School fee's

Smithy Family

Guest helen & simon

Hi Debs,

You don't say what visa but not sure it makes a difference anyway. We are in Qld on a Student Visa and we pay $8040 a year. :arghh:

Helen

Do you mean the "voluntary contributions" that every school levies? In which case they will be pretty much the same as you are paying now I should think. If you are on an international student visa then budget for around $10k per child with all the added costs as well as the fees.

We're currently in NSW and there are no mandatory school fees for state schools, just voluntary contributions. We are moving to Queensland at the end of the year and currently looking into schools. So far the only mention of fees I've come across is for schools in the Catholic or Private system. They vary quite a lot, but it's about $1000 per child per year for Catholic schools and about $6000 per child per year for private schools (depending on the school of course). That is only for permanent residents or citizens, not those on temporary visas who I believe have to pay a big whack of fees no matter what the school.

Good luck for your move to Queensland - we can't wait :-)

Guest guest30038
Thanks for the replies.

We're on a perm visa so we pay around $300 (not voluntry) a yr for school fees is this the same as QLD then

Nope. State schools are fee free for citizens and those on PR.

kev

Thanks for the replies.

We're on a perm visa so we pay around $300 (not voluntry) a yr for school fees is this the same as QLD then

It's the same across the country - however the fees are technically voluntary, state schools are not allowed to enforce payments but most parents decide to pay them and the schools do put the hard word on you. It's sort of a moral obligation really. If you are hard up then most schools will accept that and not pester you but, really, if your kid uses their loo roll, tissues, pens, paint etc then it isnt much to come up with. Some subjects in secondary have fees attached - like photography, home ec etc and as you are using consumables it is only fair to pay the fees.

Guest guest30038
It's the same across the country

if it is then some schools arent asking for the fees :elvis:

I've had a total of 17 kids in 5 different schools and not one of the schools has mentioned fees.

kev

if it is then some schools arent asking for the fees :elvis:

I've had a total of 17 kids in 5 different schools and not one of the schools has mentioned fees.

kev

Werent your kids in private schools?

State schools can, and generally do, have a voluntary contribution levy FNM-PR-019: State Education Fees although they are not obliged to of course. http://education.qld.gov.au/strategic/eppr/finance/fnmpr019/definitions.html

Guest guest30038
Werent your kids in private schools?

State schools can, and generally do, have a voluntary contribution levy FNM-PR-019: State Education Fees although they are not obliged to of course. Definitions

Not initially. Only put 'em in private once the mortgage was paid off. The other kids were foster kids, 2 of whom I put in private also (all girls school for their own protection).

kev

It's the same across the country - however the fees are technically voluntary, state schools are not allowed to enforce payments but most parents decide to pay them and the schools do put the hard word on you. It's sort of a moral obligation really. If you are hard up then most schools will accept that and not pester you but, really, if your kid uses their loo roll, tissues, pens, paint etc then it isnt much to come up with. Some subjects in secondary have fees attached - like photography, home ec etc and as you are using consumables it is only fair to pay the fees.

It is compulsary to pay school fee's here in Adelaide they also add a voluntary payment on top :no:. There is a thread on adelaide now about parents being taken to court for non payment of school fee's. On top of this we have to supply all equipment exercies books,pens, pencils, ect. I find it strange how things differ from state to state.

thanks for you replies

I am coming over on spouse visa, which means I will be a temp resident for 2 years, does this mean I will have to pay school fee's for my daugher, or has anyone a link so I can look into this a bit deeper, many thanks

No you wont have to pay fees other than the voluntary contributions.

Archived