Ozsceptic where are you

Guest valleylass

Guest valleylass

Have you made it to the the UK? Are you now UKSceptic? Let us know how it's going and if your lady wife is adapting to the Autumnal weather....:wink:

Guest Guest37175
Have you made it to the the UK? Are you now UKSceptic? Let us know how it's going and if your lady wife is adapting to the Autumnal weather....:wink:

Hiya love. It's a bit of a mixed bag really. Great to be back for me (the train journey from Euston to Liverpool was bliss looking out at all that greenery!) but rotten for my partner. She hates being back here as much as I hated being in Oz. Living in limbo doesn't help, but hopefully we'll have our own place soon and I'm praying that this will help her settle.

I felt instantly at home as soon as we arrived and got a bit weepy even on the Heathrow Shuttle to Paddington. Normally that's due to the prices, but for me it was just the rush of being home. Walking into my Dad's house and finding him in good spirits despite longstanding health problems was more than money could buy and worth all the stress that the move had caused.

I love being home, although the bloody rain in the North-West is getting on me nerves a bit!. It's nice to read PIO again too!. Australia Post lost my computer and then customs charged me shed-loads to clear it so it's good to hear all about how you good folks are getting on. Can't believe Aldo's left!, Harpo, the crown is now yours.....

Guest valleylass

It's good to hear from you and that the mixed bag is ever present!! The North-West is always rainy; I do find I experience the pull of 'home' coupled with a dislike for the flatness of the landscape (where my folks are) slightly discomforting.

We are crossing the Pennines today as we've got a party in't North West tonight; LOVE the Snake Pass. Hope your lovely lady begins to settle, have you decided where you'll live yet?

Guest guest36762

Hi oz

I'm really sorry to hear that oh is having probs

glad for you to be back 'ome mate

perhaps she'll need the carrot of yearly hols to aus....how flush are you?

Guest Guest37175
Hi oz

I'm really sorry to hear that oh is having probs

glad for you to be back 'ome mate

perhaps she'll need the carrot of yearly hols to aus....how flush are you?

Skint as mate, but the idea of a yearly holiday in Oz is very appealing though. Must mention that to the Bank Manager!

Avatar of the week by the way!. Derek and Clive = heroes!

Guest Guest37175
It's good to hear from you and that the mixed bag is ever present!! The North-West is always rainy; I do find I experience the pull of 'home' coupled with a dislike for the flatness of the landscape (where my folks are) slightly discomforting.

We are crossing the Pennines today as we've got a party in't North West tonight; LOVE the Snake Pass. Hope your lovely lady begins to settle, have you decided where you'll live yet?

Thanks Valleylass. Probably back in the South-East as that seems to be where we can easiest get work in our respective fields and the bulk of our British mates are based there.

Sorry to hear about the OH Oz - hopefully she doesnt hate UK quite as much as you did Aus! and having your own place will be a bonus - probably quite a way from your folk so that it doesnt feel to her like you have everything and everyone of yours around you whilst she has just you. If you are in the Norwich area on 21 October, we are having a bit of a get together of returnees, would be returnees and other locals! (well, you may be in the South East by then!!!)

All the very best, I do hope it works out for you!

Guest Guest37175
Sorry to hear about the OH Oz - hopefully she doesnt hate UK quite as much as you did Aus! and having your own place will be a bonus - probably quite a way from your folk so that it doesnt feel to her like you have everything and everyone of yours around you whilst she has just you. If you are in the Norwich area on 21 October, we are having a bit of a get together of returnees, would be returnees and other locals! (well, you may be in the South East by then!!!)

All the very best, I do hope it works out for you!

Thanks Quoll. I'll certainly do my best to make it. It'd be good to compare notes with other returnees. One of the truisms of returning is that just as it takes time to establish a life in Oz, it often takes just as long to re-establish a life in the UK. We're building up from scratch again and that's hard when you're in your 40's, but we're making progress....slowly!

Guest guest37336

Good luck to you and yours OZ.

I hope this doesn't mean the old OZ will go, and be replaced with a humourless robot. I among others will miss the often hilarious posts from Australia, keep up the good work mate, and as I said good luck to you and your family in the transition mate.

Cheers Tony:wink:

Guest JulieW

Hi OzSceptic,

I was wondering how things were going for you back in the UK having enjoyed your posts in Oz and sympathised with your predicament. I hope your OH will get on better in the SE - having grown up in the NW then moved to the SE, I know it does rain a lot less in the SE! Heres hoping the UK has one of those glorious Indian summers to cheer her up. All the best.

Julie

Guest Guest37175
Hi OzSceptic,

I was wondering how things were going for you back in the UK having enjoyed your posts in Oz and sympathised with your predicament. I hope your OH will get on better in the SE - having grown up in the NW then moved to the SE, I know it does rain a lot less in the SE! Heres hoping the UK has one of those glorious Indian summers to cheer her up. All the best.

Julie

Unfortunately Julie she's very, very unhappy, in a way which sadly echoes my own experiences in Oz. It's early days of course (one month) but we are already having discussions about a possible return to Oz next year for the sake of her mental health :sad:

Unfortunately Julie she's very, very unhappy, in a way which sadly echoes my own experiences in Oz. It's early days of course (one month) but we are already having discussions about a possible return to Oz next year for the sake of her mental health :sad:

Oh dear - it is early days and hopefully she will give you as much time as you gave her to try and settle. Which one of you can cope with mental illness better? May I suggest marriage counselling? I know it doesnt specifically address which country to live in but it does help towards achieving a compromise that both of you can live with (hopefully). My DH assures me that he would be as unhappy in UK as I am in Aus - I seriously doubt that but that is why he wont leave - at least your wife is giving it a go - and maybe your compromise is that you give it 2 years (which seems to be the magic number for the reverse argument) and then make a decision. You arent settled with a job and realistically you do need to at least try that for a while if you can.

Guest guest22466

Gees its a hard one....Quoll gives some good advice though....between the two of you who do you think would deal with the mental health issues the best ....its not easy one and I do feel for the both of you....Hope you can work something out. Take Care.

So sorry Oz...must be really tough for you both, thinking of you x

Guest valleylass

I can't imagine how it feels for you both, the wise sage Quoll seems to have said it all really. Only time will tell I suppose but blimmin' good luck to you both with your bitter sweet return.

Guest Guest37175
I can't imagine how it feels for you both, the wise sage Quoll seems to have said it all really. Only time will tell I suppose but blimmin' good luck to you both with your bitter sweet return.

Thanks Valleylass. Bittersweet is a very apt description as it stands right now. Fingers crossed that when she finds a job and we can settle into a new home with a school place for our daughter that she'll feel better about it all :unsure:

I feel for your oh as I know exactly how she feels and wish I could tell you it gets better, it does to a point but I still missed so much about my life away from the UK. My long time friends were all here in Aus and NZ and my family in UK were not close by and I felt like a fish out of water.

Fortunately my oh always wanted to leave UK as his brother had and we came back to live in Aus.

Archived