How do you know?

Guest yorkshirepud

Remember the holiday will be very pleasant especially as you are going to celebrate a wedding. Every one will be there having a good time and the reality of the UK's problems will not be apparent to you. However, if the only thing you find missing in Oz is your family well, that's it, unless they want to move to Australia, you will have to return. Just make sure. I have known so many to and from poms who were so sorry they made hasty decisions when they were quite emotional.

Best of luck.

Remember the holiday will be very pleasant especially as you are going to celebrate a wedding. Every one will be there having a good time and the reality of the UK's problems will not be apparent to you. However, if the only thing you find missing in Oz is your family well, that's it, unless they want to move to Australia, you will have to return. Just make sure. I have known so many to and from poms who were so sorry they made hasty decisions when they were quite emotional.

Best of luck.

hi thanks , i no it will be great time but it wont be reality when we go back but if i cant get my family here then even though i dont want to live in uk i will have to as miss them far to much . i know we have lots of thinking to do . good luck to you to

The worst thing is saying goodbye- knowing you won't see family for a long time. I remember that well. I never wanted to return to the uK but the farewells were heart wrenching. At one stage we went 10 years without returning or seeing my parents. It cost too much in those days and if you emigrated it was almost impossiblke to change your mind. In a way that was good- no ambiguity and you just had to commit. Luckily for us we both liked it but I have a friend who never did- and after 25 years she has returned to her native Scotland. Her children have grown up and live here.

The worst thing is saying goodbye- knowing you won't see family for a long time. I remember that well. I never wanted to return to the uK but the farewells were heart wrenching. At one stage we went 10 years without returning or seeing my parents. It cost too much in those days and if you emigrated it was almost impossiblke to change your mind. In a way that was good- no ambiguity and you just had to commit. Luckily for us we both liked it but I have a friend who never did- and after 25 years she has returned to her native Scotland. Her children have grown up and live here.

hi i no it awful i could never even go a year without seeing my fam i should have thought of that more , but if we do go back after a year then we had good time and experience but never no mum etc might move out so i would stay. your friend must miss her kids eh , so would you not return now ?

I agree that years ago when you emigrated you just had to get on with things. We were the same. We just threw ourselves in to our new life as we had to be totally committed. We did not have a phone, there were no social sites or Skype etc. I never returned to the UK for ten years because I did not feel the need to. My husband did go back for holidays, but that reduced after a while. I was able to function well without extended family. My husband and children were the most important people to me. Everybody is different and some will be miserable without being able to see family regularly. Anybody reading this post who is very close to their family (parents and siblings) should think twice before emigrating to Australia. No matter what Australia can offer you, they will be missing (unless they decide to go out there!). It just might save you a lot of time, money and heartache. We returned to the UK for a number of years so we could travel Europe. We are returning to Australia in November and will probably never return to the UK again. We don't need to. Australia can offer us everything that is important to us.

We will never return to the UK again now, we know that. It has changed so much for one thing and to us it is a foreign country. Our parents have all died and my husband has a brother there who never writes or communicates except for an occasional Christmas card when he remembers. So there is nothing for us there. We prefer to explore closer areas like New Zealand and remoter parts of Australia. To each his own I guess.

Archived