Confused 176 chartered accountancy work experience requirement

Guest jb3151

Hello everybody!

I am hoping somebody will be able to give us some advice before my head officially explodes!!

My boyfriend and I are currently looking to come to Australia in Feb 2011. We hold working holiday visas already so will be initially coming over on that. However, we have been looking into ways to stay permanantely if we decide to stay!!

I am a veterinary surgeon with 18 months experience and he is a chartered accountant who qualified in September this year. It is basically his work experience that is confusing us a lot!

We have found NSW have released a very small number of 176 Sydney specific visas:

Skilled Sponsored Migration: Business Migration: Industry & Investment NSW

One of the occupations on this is chartered accountancy - risk management, which is the job my boyfriend has been doing for the past 3.5 years for one of the 'big four' financial firms. Is this enough relevant experience as he was doing the job whilst training for his qualification or do they require the work expeirence to be post ACA chartered accountancy qualification?? I was previously looking at 175 and I know that work experience for that is post qualification......but the 176 seems a bit hazy!

If anyone could help it would be fab as everything being up in the air is starting to stress us a lot!!!

Thanks again

Julie and Tim x

Hi Julie,

As long as he has an accountancy degree he should pass the skills assessment, and then the experience would be after he'd completed that.

Unless its changed since I applied. I got my visa in October 2009, and that was the case then. I did also have to sit the IELTS. I know the codes have changed for accountants in that it was a general 'accountant' code previously whereas now its split out into 'internal auditor' etc etc.

What you need to do is look at the assessing body's criteria, and see if he could pass it based on his degree. I covered 9 of the 12 core competencies with my degree alone. I did this as I am only p/q ACCA at the moment.

Good luck,

Shaz

Guest AustrAnglian

Hi Julie,

I've recently obtained this exact sponsorship from NSW. There are 3 separate assessments and they each have different requirements:

1. Skills Assessment. I don't think the experience counts so much for this one - see link below:

Changes to Assessing Criteria from 1 July 2010

2. NSW Sponsorship. You need the Skills Assessment and after that it's based on the merits of Tim's CV. I get the impression there is one guy who stamps each CV with "Yes" or "No" based on an overall judgement, rather than any fixed criteria. Sponsorship decision took me 5 weeks.

Skilled Sponsored Migration: Business Migration: Industry & Investment NSW

3. DIAC points for 176. This is where the experience comes in. Minimum experience is as follows:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

For additional years experience you get additional points but this is optional, but I'm guessing Tim's under 30 and if he has NSW SS and the IELTS for his skills assessment then he won't need these extra points anyway to qualify for the 176

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)

All the best.

Thanks so much for the help!! So nice to speak to someone who has been in the same situation.

Tim is having a meeting today to discuss the idea of his current employer sponsoring us to go.... If not then we are going to get the ball rolling and get everything together to apply for skills assessment this weekend!

Thank you again

Julie and Tim

Thanks for the help shaz 36. We have already been in touch with Go Matilda but great idea about contacting Alan Collett, have sent him an email so we will see what he says!

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

Archived