Relocating to Melbourne

Debbie Emblem

Any advise please. We're relocating to Melbourne in January with our 6 year old son. Never been to Melbourne before, never mind Australia! Can you let us know which are the nicest and most reasonable suburbs to move to. We're thinking about Geelong, Sunbury and the Eastern Suburbs. Also looking for a good primary school. Can any Mum's and Dad's recommend a school? As if we haven't got enough on our plate, we're bringing our pet dog with us. How difficult is it to find rented accommodation which will allow dogs. We're going to be in a Serviced Apartment for the 1st month, but really need to rent once our dog is out of quarantine.

Hi there, just to let you know there was a post earlier today about Geelong area, (think the titles was Geelong, give it a thought, something like that). For us we liked Geelong, we were slightly further down in a great place called in Torquay (about 15 mins from Geelong centre).

You do get rental propertes on the market that allow dogs/pets, but would say this might limit you slightly, but am pretty sure you will find somewhere to your liking, but remember do have a good look around, dont just jump at the first one you like, thats what we did and ended up breaking our lease (in hind sight we shouldnt have signed a 12 month contract, should have gone for 6 month min, but were a bit nieve and thought the agent knew best) and moving to Torquay 4 months later. All the best in your new adventure.

Geelong is about an hour out of the city by train. It has a nice "prom" with a small beach and at one end a sea water swimming pool, other than that you need to wait for the Geelong experts to come along.

January will be the school holidays and to be honest you can sign up one day and start the next, your little boy I imagine will go into prep if he is 6 or year one if he is 7 before the end of April 2011 ( I think thats right) Get the right rental property for you then worry about a school, nothing like starting them in school and realising it's not the area for you.

As for rentals, if you get it put into the contract that you will put right anything the dog does then there should not be a problem. As said, don't rush, you will find something don't sign up in a panic Also really think about what you can get by with, I was stubborn in that I didn't want anything smaller than our UK home and a 4 bed property puts the price up, and the liveable space is not any bigger in our experience.

We live in Eltham which suits us just great, others find it too rural Templestowe, Doncaster, Donvale, Park Orchards, Ringwood North, Croyden Hills are all nice too.

You need to think about what you want from an area, is the sea important or close to the city, parks/open space? Melbourne is huge, it can take 2 hours to drive from one side to the other and you can't get a feel until you arrive. Don't panic, you just have to be organised and get started as soon as you arrive. Driving round and getting a feel for the place.

Just don't do as I did and think that arriving in January we would be almost through the summer and pack your woolies! It doesn't cool down until the end of March at least.

best of luck

Michelle

Any advise please. We're relocating to Melbourne in January with our 6 year old son. Never been to Melbourne before, never mind Australia! Can you let us know which are the nicest and most reasonable suburbs to move to. We're thinking about Geelong, Sunbury and the Eastern Suburbs. Also looking for a good primary school. Can any Mum's and Dad's recommend a school? As if we haven't got enough on our plate, we're bringing our pet dog with us. How difficult is it to find rented accommodation which will allow dogs. We're going to be in a Serviced Apartment for the 1st month, but really need to rent once our dog is out of quarantine.

:biggrin: hia debbie

i am in frankston x the other side of melbourne by mornington

do you have a job to come to x

good luck and best wishes

if you need any info x please pm me x

love carole x

Hello Debbie, when applying for rentals you can never have to much paperwork in the form of references bank statements and the like. A letter confirming your future employment and salary are extremely helpful. If you have a mortgage ask the mortgage provider to supply you with a reference indicating you were regular and prompt payers it all helps. Our bank the Halifax takes up to 2 weeks to supply this so gather all this up prior to leaving. Take care and good luck

Guest Booksnhorses

Hi Debbie,

We've just arrived (2 weeks ago) and we are now living in Ocean Grove (which is quite near Torquay mentioned above), also 15 mins from Geelong. I'm loving it here at the mo - right by the sea, lovely people etc - looking for rentals. Quite a lot of rentals say no pets round here although I have been round one where there was certainly a dog - perhaps they snuck it in later? Pricewise I'm looking from $300 to $500 per week. For $300 it is quite small 3 beds generally, one that we looked at yesterday which was cheap but large had about 50 couples come to inspect it (they tend to have open sessions where everyone turns up here) - honestly we were queuing out the door, it was hilarious. For $500 there are some huge houses with 2/3 living areas, 4 beds etc. They don't go much on gardens tho, it'll probably be a fairly small yard.

I'm looking at primaries at the mo, and the teachers couldn't be more friendly, really excited by it all, my daughter turns 5 in Jan so will go into prep in Feb. Kinder place is a bit more tricky but that won't be you anyway.

Really good luck with it all. If you end up near here PM me for a meet up.

xx

Claire, Dave and Leonora

Archived