Transporting your car to Oz - everything you need to know!

Iron Chef

hi iron chief - question on the pre-89 exception for ownership. i am Australian returning from the UK after a long stint, and would like to take on old car with me. i assume i can purchase right up until i leave and ship it later. if i don't find one i like, can i still get a friend to purchase on my behalf and my name and ship it to me , or do i physically have to be in the UK to buy it?

Ok so looking to import OH much loved TT roadster fro UK to SA. 2007 model low mileage.

Trying to work it all out, guessing CV = around $40K landed value assumed. Never sold that model in Oz at the time.

Guessing $2000 equiv to transport so Customs charges work out at $6,400 (if I got it right)

Other costs to add to fees

Application costs and various port/clearance charges $2000 potentially

Shipping $2000

Plus any fees for agent at Oz end.

All adds up to around $11,000. Seems a lot for what will be a 5 year old car.

Am I in the right ballpark here at all??

Guest McF150Supercharged

After printing some of the forms one of them asks for;

1. An address in Oz where the decision can be sent!

My problem is I won't have an address out there until I move out, so is there a way round that?

2. My Vehicle also has an aftermarket upgrade ( body styling & interior upgrade ), that does not differentiate it from a standard Range Rover.

The V5 document just states Range Rover Vogue.

It will be clearly visible when inspected in Australia, as it has the Overfinch branding on the seats, instrument controls & externally.

Do I disclose this & if so will they use UK figures to value as I do not see any similar in Oz?

Thanks

hi iron chief - question on the pre-89 exception for ownership. i am Australian returning from the UK after a long stint, and would like to take on old car with me. i assume i can purchase right up until i leave and ship it later. if i don't find one i like, can i still get a friend to purchase on my behalf and my name and ship it to me , or do i physically have to be in the UK to buy it?

No you don't need to be in the UK to buy it - Aussies buy classic cars from all over the world without being overseas, the same applies for you. You can buy it whenever you like. (This is for vehicles under the pre-89 rule only!).

Good post jamesw7

I want to take an old motorbike but unsure what this would involve. I believe a pre 89 wouldnt incur any costs?

Incorrect - taxes and duties are the same as any other vehicle. Shoot me an email if you want to know what you are up for in terms of costs, but there are special arrangements for motorbike shipping that are cheaper than the flat rate normally given to cars.

Ok so looking to import OH much loved TT roadster fro UK to SA. 2007 model low mileage.

Trying to work it all out, guessing CV = around $40K landed value assumed. Never sold that model in Oz at the time.

Guessing $2000 equiv to transport so Customs charges work out at $6,400 (if I got it right)

Other costs to add to fees

Application costs and various port/clearance charges $2000 potentially

Shipping $2000

Plus any fees for agent at Oz end.

All adds up to around $11,000. Seems a lot for what will be a 5 year old car.

Am I in the right ballpark here at all??

The TT Roadster was sold here in 1st gen and 2nd gen. If it's a first gen, expect a customs value somewhere around $30K, if it's second gen maybe mid-high $30Ks. Even these figures are probably a touch high.

In very rough figures, around $9K all up if it's a 2nd gen, $7500 if it's a 1st gen. Probably worth it if you consider how little it will be worth in the UK in 12 month's time...

PS for those of you bemoaning the Australian taxes, it's worth noting that the UK govt charges precisely double what we do (in percentage terms) when cars are imported over there ;)

After printing some of the forms one of them asks for;

1. An address in Oz where the decision can be sent!

My problem is I won't have an address out there until I move out, so is there a way round that?

2. My Vehicle also has an aftermarket upgrade ( body styling & interior upgrade ), that does not differentiate it from a standard Range Rover.

The V5 document just states Range Rover Vogue.

It will be clearly visible when inspected in Australia, as it has the Overfinch branding on the seats, instrument controls & externally.

Do I disclose this & if so will they use UK figures to value as I do not see any similar in Oz?

Thanks

1. It's no huge drama, they will mail one copy of the import approval to you in the UK, and you can then claim the rest once you arrive in Australia. My customers generally list my address in Oz so that I receive them all, it saves hassles in this situation.

2. Just list it as a Range Rover Vogue. Adding anything else will just cause confusion at their end and huge delays, frustration and added expense for you at your end. Customs will value it as a Range Rover Vogue.

Thanks for that, looks like it will definitely be worth it. We are visiting to validate next easter but won't be moving till late 2012 at the earliest so will have to re-check any 1st July changes. Will probably use your mid range service.

How long do you get to move the car after the permit is granted? We can apply now as we meet the criteria but are we best to wait until we have a rough idea of when we are going. I know the permit can take time, but don't want it to expire on us.

