Do you recommend the experience?

Emma2

I have been reading some of the posts from people returning to the UK and it just made me wonder if you thought it had been a worthwhile experience or if you completely regretted the move to Aus?

We are due to move to Aus in December, although do not intend to stay permanently. Our kids are 4, 12 and 14 years old. We decided as a family that we would like an adventure together and the opportunity to experience of living in a different country so we're coming out on a 457 visa which will allow us to stay for up to five years. Having never been to Australia we don't know if we will enjoy living there or not but we figure that when we get there, if we're not that keen, we could just stay for a year. If we like it we could stay between 3 -5 years.

Do you feel, even though you are coming home, that it is something that you can see as an interesting life experience? Do you think it is something that the kids can look back on in a few years and feel proud that they have spent a few years living in a different country or are we totally just doing the wrong thing??!! (It's not too late for me to chicken out!!:laugh:)

By the way, I'd just like to say to all of you who are returning to be reassured that the UK is still a beautiful country! I can only speak for where I live but the people are friendly, the shops are great, the schools are fantastic and the healthcare isn't too bad either (that's coming from a nurse!) Why am I leaving again???

Would love to hear everyone thoughts.

Emma :unsure:

Hi Emma

We originally went out to Adelaide on a 457 visa with a view to staying after obtaining PR. Things didn't get off to a great start - first of all our daughter decided she wasn't coming only a few weeks before we were due to fly out. So, already leaving our 27 year-old son behind, that meant that two fifths of the family were not coming along with us (we'd managed to get our daughter on the visa along with our 19-year old son). So........the three of us went and made the best of it. without going into it, I guess on refelction AT THAT POINT IN TIME, the stars weren't in alignment for everything to point towards us staying. Our daughter came over to visit and had lost lost of weight (due to an issue we were already aware of, but in getting her over for a holiday we thought she might succumb to the draw of the great country that Australia is). Sadly she didn't want to stay. Our son setlled into life and made loads of friends, and we had some fantastic experiences which cannot be described (or rather can but cannot really be appreciated). Dolphins, Whales and their calves, roos, Koalas, wombats, fantastic sunsets, The Great Ocean Road, oh and Sydney on New Year's Eve!! All things that people back here at our former place of work neither apppreciate (or in truth) really want to hear about. We came back due to concerns about our daughter's health (how much would parents give up for the health of a child?) which we thought 'renouncing' our 457 was worth it. We've been to cairns and white-water rafted, the Great Barrier Reef, and seen very big crocodlies in the wild. But it's not all down to the 'sexy' stuff everyone expects - for us it was the climate, the culture and the way that business is conducted without the same level of 'red-tape' that exists here in the UK. In general, we said at the beginning that it would be better to have done it and have no regrets, than to regret not having done it. By-the-way, our daughter is much improved and is now keen to come out with her boyfriend, our son is still out there in QLD, and we are off to Tassi in a couple of weeks for a reccy with a view to moving back. Our first experience we feel was meant to be (so was our return) in that it has made us realise what we really want and where we want to be. you are correct, the Uk is a still a good country (we both are nurses) but since returning to my old Health Trust, I am even more dismayed at the levels of cuts and the pressures being placed on health care staff which sometimes borders on the dangerous. I have often worked long days without a drink let alone a break and that's not because I choose to it's because I (and my colleagues) had too much work on. I won't give advice to you, but I will say that we had an unbelievable time and made many friends. It is amazing how many people think we came back because we didn't like it - this is often supposed by colleagues who ask, "why did you come back here? Didn't you like it?" To which i reply that we absolutley loved it but had to come back due to the illness of our daughter. So it cannot be presumed that the reason for returning back to the UK is because people don't like Australia - there are many variables that can come together to create a positive or negative experience in anything we do in life. Hope this has been useful and that your family have as fantastic a time as we all had. XXX Jasp

Hi Emma

My husband and I and 4 sons went to Perth in 2005 on a 457 visa and stayed a year and then returned to the UK. I am also a nurse and enjoy working for the nhs here and also enjoyed working in Oz, I found both countries very similar, i work in intensive care. I always said we would stay a year because we are vey close to family and even though we were very tempted to stay for longer due to major family ill health and other problems we decided to come back. After saying that we had a brilliant experience and absolutely loved Perth, my boys were 1, 3,6 and 9 when we went and they all enjoyed the experience but also enjoyed returning home to be nearer family. they still have lots of memories of oz and still take boomerangs etc into school to show their friends. We landed on our feet as soon as we arrived and made some great friends and rented a lovely house beside the beach, sometimes we had to pinch ourselves that we were actually living there. I would definitely say go and have the experience but I would never slag the Uk off because there are good and bad about both countries. When we first came back it was lovely to see everyone again and then there was a spell of thinking that we really miss oz but eventually I feel really satisfied about being back here and finally feel my priorities are in the right place, my family is so more important than hours of sunshine. After saying that in 2008 we got a permanent visa and it is validated but due to the credit crunch we could not sell our house so we are here but I actually feel relieved about that!

All in all I think it is a brilliant experience for your children and life is too short not to take chance now and again.

Thank you for your replies, I feel much better now about the move. I think that it will give us the opportunity to have amazing experiences as a family and will give the children some interesting tales to tell when they return!

I am glad to hear that your daughter is well now Jasp, that must have been really tough on you with her being so far away when she was ill. We are like you and don't want to look back in years to come and regret not having gone.

We were originally thinking about the move as possibly being permanent but when I found out that my parents would not be able to get a parent visa, as they would still have 2 children back in the uk, I decided that there is no way that I would want to be in Australia when they were older and maybe needed me. Besides, as much as they drive me mad, I would miss them a lot! Like you Arlene, family is very important to me and I just couldn't bear the thought of not being away from them permanently. Since making the decision to stay for a limited number of years I am feeling much happier about going. I don't think I ever wanted to leave the UK permanently, like I said before, I just wanted an adventure.

