Adelaide, Darwin or Alice Springs...?

yorkcath

I've never been to Australia and I'm taking a year sabbatical to nurse there in about 6 months.

My agency have offered Darwin, Alice Springs or Adelaide. I'm newly single in my early 40's so I want to go somewhere fun and a bit quirky. I've heard Adelaide is great but more family orientated.

I'm thinking Darwin might be the best option and I don't mind the heat.

Any advice would be great please.

Guest siamsusie
I've never been to Australia and I'm taking a year sabbatical to nurse there in about 6 months.

My agency have offered Darwin, Alice Springs or Adelaide. I'm newly single in my early 40's so I want to go somewhere fun and a bit quirky. I've heard Adelaide is great but more family orientated.

My choice would be Darwin, an amazing place, yes its hot + the humidity but there is much to see and do. Adelaide is beautiful and Alice Springs comes with its own beauty and diversity, lucky you, I sincerely wish you much happiness whichever you choose.:hug:Susie

NB: Easy access and affordable for Bali as well x

Guest The Pom Queen

They are all beautiful places in their own way. For me it would have to be Darwin, it is our favourite place in Oz. Have fun and enjoy.

I would go Adelaide. Darwin is so very hot and, well, different.Very laid back and all but to get to the beauty spots it is at least half a days journey. No swimming in the sea there ( crocs) Lovely beach market, good food but that is about IT. Adelaide has heaps of lovely areas, good food, wine, social outlets etc. I wouldn't even consider the Alice.

Sounds exciting! I haven't been to Adelaide so don't know, but out of the other two if you don't mind humid heat I'd choose Darwin, Alice springs is ok if you're a camel and like the very dry dusty condtions. lol!

Guest guest32776

Darwin is definitely quirky and for a really different experience I would consider that as top of the 3. It is very very humid and the flies and mossies are irritating but you can deal with this with deet, coils etc. There are some very nice and chilly 50 metre outdoor pools for a cool off. The lightning storms in the rainy season are really incredible. The crocodiles up that end make swimming in the sea impossible but trips down the Adelaide river, Kakadu - with the huge crocodiles, brolga cranes etc are absolutely wonderful for the nature lover. There are a lot of Aboriginal communities up in NT and I think nursing there could be considered to be quite rewarding. Flights up to Bali are very cheap and there is a real Asian slant to Darwin due to the city's proximity. I have to say the Alice is really quite an odd place stuck in the middle of the desert. I would opt for Darwin over Alice although I don't know Adelaide. Good luck....

• 3 weeks later...

Ive never felt more claustrophobic than I did in Alice Springs.. I think having lived by the sea all my life I need to be near it! A.S was a nice place to visit, but its literally a town of about 20,000 in the middle of the desert!

Spent 4 months living in adelaide, and while smaller and quieter than sydney, it was an enjoyable 4 months.. The Barossa Valley where they make some of the finest wine is right nearby, and the beach isnt too bad..

Still havent made it to darwin yet...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ricky44

I love Adelaide. been there 4 times and would gladly move there if I was given the chance. Darwin is too humid and Alice Springs too dry, Adelaide is just perfect :) hope you make the most of it

Archived