Good chance of Evans and Metcalfe moving out

User Name

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi User Name

I was told by DIAC's Regional Director for Europe over a week ago that Andrew Metcalfe is 99.9% likely to be moved to another Department. Apparently Mr Metcalfe is only 52 and these top public servants are only appointed to a given Department for 5 years at a time. Mr Metcalfe was appointed to DIAC in 2005 and his 5 year tenure is now finished.

The Director, David Wilden, also said that Chris Evans has let it be known that he is sick of being "beaten up" about the boat people and that he expects a better portfolio in the next Government if there is to be a Labor Government. I gather that Evans is far more interested about what happens inside Australia than in issues concerning Immigration to Australia. He might well think that putting up with the Immigration portfolio for 3 years is more than enough Immigration for him.

I feel for the Aussie Voters, though. I suspect that Evans is after the DEEWR because his own background is as a hack employee of various Trades Unions. I am quite sure that his Trades Unions paymasters and ex-employers would want him to stamp Trades Unionism all over the DEEWR and to call doing so, "essential reform."

He might have enough clout to split Education out of the DEEWR and to send Education off to be dealt with by its own Minister elsewhere.

Personally, though, I still think that the best job for Evans would be to make him the Minister Assisting the Minister for Golfing in the Outback - or an equivalent role in which the plonker cannot cause the same sort of serious harm that he has caused in his 3 years of meddling with the Immigration portfolio.

Cheers

Gill

The sooner Evans leaves the better it will be on humanity. He just refused 70 odd asylum seekers from afghanistan because his definition of 'refugee' is if your name is on the target list of some terror organization. He said so on a televised program. He should try to live in a war zone for 2 hours and then give the definition again.

I'm interested to know, though, if someone else becomes the minister, does that automatically void the priority processing?

Hi User Name

I was told by DIAC's Regional Director for Europe over a week ago that Andrew Metcalfe is 99.9% likely to be moved to another Department. Apparently Mr Metcalfe is only 52 and these top public servants are only appointed to a given Department for 5 years at a time. Mr Metcalfe was appointed to DIAC in 2005 and his 5 year tenure is now finished.

The Director, David Wilden, also said that Chris Evans has let it be known that he is sick of being "beaten up" about the boat people and that he expects a better portfolio in the next Government if there is to be a Labor Government. I gather that Evans is far more interested about what happens inside Australia than in issues concerning Immigration to Australia. He might well think that putting up with the Immigration portfolio for 3 years is more than enough Immigration for him.

I feel for the Aussie Voters, though. I suspect that Evans is after the DEEWR because his own background is as a hack employee of various Trades Unions. I am quite sure that his Trades Unions paymasters and ex-employers would want him to stamp Trades Unionism all over the DEEWR and to call doing so, "essential reform."

He might have enough clout to split Education out of the DEEWR and to send Education off to be dealt with by its own Minister elsewhere.

Personally, though, I still think that the best job for Evans would be to make him the Minister Assisting the Minister for Golfing in the Outback - or an equivalent role in which the plonker cannot cause the same sort of serious harm that he has caused in his 3 years of meddling with the Immigration portfolio.

Cheers

Gill

Well said, Gill. What makes him think that he deserves a better portfolio, when he underperforms in the Immigration portfolio?

Guest Jamie Smith

I'm confused.

I watched this video and couldn't figure out if this was Gillard and Evans, or Evans and Metcalfe, doing the merengue.

Guest Gollywobbler
I'm confused.

I watched this video and couldn't figure out if this was Gillard and Evans, or Evans and Metcalfe, doing the merengue.

!

:biglaugh::wubclub:

Just hope that 'new ideas' won't be as stupid and horrific as previous ones.

It is some psychological pattern that people think if one doesn't serve them right, the next one will.

I am just wondering why migration agents don't organize themselves for some media attention about the situation.

It is some psychological pattern that people think if one doesn't serve them right, the next one will.

I am just wondering why migration agents don't organize themselves for some media attention about the situation.

I have been asking myself the same question ' why don't all the migration lawyers raise these q's with DIAC ' - I have'nt found an answer yet!!

The last time I had a chat with my lawyer he told me they were busy with the 2007 pre Sep applicants.......

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

I'm confused.

!

LOL...goodone...... the dog seems to be dressed in female clothes...but still the latter could be true as well!!!

:laugh:

Guest Gollywobbler
LOL...goodone...... the dog seems to be dressed in female clothes...but still the latter could be true as well!!!

:laugh:

Hi Manj

The dog is blond-grey, the colour of a Rich Tea biscuit. So is Metcalfe.

The dog is definitely not a Ginger Nut, whereas Gillard definitely is!

As for the bloke in the red shirt, he is pretty fit and he is not overweight - unlike Evans. He is also 20 years younger than Evans but apart from those factors, I'd say that the resemblance is good!