Emma x

Guest rayman1

We had 5 months in Brisbane and moved back to the UK. Do I regret it? In a way yes. The different with us is that we moved with the view of staying so sold most of our things and took a big hit on our house. If, like you, we planned to go for a few years I would not have sold the house and just enjoyed the experience. At least I now know England is better. Do remember though, with your kids ages not to damage their chances of a good British education. All the best.

Cheers Em

You go for it and just enjoy it. It takes a lot of courage to leap into the unknown and away from a lifetime of familiarity. I missed Gary Linekar, Alan Hansen, University Challenge:GEEK:, Look North, The National gallery, Nelson's Column, and above all the great British standard that is the.....................BBC!! We are planning to go back as timing is better than before. We will miss our motherland but as the late great John Lennon said, "England will always be there, it aint gonna go away" and I see that on fb my former ward manager has just visited the UK, so I gues it's not that far away. :idea: If you live near Leeds and want a competitive price on flights, go into Thomas Cook's Albion Street branch and ask for John - our son - he may be able to give you a good deal!! tell him his dad (Jasper) sent you!!

Good Luck and God Bless

XX Jasp

Hi Emma

I'm like yourself only in reverse, I never came to the UK looking for better I came looking for different. Now even though I had no intention of living in the UK it didn't stop me from finding fault etc (human nature I guess LOL)

But never will I regret my time, I have some great memories and the bad things that have happened will fade away with time.

All I know is that when I catch up with old friends most will still be in the same job living in the same house, yes some may have moved and some may have married, divorced, had kids etc but I've been on a lifetime adventure and really lived....

My advice go for it :jiggy:

Thanks all

I think some people think I'm going a little bit mad (probably right!). I was telling my hairdresser yesterday that we were moving to Australia for a few years and then when we come back we're going to move to a different part of the country, just for a bit of a change! He said that I sounded like I was having some kind of breakdown! No sense of adventure some people!

I am very conscious of the children's education and it will be the thing that will guide our decision on how long to stay. I have found a school for them in Australia where they can study the International Baccalaureate as I felt this would be more transferrable.

Thank you for all your input and encouragement, I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes!

Emma

We had 5 months in Brisbane and moved back to the UK. Do I regret it? In a way yes. The different with us is that we moved with the view of staying so sold most of our things and took a big hit on our house. If, like you, we planned to go for a few years I would not have sold the house and just enjoyed the experience. At least I now know England is better. Do remember though, with your kids ages not to damage their chances of a good British education. All the best.

Was wondering how you were getting on... Hope things are good.

Thanks all

I think some people think I'm going a little bit mad (probably right!). I was telling my hairdresser yesterday that we were moving to Australia for a few years and then when we come back we're going to move to a different part of the country, just for a bit of a change! He said that I sounded like I was having some kind of breakdown! No sense of adventure some people!

I am very conscious of the children's education and it will be the thing that will guide our decision on how long to stay. I have found a school for them in Australia where they can study the International Baccalaureate as I felt this would be more transferrable.

Thank you for all your input and encouragement, I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes!

Emma

Go for it Emma, your hairdresser might be one of those people that like to stay in the same place all their life and then go into the nursing home and pop off this earth without doing anything adventurous or amazing. Each to their own of course, and while I didn't mean that to sound rude, I would hate to sit in the nursing home looking out at the rolling hills in front of me and wonder what is beyond them. It is a big wide world out there, maybe come for a couple of years, see a bit of Oz and NZ and maybe Asia and then hop off home again, it will still be there if you want it.

I, like Geoffrey, did the trip in reverse - I got on a plane with a backpack when I was 20 headed for London for a 6 month holiday and didn't return for several years, too much to see and do. I never regretted one single minute, had a ball. Good thinking with the IB, many schools are doing it now, perfect to be recognised everywhere.

Guest famousfive

If you can afford to go and have an exit strategy if you find you want to return then I would say go for it.Travel is a great education for everyone,especially for kids,and if you are able to do it then why not?We have been here nearly 2 yrs with the kids and plan on going home next year and I really believe we have all gotten something out of the experience.Hate it and regret it some days but really at the end of the day it has been a learning curve for us all which has made it all worthwhile.

Guest guest32776

I think you are wise to go with the view that is a temporary experience/long holiday - from this site it is clear lots of Brits have sold up everything and arrived here only to be disappointed and regret their decision fairly quickly. It will be a lot less stressful for you all and if you do decide to sell up and move down at later stage it can all be performed from here..At first I imagine you and the kids will love it - there are some lovely wildlife experiences to be had in a beautiful country . Personally I think Australia long term would be too sleepy and some argue it is insular - but I guess it all depends on the area. With regard to kids growing up in the UK or Australia I am very pleased i got my education, degrees etc in the UK - an adventurous little island nation - and so have been able to travel the world and live in lovely places later on in life. But, yes, go for it - but keep your doors open in the UK plus you have the added advantage of the likelihood of a gradually improving economy there...

Guest chris955

The situation is different for me as I grew up here but since working in the UK years ago and having lived there for a few years at a time I have grown very fond of the place. My wife is English and doesn't want to live anywhere else so the decision to live there is an easy one. I don't regret any part of my life and view living here as an adventure and a very enjoyable part of our life. I do want my kids to have a good education and when speaking to a friend who works in that area she said that Australian results aren't highly rated so that alone is good enough for me. I have loved almost all the time I have spent here and wouldn't change anything about my time.

Archived