Does anyone know which UK bank cards work in OZ?

BIG SUR

Hi, was in Perth last year and couldnt get any of my Halifax/Bank of Scotland debit cards to work, they were both Visa Debit current accounts.

Does anyone know which Uk bank cards are likely to work?

Moving to Perth in 4 weeks or so, cant wait to get out of the UK!!

Hi, was in Perth last year and couldnt get any of my Halifax/Bank of Scotland debit cards to work, they were both Visa Debit current accounts.

We were in Aus for a year and use the same bank as you and all we did was let them know we would like to use the cards in Aus, and cards worked no problem - just remember you will have a charge, I think if i remember correctly, it was around 1.50 GBP every time you use the card at an ATM.

My Bank Of Scotland Visa Debit Card worked absolutely no problem in various ATMs when I was in Brisbane in June/July this year.

I phoned the bank first and told them where I was going and for how long. Never had any problems.

I think I used Bank of Queensland, Bendigo, St George and WestPac ATMs at the very least.

I have a HSBC account that is registered to my Oz address. It's just handy to keep an account for UK spending!! Even though it is registered to my Oz address I have had a few calls saying they think it is being used fraudulently in Oz DAH!

Although there are HSBC branches here they are unable to do anything with a UK account you either need to register for online banking or ring the call centre (good luck!)

They have a limit on you card at first of about $400 a day for that they charge about a fiver I think. I only use it at the ATM, it's hit and miss in shops.

regards

Michelle

I still have a Barclays card that I use for a couple of standing orders that come out of the UK still, I can use it in Westpac over here to withdraw money with no charge and as a debit card and just pay a small processing fee.

All cards should work, just call your bank and let them know when your coming and they'll add notes to your account so it doesnt get stopped (hopefully!)

I have a HSBC account that is registered to my Oz address. It's just handy to keep an account for UK spending!! Even though it is registered to my Oz address I have had a few calls saying they think it is being used fraudulently in Oz DAH!

Although there are HSBC branches here they are unable to do anything with a UK account you either need to register for online banking or ring the call centre (good luck!)

They have a limit on you card at first of about $400 a day for that they charge about a fiver I think. I only use it at the ATM, it's hit and miss in shops.

regards

Michelle

I have an HSBC credit card which I applied for and got here in Oz, fine so far but yesterday I rushed away from work to try and get to the Queen street branch in Brisbane, the dam thing shuts at 4pm!! all the other banks on Queen street ( That's just about every one you can think of), are all open until at least 5pm and open on Saturdays too. HSBC, 9am-4pm Mon to Thursday, 5pm on Friday and CLOSED on Saturday. I don't know when a person who works can actually visit this establishment without taking time off work!! maybe I'm old fashioned and a technophobe so maybe we are all destined to speak to faceless people on phones or through the net!!!

Archived