Help from those in Tasmania please

tasormelb

Hi All, I hope you are all well!

We are deciding if we should put our house on the market now (market is very flat) or let our son do his GCSE's. He is doing the usual maths, english, sciences, ICT etc but is also taking part in a young apprentice programe in engineering where he will spend several weeks working at some of the bigger companies in the area and will lead to City Guilds qualifications. Also motor mechanics and construction again at City Guilds level. Now I know GCSE's don't count in Oz but do City Guilds, I think the skills and confidence he will gain in the vocational areas are transferable and would help him gain employment, what do you think?

If son does GCSE's we will arrive May 2012, he will be 16yrs April 2012, what year will this put him into at school? I will also want him to do his high school certificate so that he can go to Uni if he wants but will staying in the UK until then make this harder for him?

Also can you tell we what the house market is doing there, are prices dropping at all and is the market slowing any?

Vanessa

Guest siamsusie
Hi All, I hope you are all well!

We are deciding if we should put our house on the market now (market is very flat) or let our son do his GCSE's. He is doing the usual maths, english, sciences, ICT etc but is also taking part in a young apprentice programe in engineering where he will spend several weeks working at some of the bigger companies in the area and will lead to City Guilds qualifications. Also motor mechanics and construction again at City Guilds level. Now I know GCSE's don't count in Oz but do City Guilds, I think the skills and confidence he will gain in the vocational areas are transferable and would help him gain employment, what do you think?

If son does GCSE's we will arrive May 2012, he will be 16yrs April 2012, what year will this put him into at school? I will also want him to do his high school certificate so that he can go to Uni if he wants but will staying in the UK until then make this harder for him?

Also can you tell we what the house market is doing there, are prices dropping at all and is the market slowing any?

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

I did see your post, but am unqualified to answer any of the educational questions you are posing! Maybe you could post this under education, people like Quoll should be able to answer your question... Skani (Tasmania) might also be able to assist or point you in the right direction.

I personally havent noticed a marked increase in housing, but naturally it depends on which city, Nr. CBD etc etc. certainly no decrease.

Hot property spots in Tasmania

:wubclub: Susie x

Sorry for the delayed response - my OH went off to hospital by ambulance at the weekend and I have been in and between hospitals since then.

The housing market has definitely slowed and may have dropped a little.

I would expect your son to be in year 10 at age 16.

I don't feel qualified to answer the other educational questions but have a friend who is a secondary school teacher and will ask her opinion.

Archived