Useful things u wish u had known BEFORE emigrating...

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace

Ok. Visa was granted Dec 2008. We still have to sell our house but want to be in Melbourne next yr at some point. It has just recently dawned on me that there are quite a few aspects of living in Oz that we have not taken into consideration but will have to look at. Schooling-we have a toddler now so this was overlooked when we initially applied. Taxes. The fact we may never again own our own house. What about state pensions? What happens when we retire. There are so many things crossing my mind now! help!

Guest sunnyday

I can't pretend to know all the ins and outs of schooling. What I do know is that we have just enrolled our son in public school in Melbourne suburbs and are looking at about $700- 800 start off fees, which includes uniform, stationary etc.

Guest guest30038
I can't pretend to know all the ins and outs of schooling. What I do know is that we have just enrolled our son in public school in Melbourne suburbs and are looking at about $700- 800 start off fees, which includes uniform, stationary etc.

Another reason to get yer pale freckled bum over to Brizzy. School's free here. :tongue:

kev

Guest sunnyday
Another reason to get yer pale freckled bum over to Brizzy. School's free here. :tongue:

kev

I give up :biglaugh: I'm moving to Queensland :wink:

Guest guest30038
I give up :biglaugh: I'm moving to Queensland :wink:

I'll tell Yvonne to get a room ready.............she's got 3 spare...........the bloody spendthrift! :wink: :biglaugh:

:) Pale freckled bum.... How did you know ;)

I am a bit worried about school fees but if everyone else has to pay them then it can't be totally unaffordable....

We have to stay in Vic for 2 years as it's state nomintated visa but I have heard of quite a few who got there, hated it and headed off to Queensland! We lived in Melbourne back in 2005 when the GBP was so much stronger. Think it will be a shock to the system now...

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi, i think its normal to have allsorts of worries about emigrating and finances are close to the top of the list.

Its is difficult to quantify costs, because they vary so much, but................ some big uk out goings are nearly half as cheap in Australia.

Rates

Petrol

Gas

Electric

You then have this surplus of cash to pay for things like schooling, dentists, extra health care etc.

You see, its the old swings and roundabouts thing, but it works out fairly even as long as you calculate your wages at $2.2 to £1. Ignore the current rate because most wages in Australia for jobs such as police, nurses, prison officers, builders, electricians, etc are based on this rate. So if you collectively earn £50,000 in the uk, you need wages of $110,000 to have a similar standard of living.

As for pensions, here in the uk pensions for millions have just been reduced, meaning people will have to work longer and receive less, where in Australia pensions are still good and they have a really good system where the company you work for put in alot of money towards you having a good retirement, it is the law. Here in the uk, millions of people have no pension rights other than the crap state pension, so people will have to work, if they can get a job, until they die.

Jobs prospects and pensions are far better in Australia than the uk.

Archived