Cheers

Gill

Hi Manj

The dog is blond-grey, the colour of a Rich Tea biscuit. So is Metcalfe.

The dog is definitely not a Ginger Nut, whereas Gillard definitely is!

As for the bloke in the red shirt, he is pretty fit and he is not overweight - unlike Evans. He is also 20 years younger than Evans but apart from those factors, I'd say that the resemblance is good!

Cheers

Gill

Got it Gil - thanks!!!

CAT (4), 885 applied 2008 AUG, ICT - Recent graduate NEC, IELTS 8.0, NAATI qualified, Currently employed as a ICT Project Officer

The sooner Evans leaves the better it will be on humanity. He just refused 70 odd asylum seekers from afghanistan because his definition of 'refugee' is if your name is on the target list of some terror organization. He said so on a televised program. He should try to live in a war zone for 2 hours and then give the definition again.

I'm interested to know, though, if someone else becomes the minister, does that automatically void the priority processing?

Ha ha

Evans is on the humanitarian side Abbott and the coalition want the boats to be turned round or blown out ofthe water

ps as do a lot of aussies ,why do you think there is a hung parliament , the libs used asylum on their manifesto

Guest Jamie Smith

Yes...... that would be a demotion for Evans who is a senior member of the Labor cabinet. It might be more discreet to mask his demotion by appointing a more experienced hand as his deputy, Simon Crean comes to mind. :goofy:

Yes...... that would be a demotion for Evans who is a senior member of the Labor cabinet. It might be more discreet to mask his demotion by appointing a more experienced hand as his deputy, Simon Crean comes to mind. :goofy:

Crean was born in Melbourne. He is the son of Frank Crean, a federal Labor MP from 1951 to 1977, who was at separate times Treasurer, Trade Minister, and Deputy Prime Minister in the Gough Whitlam government,[3] and the brother of Dr David Crean, a former Labor member of the Parliament of Tasmania. He was educated at Middle Park Central School, Melbourne High School and Monash University. Following his graduation from Monash University with degrees in economics and law, Simon Crean worked in a number of trade unions before becoming an official with the Storeman and Packers Union, of which he became General Secretary in 1979.

In 1977, his father, Frank Crean, retired from Federal politics and made the seat of Melbourne Ports vacant. The ALP preselection was between Simon Crean and Clyde Holding, with Holding winning.

In 1981 Crean became Vice-President of the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU), and in 1985 he was elected the organisation's President.[3] In this role he played a key role in negotiating agreements on wages and other industrial issues with the Labor government of Bob Hawke. In 1990 he left the ACTU to go into politics.

At the 1990 election, Crean was elected to the seat of Hotham in the Australian House of Representatives, and immediately entered the Hawke ministry as Minister for Science and Technology.[3] He became Minister for Primary Industries and Energy in 1991 and Minister for Employment, Education and Training in 1993.[1]

[edit] Labor Party leader

Following the Labor Party's 1996 election defeat, Crean contested the deputy leadership of the party but was defeated by Gareth Evans, 42 votes to 37.[4][5] He was an Opposition front-bencher until Labor's defeat at the 1998 election. He was then elected Deputy Leader of the Opposition and became shadow Treasurer in succession to Evans. In November 2001, following Labor's third consecutive election defeat, he was elected unopposed as the Leader of the Labor Party and the opposition following the resignation of Kim Beazley.[6]

On 4 February 2003, Crean led the Labor Party in condemning Prime Minister John Howard's decision to commit Australian troops to the Iraq War.[7]

Through most of 2003, consistently poor polling led to constant speculation of a leadership challenge by Beazley, though a reasonably successful Budget reply speech and the controversy over Peter Hollingworth gave Crean a small boost in popularity. Nevertheless, to end the constant rumblings over a challenge, Crean called for a leadership spill. Polls continued to suggest that the public much preferred Beazley to Crean; nevertheless, when the vote was taken on 16 June 2003, Crean won by 58 votes to 34.

By November, however, polls continued to show Crean losing more ground to Howard as preferred Prime Minister. On 27 November 2003 a group of his senior colleagues told Crean that he had lost the party's support and should resign. Crean said he would "sleep on it". On 28 November 2003, Crean announced that he would resign as Leader of the Labor Party, becoming the first federal Labor leader to be replaced without having contested an election.

[edit] Post leadership career

After Crean's resignation, Beazley and the Labor Party's Treasury spokesperson, Mark Latham, announced that they would contest the Labor leadership. At the meeting of Labor MPs on 2 December, Latham defeated Beazley by 47 votes to 45.