Thanks for that, looks like it will definitely be worth it. We are visiting to validate next easter but won't be moving till late 2012 at the earliest so will have to re-check any 1st July changes. Will probably use your mid range service.

How long do you get to move the car after the permit is granted? We can apply now as we meet the criteria but are we best to wait until we have a rough idea of when we are going. I know the permit can take time, but don't want it to expire on us.

Once you've got the import approval, it's yours, doesn't matter when the car actually comes in :)

hi :)

we have a japanese imported car, non uk spec, but is road legal in the uk. mot's etc..

will this cause any issues when shipping it across?

its a toyata estima, as i understand it, they are shipped into australia direct from japan also.

will it cause any undue headaches?

No dramas at all, people bring in Estimas as personal imports direct from Japan all the time, this is no different really.

Iron chief - regarding personnel import: did i read somewhere on this thread that you can, or should, apply online, obtaining a reference number then forward documents through the post?

I've gone back through a few pages and cannot see it, so thinking i may have dreamed it..

Guest GrahamP

Thanks Iron Chef for your help with my last question re shipping my Honda Jazz to Brisbane.

Ive just got my VIA through and will ship from Newcastle on 4th November by Anglo on a roro.

So just a couple of quick questions for those who are in the know

- any recommendations for insurance companies to use while shipping?

-is it worth steam cleaning the car before leaving the UK or will it automatically need to be redone in Oz on arrival? It seems really expensive in Oz.

Iron chief - regarding personnel import: did i read somewhere on this thread that you can, or should, apply online, obtaining a reference number then forward documents through the post?

I've gone back through a few pages and cannot see it, so thinking i may have dreamed it..

Theoretically you probably could, but I doubt they would be overly happy about receiving applications with only half the documentation. Don't expect it to get processed any faster when you get the paperwork you need. It's far easier (and cuts down their processing times too) to apply once you have all the paperwork.

Thanks Iron Chef for your help with my last question re shipping my Honda Jazz to Brisbane.

Ive just got my VIA through and will ship from Newcastle on 4th November by Anglo on a roro.

So just a couple of quick questions for those who are in the know

- any recommendations for insurance companies to use while shipping?

-is it worth steam cleaning the car before leaving the UK or will it automatically need to be redone in Oz on arrival? It seems really expensive in Oz.

Ask Anglo, they will no doubt have provision for insurance.

Aside from giving it a quick wash, there's no point getting a full detail/valet in the UK, as they generally have to get cleaned here either way.

It's expensive in Oz because it's a clean for quarantine requirements, not a car wash ;)

Guest boris342

Hi guys,

I have a question... I'm looking to buy a BMW e30 325i 1989 model from the UK. I dont want to register it on the road, I'm simply looking to rip it apart and turn it into a race car for the BMW e30 challenges... It would never be registered for the road...

Whats the deal with this? What would I pay, what would I not pay...

The whole process seems overly complicated for such a simple thing!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards. :D

Guest GrahamP

Ask Anglo, they will no doubt have provision for insurance.

Aside from giving it a quick wash, there's no point getting a full detail/valet in the UK, as they generally have to get cleaned here either way.

It's expensive in Oz because it's a clean for quarantine requirements, not a car wash ;)

Thx but Anglos insurance is more expensive at 3% and has quite limited cover so not good value for money and they sure wont recommend anyone else:)

I thought Id probably be hit for another steam clean in Oz - Ill take your advice about the quick wash. Even as a quarantine requirement, I reckon the $500 quoted by the movers is still steep though!

Hi guys,

I have a question... I'm looking to buy a BMW e30 325i 1989 model from the UK. I dont want to register it on the road, I'm simply looking to rip it apart and turn it into a race car for the BMW e30 challenges... It would never be registered for the road...

Whats the deal with this? What would I pay, what would I not pay...

The whole process seems overly complicated for such a simple thing!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards. :D

If it's built in 1988 by any chance, then you will find it's MUCH easier to bring in. Otherwise it can come in via the race/rally import scheme. You'd just need to demonstrate you have the correct racing licence in the UK to use the vehicle, if you have pics of yourself driving it on a track, that would help your case enormously. But like I said, check the build date first.

Thx but Anglos insurance is more expensive at 3% and has quite limited cover so not good value for money and they sure wont recommend anyone else:)

I thought Id probably be hit for another steam clean in Oz - Ill take your advice about the quick wash. Even as a quarantine requirement, I reckon the $500 quoted by the movers is still steep though!

My connections do insurance much cheaper than that (and probably the shipping too :wink:) , but again, this kind of reaches the bounds of where advice stops and running my business as a charity starts.... Ask Anglo if you can choose who clears the car at the Australian end, if so I can put you on to a broker who will probably do it cheaper than the crew they suggest.

