, its more often the paperwork & costs involved along with compliance issues, expensive spare parts for foreign models & higher insurance costs for grey imports it doesnt always make it worthwhile even when you look at the high value of new & second hand cars over here.

An old timer will definitely tip the balance in the favour of importing for the simple reason sentimental value is the main motive & not that you are trying to save money.

If you read the above link, it will give you a very good insight into what can be involved.

Good luck.

Archived