Latham then appointed Crean as the Opposition's shadow Treasurer, which gave him a continued prominent role in Australian politics. However, in the aftermath of Labor's defeat in the 2004 election, many in the Labor Party felt that Crean's performance in the campaign was poor and that he was partly responsible for Labor's defeat[citation needed]: as a result, Crean resigned from his Shadow Treasurer position.[8] At Latham's insistence he was re-elected to the Opposition front bench and became Shadow Minister for Trade.

Crean retained this position when Beazley returned to the leadership in January 2005. In the June 2005 reshuffle, however, Crean was demoted to Shadow Minister for Regional Development. He faced a preselection challenge for his seat from Martin Pakula, a member of his former union, a move which he blamed on Kim Beazley, Hong Lim, and the Labor Right. Beazley refused to publicly support either candidate, but several front-benchers including Julia Gillard supported Crean. Crean won preselection after an unexpectedly strong win, recording around 70% of the votes in the first stage of voting, which led to his opponent's withdrawal. Since his victory Crean has singled out Senator Stephen Conroy for his part in the preselection challenge, describing his front-bench colleague as "venal" and "one of the most disloyal people I've ever worked with in my life".[9]

Following the defeat of Kim Beazley and election of Kevin Rudd as Federal Labor leader in December 2006, Crean was reappointed as Shadow Trade Minister and also retained responsibility for regional development. In 2007 after Labor's election victory, Crean was appointed Minister for Trade in Kevin Rudd's ministry.

Following Julia Gillard's ascension as Prime Minister in June 2010, Crean was appointed Minister for Education, Employment and Workplace Relations and also Social Inclusion, with the Trade portfolio moving to Stephen Smith.[1][10] He is the only person to have been a Cabinet minister under Hawke, Keating, Rudd and Gillard. In over two decades as an MP, Crean has not spent a single day on the backbench.

[edit] Foreign trade

Crean visited Singapore and Vietnam from 21–26 July 2009 to pursue Australia's trade and economic interests at a range of ministerial and other high level meetings. On 24 July, Minister Crean co-chaired the 8th Joint Trade and Economic Cooperation Committee with the Vietnamese Minister of Planning and Investment Vo Hong Phuc in Hanoi.[11] The meeting aimed to discuss key sectors in the bilateral relationship including education and training, infrastructure and environmental management, financial services and agribusiness. "As we progress toward implementation of the ASEAN-Australia New Zealand Free Trade Agreement, I look forward to discussing its practical contribution to the bilateral trade and investment relationship with Vietnam," he said.

Crean was accompanied to Vietnam by a business delegation and visited Ho Chi Minh City from 25–26 July. Earlier from 21–23 July, Crean attended the APEC Meeting of Ministers Responsible for Trade and the OECD Roundtable on Sustainable Development in Singapore.

Guest true blue sue

You didn't quite get it right, the Afghanis in the Darwin detention centre had all had their refugee status refused after going through the legal process at the Australian taxpayers' expense, so it was the Australian courts who determined if they were genuine refugees.

Guest true blue sue
I'm confused.

!

Why would you think it funny to refer to our Government ministers as dogs?

Guest Jamie Smith

I'm going easy on them today, they have after all been playing musical chairs around a poker table for the last 17 days, before two players with weak hands stole the kitty.

The analogy in this video was too strong to refuse. But I still can't make up my mind which of people referred is the one who follows instructions no matter how humiliating????

Guest true blue sue
I'm going easy on them today, they have after all been playing musical chairs around a poker table for the last 17 days, before two players with weak hands stole the kitty.

The analogy in this video was too strong to refuse. But I still can't make up my mind which of people referred is the one who follows instructions no matter how humiliating????

Sorry, it's a weak analogy and I still don't think it's funny. Reminds me of Indians calling Andrew Simons a monkey during the test matches in India. Pretty disgraceful.

Guest Jamie Smith
Sorry, it's a weak analogy and I still don't think it's funny. Reminds me of Indians calling Andrew Simons a monkey during the test matches in India. Pretty disgraceful.

Well, you're the one who told jokes about Lebanese and men.

I guess you voted Labor....:SLEEP:

Guest true blue sue
Well, you're the one who told jokes about Lebanese and men.

I guess you voted Labor....:SLEEP:

You guessed absolutely right. :biglaugh:

You didn't quite get it right, the Afghanis in the Darwin detention centre had all had their refugee status refused after going through the legal process at the Australian taxpayers' expense, so it was the Australian courts who determined if they were genuine refugees.

Yeah!!! POOR EVANS tried his best but there was nothing he could do!!!

That can't be right. There is a reason he is the minister of immigration and that is to deal with such issues. I was using words he himself said on tv in my previous post about refugee processing.

i'm going easy on them today, they have after all been playing musical chairs around a poker table for the last 17 days, before two players with weak hands stole the kitty.

The analogy in this video was too strong to refuse. But i still can't make up my mind which of people referred is the one who follows instructions no matter how humiliating????

nicely said!!!

Archived