recommend any hostels???

tartan adam

Hi Tartan,

I went to Perth a few years ago and stayed at a really nice hostel in Fremantle which is about 25 minutes east of the city in a place called Fremantle at Freos backpackers. Its a nice area and the hostel is just off the drag with nice resturants and bars around. I stayed at this particular hostel 3 years ago but still looks really nice. They have nice open fire places there and it has a really homely feel about the place and was not a really loud dirty place like some of the places you get in the CBD area.

www.backpackersinnfreo.com.au

It is a great location for also exploring Rock nest island which you can see from Freo. I was there about the same time of year your planning on heading there. Will be winter be shouldnt be too cold - prob between 12-18 in the day!

Anyway hope thats is yourself for you.

Coolibah Lodge in Northbridge. I stayed there for 3 months whilst in Perth. A lot of people there were 'longtimers' so it was like returning home after a day at work - two lounges make it feel really homely rather than a huge hostel.

This was back in 2005 so it may have changed a bit but it was definitely worth my recommendation back then.

Guest tim_the_taf

I'm told the Old Fire Station in Fremantle is pretty good. A good location, it's between the harbour and the station.

Personally I'd avoid Perth in the winter, head up north instead, and go to Perth in spring/ autumn. When I lived there I really didn't like the winters: not too cold, but cold enough to need heating of some sort, and there's no central heating. I got fed up with huddling round a convector heater. It also rains a fair bit. And since there's not much else to do in Perth/ Freo other than beach stuff, it gets pretty boring. Good time of year for surfing, but when you're used to a sea temp of 24C, 17C feels really cold. Weather's a lot better up north that time of year, and avoids going there in the summer when it gets really hot.

Archived