FLYING ON wednesday FOR BBC PROGRAMME

calNgary

well its official !!,we have been picked to do the pilot episode for a new BBC show,called 'Wanted Down Under'.Fly from Heathrow to Brisbane on wednesday for a couple of weeks filming all courtesy of the BBC,I cant thank them enough as what an insight this should give us into the life we want to lead ,should hopefully be called for our medicals on our return so i guess its one way of passing time.Will let you all know how we get on when we return ,if anyone has any tips on keeping my 2 and 7 year olds occupied for the journey i would be most grateful

cal x

Guest glennandkate

WOW what a great opportunity. Enjoy your trip... and as for 2 and 7 year olds on a 24 hour journey!!!!! all I can say is glad mine are a bit older, don't envy you at all.

Guest SuzieQ

WOW, fantastic, what a wonderful opportunity! Looking 4wd to hearing all about it upon your return.

A bag full of surprises for each with lots of nibbles, sweets, drinks, pens/crayons, puzzles, stickers, puzzle books and colouring books and possibly consider one of those battery operated mobile dvd players - a friend used one for her 2yr old to OZ at Christmas and it really helped.

Good Luck & Bon Voyage!

Guest morrison

FAIR PLAY

I WOULD'NT HAVE THE BOTTLE TO DO IT MYSELF. HOPE IT GOES WELL FOR YOU. WHEN ARE THEY EXPECTING TO BROADCAST IT.

Thanks for the support guys ,i believe they are hoping to broadcast January 07,as they have to make more episodes yet ,we are 'testing the ground' i suppose,,anyway must dash ,sooo much packing to do ,,

will keep you all informed

luv

Cal x

Guest MattandSarah

Hi CanGary

We also have a 2 and 7 year old - 2 year old by and a 7 year old girl. Would dearly love an update when you get back as to how the journey went and what worked to help you keep em under control!

Have a great trip

Guest choobs
Hi CanGary

We also have a 2 and 7 year old - 2 year old by and a 7 year old girl. Would dearly love an update when you get back as to how the journey went and what worked to help you keep em under control!

Have a great trip

Top tip: Singapore Airlines have Nintendo consoles built into the seats :)

Cheers

Choobs

• 3 weeks later...

well guys ,we are back landed in the uk approx 5hrs ago ,where do i start? what a country ,,,,we have totally fallen for Brisbane although the traffic in the centre were we were housed is a nightmare ,had a look around at areas and if our visa is succesful we are going to head for Greenbank or Jimboomba ,these areas seem SOOO child friendly ,adult friendly and have everything we want. we flew Singapore airlines and the service is excellent ,i was worried about the kids sitting still for so long as my kids wont normally sit for a hour but they did me proud and id have no probs with flying again (a stop of 5hrs at singapore is enough or they get bored),MY PERSONAL POINT OF VIEW is that if you add up all your living costs they will be very similar as food etc is the same price as here,you have to pay for kids healthcare and education but DRs are open 6 or 7 days a week,cars have no mot but road tax seems a tiny bit more ,new cars are the same price 2nd hand a bit dearer ,if anyone wants to pm me for more info or my phone number to have a chat feel free as there is so much we discovered that we didnt know dispite sitting on here for hours every day,,basically OZ is like here but WARM ,CLEAN AND WELL KEPT,there were some downsides but they dont outway the good and you cant rush anywhere cause everyone wants to chat,,

going for a sleep now

luv

Cal x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cal, All the best for your trip, what a great opportunity, it's good to know the TV licence fee is sometimes put to good use!

As far as entertaining the kids during the flight, the mini DVD player idea is a good one, new gel pens and colouring books always please my girls. It's not going to be easy, it's a long old flight, good luck! The children might be so excited they may cope better than you expect. Bon voyage, Beki :D

Becki -your on my wavelength!!

I took bits of k'nex,colouring pens,books everything really and used NOTHING ,our longer flights were night flights ,so after hours of keeping the kids awake with pins,red bull and wet flannels( joking) they slept half of the way ,ate and drank quarter of the way ,and spread the final quarter between wandering the aisles and pestering me and dad ,so all in all better than the 12hrs of torture i had in mind,,,,

We did come across afew 'surprises' with cost of living etc but not nearly as much 'pooh' that we put with here and definately not enough to put us off..so heres waiting for that very nice medical man to say YOUR IN !!!

good luck with everything

Cal x

• 6 years later...

OMG Proview ,how far back did you search for this,lmao...Well almost 6 years on we are -

Still in Jimboomba , Still enjoying life and still agree with 90% of my original thoughts about living here..but seeing as this thread is so old ,i will close it,lol

Cal x

Archived