Citizenship, Uni, etc...

Guest jadesd

Hello,

im a 17 year old 6th form student with a permanent residency visa in Australia. My mum, being a nurse, finally got accepted the visas just over a year ago, and so my family are heading towards moving to Australia, if things go well, next December. Yet, due to the current economic crisis in the UK, i think they would not be able to afford the move.

I don't see any other option for me though. i do not want to stay in the UK! Uni fees are increasing and well, to be honest, the country is just so dull and it seems that there is just no good future here for me.

So my plan is to move to Queensland, once i have saved a lot of money up, live there for up to the required 12 months before i apply for citizenship, and if accepted, i want to go to university there.

but i need to know about some things before i make my decision.

is it hard to become a citizen?

how is the cost of living over in Australia?

is there a lot of job opportunities out there for young adults?

Is a british driving licence valid in Queensland?

I would be really appreciative if I could get some advice and help please!

Thank you,

Jade

i think you need to be aware of the basic facts first. check out the dept of immigration website:

Australian Citizenship – Becoming an Australian Citizen

regarding cost of living - much the same, but to lots of us seems more expensive because of the poor exchange rate.

jobs - depends on your visa and qualifications - someone on here will give you the low down on Queensland jobs.

Good luck

Cath

Hello,

im a 17 year old 6th form student with a permanent residency visa in Australia. My mum, being a nurse, finally got accepted the visas just over a year ago, and so my family are heading towards moving to Australia, if things go well, next December. Yet, due to the current economic crisis in the UK, i think they would not be able to afford the move.

I don't see any other option for me though. i do not want to stay in the UK! Uni fees are increasing and well, to be honest, the country is just so dull and it seems that there is just no good future here for me.

So my plan is to move to Queensland, once i have saved a lot of money up, live there for up to the required 12 months before i apply for citizenship, and if accepted, i want to go to university there.

Thank you,

Jade

You have to live in Australia for four years before you can become a citizen, in that time you are allowed certain stays outside of the country, you will have to check this out with immigration, if you wish to go to uni you will have to pay uni fees as you can not apply for hecs until you are a citizen, hecs is a loan supplied by the government to pay for your uni and you pay it back when you start work and are earning over a certain amount very much like the uk, but again to qualify for hecs you have to be a citizen. Check out what course you wish to take at uni and contact the unis who should be able to give you an approx figure regarding courses and books etc.

Hello,

Is a british driving licence valid in Queensland?

Thank you,

Jade

You have to live in Australia for four years before you can become a citizen, in that time you are allowed certain stays outside of the country, you will have to check this out with immigration, if you wish to go to uni you will have to pay uni fees as you can not apply for hecs until you are a citizen, hecs is a loan supplied by the government to pay for your uni and you pay it back when you start work and are earning over a certain amount very much like the uk, but again to qualify for hecs you have to be a citizen. Check out what course you wish to take at uni and contact the unis who should be able to give you an approx figure regarding courses and books etc. its is not cheap to live in oz. my daughter is at uni, and works parttime at the local supermarket, to help with costs of uni. Your license is valid here not sure about your age though maybe some one who lives in your state you are going to will be able to help with that

Guest guest36187

I am a citizen of Oz , bit older than you!! The course that I am hopefuly about to do at uni is costing me $30,000!!! Needless to say I have applied for a scholarship!

Cost of living has gone up here in last few years.

Maybe do your degree in the UK first and then come out? If you have permanent residency already though couldn't you just apply for uni here anyway and try and get a scholarship? There are some 'hidden ' scholarships- you need to know what course you want and ask them directly to point you in the right direction. If you are keen enough and persistent enough I reckon you'd get one. Main prob may be having enough money to live on though a lot of students share, 2, 3 or 4 to a house and split costs.

i would do my degree in the UK first but the only problem with that is i only have 2 years left, after finishing my A-levels, to move over to Australia. After that, my Visa is invalid.

and i do not want to waste an oppotunity like this :(

Firstly check how you validate your visa i.e can you, alone, validate it, or does the main applicant have to be in Australia too?

You can't do both degree in UK and settle in Australia at the same time, otherwise your visa will expire?

If a permanent resident, you could do your degree in Australia at Commonwealth rates (but no loan scheme), currrently similar to UK rates - but would need to find the money first.

So complicated.

yeah it is so complicated. yeah that is an option. do you think if i did a degree in the UK i could possibly ask to extend my PR visa?

i already validated it with my family in OCT 2009.

yeah it is such a complicated situation! do you think if i went uni here, and got my degree, i could extend my visa?

Guest petemosby

That sounds so interesting. I've always wanted to go to Australia. Now when I saw this topic I searched a little bit and I found out that I can apply for visa to take a bachelor degree in Australia. But I need to prove that I can afford the taxes in the uni and residence and etc. I hope everything goes well in this dilemma of yours.

Archived