poilce checks

Guest davemeggies

Guest davemeggies

hi all

if i have been in australia for 2 yeard on a whv and have secured a sponsor for work do i need to obtain a uk police certificate or an australian police certificate?

any help would be awesome

Guest davemeggies

i only ask because i missed a court date in the uk whilst over here and travelling india and im pretty sure there will be a warrent in the uk, suppose this will ruin my canches/??

the line in the sand that they seem to draw is at a 12 month custodial sentence in your past..

A case that is still open will likely to show up as a 'live trace' on your Police certificate I'd say it's probably worth speaking to a MARA agent in Australia asking them what you need to do.

Guest davemeggies

i know this my sound totally ignorant but do you know of any good ones? i have never ever been in trouble before and this is a petty charge from a while ago

Guest davemeggies

did you manage to get in with your problem? my problem sounds worst than it is really, there is extensive evidence stating it was self defence, i hit a bloke who fell and broke his ankle! was a total nightmare, drunken crowd the works. i thought it would get left now it appears there is a warrent and i may get charged in my absence! huge mess!

Guest davemeggies

Thanks for the advice mate! Glad everything went ok for you! Still insure of my plan as I guess I'm classed as " wanted" in the uk! Ha ha even under such ridiculous circumstances! I would love to stay innoz though and feel I could bring alot to australia

Guest davemeggies

the visa is also a 457! just so unsure what to do, i really dont wanna go back to the uk, spend 1000s on tickets and accomodation to undertake what will prob be a drawn out case, which ill be cleared of or at the very very maximum do community service which will be drawn out over months and months. any advice or help?

Hi there,

You could get a local info (SA1) Police check done £10 and see what shows up. This is also particularly useful if you want to see if past cautions, etc are still on the system. If they don't show up on a SA1 then surely you don't have to declare them on your visa forms, right?

At least you'll know what they have on you and then you can go from there with a migration agent.

I know you can get the SA1 form from any local police station front desk, not sure whether they are available on the internet though. The full police check is called an 'acro' and costs £35 (or £70 if you want it quick).

The UK Police check site is: www.acpo.police.uk

Best of Luck with everything, hope you manage to sort it all out and get your visa.

Liz

Guest davemeggies

hi liz

total nightmare i know, but im sure there will be a warrent for me in the uk. god even saying that i sound like a criminal i can assure you im not! there will be nothing on my record bar this, i was a shift firefighter on a refinary for 5 years, and even before that have never been in trounle (barring the speedong fine) just a nightmare, my girlfriend and my life is here now

I knew someone who was in a similar position, had gotten in a fight etc and it went to court. Now this guy already had his flights booked and visa granted before the court date, he did get legal advice and said that if in the future he wanted PR then he would need further police checks, they said even if found guilty it would look more favourable if he delayed his flights and attended court, faced his punishement than flee and have a warrant as that does not look too good for character reference. I know you won't want to hear it but I guess you will need to go to the Uk face the courts and then follow your dream to Australia. In the future when applying for visas, it does look more positive that when showing that you have no criminal convictions in Australia after this episode in the UK that this was a one off incidence. I just don't see any other way around it. I do feel for you and can certainly see why you would not want to return back to the uk, it must be a huge weight on your shoulders, I think you need to present yourself before they find you. Certainly get some legal advice before returning.

Guest davemeggies

what would my options be if they are? if they found me guilty in my absence? the cert would show up that i had been found guilty, but would it say i was "wanted" kinda thing.? a right mess i know i wish i hadnt off missed it

pomme kate- yeah it is a huge weight and a massive mistake! ive been informed by a solicitor that they wont actually look for me or actively search because of such a low level offence, the problem would arrise when i return to the uk, if i return

Guest davemeggies

yeah i will take this advice, i still have 18 months on my471 visa b4 i even have to think about going back! never realised id love this country so much!!

Guest davemeggies
In your situation, I'd get the police checks. You could be worrying over nothing! It might not of even gone anywhere in your absence. Like you said, it's a pretty low level offence.

will it look good if i stay for the remainder in oz and work and gain good records here? like i say ive still got 18 months left on my 417 whv

The best advice is that you speak to a migration agent that knows what they're doing.... A 457 might not have an extensive police check - but it is only a temporary visa. If at some point in the future you want permanent residency you will need to apply for a visa that requires the full Police checks from Australia and the UK..

We're all just well meaning amateurs on this forum. Get your UK police checks done (I'd advise a SAR and a ACPO certificate) so you know what you're up against. Then get some professional advice on what's best to do about it from an agent.

Archived