Retrain your skills

Guest LongwayDown

Guest LongwayDown

I was wondering about the unemployment situation in the North of England that everyone seems to be talking about. What i cant understand is why dont some who are in a desperate situation retrain.

I know in Australia they had a big recruitment drive in the last couple of years for mature apprenticeships etc.

Do City and Guilds offer traineeships or accelerated NVQ's for these people or have the British government ceased training opportunities for them.

Surely if things in the UK are as grim as im hearing, it would boost the self esteem of many unemployed individuals give them an income through this recession as well as learn new skills.

The last group the government retrained en-mass were the miners, into call centre operatives. To perform functions that they then outsourced to American companies. Who since have been doing their best to move all call centres to India....

Ironically, Northern England does well in IT as it is seen as the cheapest place to employee UK resources.

Guest Toorak Trev

Interested in a discussion on retraining especially if it provides new skills to people currently working in slowing areas. There have been a few people who have contacted me about working or restarting in a different line of work once in Australia.

Did the govt not provide stimulus in the south when GM pulled out of luton?

Don't wish too comment on individuals (ie Pablo) as that perhaps should not have been mentioned in initial post.

But are interested in a discussion on retraining especially if it provides new skills to people currently working in slowing areas. There have been a few people who have contacted me about working or restarting in a different line of work once in Australia.

Did the govt not provide stimulus in the south when GM pulled out of luton?

Ive nothing against retraining btw,i admit i rarely enjoy bricklaying,however im hopefully emigrating(if hose sells!)to S.A,so no real use retraining in anything in the uk as in the main uk quals arent recognised in oz,as you probably know,however i do plan on maybe doing something different over in oz which i will be paying for myself when i see what is in demand.

The building industry allways has ups and downs,just that THIS down is lasting longer than usual,no dramas,it will change eventually.

Guest guest37336

OK, this is my personal view on the matter.

I am a qualified Carpenter/Joiner, Cabinet Maker and Wood Machinist (City and Guilds. Qualified Baker. Senior Service Advisor, (Commercial Mercedes Benz). ABTA Approved Travel Agent. Apple Mac Sales Advisor (non technical).

HGV licenced Driver (Class 2). Call Centre Manager. Prison Officer. Removal Operative. Driving Instructor (Grade 5) etc, etc.

Some of the jobs listed above I chose to leave (normally through a principle) and some I was made redundant. But I can with hand on heart say that at the present time none of the jobs above are recruiting to any great extent.

I have had a couple of months work in some of the sectors, but in reality the job market at the present time is awful. If I was made redundant or left of my own accord I ALWAYS made sure that I had a job to go to, always.

I would willingly retrain, but it does get my goat that I have always knocked my ring out with reference to employment and why the hell should I retrain AGAIN because the powers that be made such a god awful mess of running this country.

I am not saying I would not take any work, working in a shop etc, but at the end of the the powers (successive governments) that be decided to rung this country in a manner that was and is unattainable. But it is the normal people that are now picking up the pieces for their mistakes.

I am now working 18 hours a day for myself. It is a bloody struggle as I have to work around the needs of my wife and children, but I refuse to go cap in hand to a government that in the first instance treated me no better than scum.

So yes, I could take ANY work, but the simple fact of the matter is that why the hell should I, I did it in the past and more often than not got kicked in the teeth.

Bitter, me, NO. I have just come to the conclusion that if I want to make a better future for my family then I will take my own path and realise that at least my future is in my own hands thank you very much.

Anyone that says the UK is coming out of recession is talking out of their backsides, they really are. 'Officially' the recession may be over, but to Joe Bloggs on the street it is a different picture completely.

Cheers Tony :wink:

Archived