Guest chameleon

Hi

My husband has a Honda Civic EP3 Type R that has had modifications of a supercharger and upgraded exhaust. It is used as a road car only but is his pride and joy. What chances are there of him being able to take this to Australia? It is 2005 and driven daily bought for £13000 in 2007 not modified. We have never seen this type of Civic in Australia.

Cham

Guest hazeotoole

Hi Iron Chef

Our motorbike has finally arrived in Perth and we picked it up on friday. been searching through posts to see what to do next to register/licentce it. Can you help?

thanks

Hey Iron Chef

You certainly have supplied a heap of useful information on this thread so thanks for that. I'm fairly sure the answer to both my questions is no .....but I thought i'd double check anyway.

I have been in Oz since Feb 2010 ...firstly on a working holiday visa and now on a 457. I can apply for residency in Feb 2013. Stupidly I sold my car before I came out here as I wasn't sure how long I was going to be here for.

I still have all my UK documents and a UK address ( parents ). If I was to purchase a car now in the UK and store it, would I be able to then import it over under the personal import scheme when I apply for residency in 2013 ?

I'm assuming you can't bring a car in under the personal import scheme if it is past to you as a gift from a family member ? ( i.e dad gives me his car that has been registered in his name for 5 years )

Hi

My husband has a Honda Civic EP3 Type R that has had modifications of a supercharger and upgraded exhaust. It is used as a road car only but is his pride and joy. What chances are there of him being able to take this to Australia? It is 2005 and driven daily bought for £13000 in 2007 not modified. We have never seen this type of Civic in Australia.

Cham

Hi Cham - there are EP3s in Australia (I used to own one myself!), all imported from Japan though, they were never sold here officially. The mods won't be a problem for import approval, although it may make registration a touch tricky depending on where you're moving.

Hi Iron Chef

Our motorbike has finally arrived in Perth and we picked it up on friday. been searching through posts to see what to do next to register/licentce it. Can you help?

thanks

Yes!

Hey Iron Chef

You certainly have supplied a heap of useful information on this thread so thanks for that. I'm fairly sure the answer to both my questions is no .....but I thought i'd double check anyway.

I have been in Oz since Feb 2010 ...firstly on a working holiday visa and now on a 457. I can apply for residency in Feb 2013. Stupidly I sold my car before I came out here as I wasn't sure how long I was going to be here for.

I still have all my UK documents and a UK address ( parents ). If I was to purchase a car now in the UK and store it, would I be able to then import it over under the personal import scheme when I apply for residency in 2013 ?

I'm assuming you can't bring a car in under the personal import scheme if it is past to you as a gift from a family member ? ( i.e dad gives me his car that has been registered in his name for 5 years )

Unfortunately you have to own AND use the car for 12 months, and you're gonna have a hard time convincing DIT of that if your passport says you weren't in the same country as the car ;)

And no to the second one too - I just had visions of the number of Porsches that would suddenly be 'donated' to people living here by their families living overseas lol

Just a little tip.

Don't bother with spending too much money on cleaning in the UK.

Mine was spotless when it left the UK (Oz agent confirmed that it arrived in same condition) and AQIIS have still insisted that it is steam cleaned in OZ. $200 for the inspection and $275 for steam cleaning.

I don't mind the cost; its just annoying when you believe you might be in the 5% that gets away with it. To be honest, I wish AQIS would just say that every car coming in has to be steam cleaned in OZ before clearance.

Hopefully picking it up in the next few days.

Thanks for all the help in this thread especially Iron Chefs valuable info.

Guest johny1946

hi iron chef

thanks for all the info up here on the thread,

but i dont see much about shipping classics over?

i was looking to bring my austin van 1957 with me to melborn but i am abit woried

about it not having seat belts fitted?

do you have many dealings with classics?

regards

johny

Guest johny1946

that is a good answer! many thanks for that.

my only other probblem is i purchased the car some 5 years back but it was a reck so i paid very little for it,a few hundred pounds to a local farmer to move it.

since then i have spent the last 5 years restoring it to its former glory.

have you any idea how this would be valued at the australian end/,would it be on the purchase price or what you have spent on it?

also can you recoment a roro service from southampton,and is this something you could deal with?

many thanks in advance

johny

Hi Can you help, we moved to Adelaide 5 wks ago, i left my Mondeo St200 in Uk with my Brother to sell, alas with cost of fuel in Uk no one will touch a 2.5 V6. So i am contemplating shipping it over. I have owned the car 5yrs and rather than give it away id rather ship it here to use. How would i go about shipping it out now we are allready in Adelaide as Permanent Residents.