Speakman Road Flemington

Guest mccarudd2

Guest mccarudd2

Hi

went to see a nice flat in Flemington today that I'm thinking of buying. Cruising around realestate.com, however, I found no less that 11 flats for sale in the same block. What am I missing?

Guest newnico
Hi

went to see a nice flat in Flemington today that I'm thinking of buying. Cruising around realestate.com, however, I found no less that 11 flats for sale in the same block. What am I missing?

Have you tried posting this on Britvics, in case there's someone who knows that area well? Given the shortage of property in Melbourne it does seem odd that there's a lot for sale at the same time in one block. I recently stayed in Parkville, just off Flemington Rd. and found the traffic noise very loud, but I don't know whether that would be a problem.

Hope you get an answer.

Nico

Guest mccarudd2

Thanks mate

I think I've solved the mystery. The Section 32 was full of a 'flood escape plan'-it looks like there are concerns that the basement of the building isn't adequately protected against flooding. Much as the doc tries to assure occupants that contingency plans are in hand, I find the fact that there needs to be a flood action plan alarming. It looks to me as if the builders have slammed up a building somewhere they shouldn't have, necessarily.

The estate agent explained that 11 flats for sale in a block of 1000 is about standard in a market where 1 in 100 homes are up for sale. He also, however, initially refused to send me the section 32 unless I completed a 'non-legally binding' expression of interest-a procedure that I've never heard of-citing 'company policy', then decided to send it to me anyway-so it all seems pretty shady to me.

Although to be fair the whole market does. I would say 90% of the agents I meet-and I've met lots right now-wouldn't know the meaning of the phrase 'code of practice' if it sat on their face and wiggled. One even called me and tried to sell me a flat that was already under contract with another buyer. Buyer beware indeed...The market is so crazy that they can afford to be lazy, shady and rude.

On the other hand, winter here's like summer at home :biglaugh:

Guest newnico

Well I'd never have thought of that as an answer..good thing you were suspicious. Which are the worst estate agents so far??

Guest mccarudd2

...for obvious reasons. For your own sake, assume they're all bad-most of the time you'll be right. The main thing is that both the for sale and rental markets are so competitive they can pretty much act as they please.

If there are any Aussie estate agents reading this who are offended, GOOD. I'm talking about YOU. YOU are one of the reasons why there is an affordablity crisis in the housing market. Find something more socially productive to do with your lives.

Before we get an abundance of estate agents bombarding us with replys ,may i add that although some may let the buisness down ,we can't tar them all with tha same brush!I understand this is a personal point of view but anywere in the world you will get good and bad in all walks of life/buisness.Thankfully the agents i have had to deal with here and in the UK have been ok and pleasent.

Cal x

Guest mccarudd2

With respect, I think it's a little more complicated than that. Given that behaviour is governed by conditions, and given that the market is definitely a sellers one, I don't think it's a coincidence that I've come across a lot of bad behaviour. I've owned property in the past as well, and I've never met a bunch like this lot. True, if UK agents had the same luxuries, they'd behave exactly the same; it's human nature to enjoy being powerful. But that doesn't change the fact that the industry and its practitioners need to take a good look at themselves. I don't wish to be inordinately rude (inordinate being the operative word), but I stand by my earlier post.

I have to agree with Cal that we can't tar everyone with the same brush,

I can't fault the real estate agent we dealt with, it was the first time we'd bought a property in Aus and she was great, she explained everything and didn't let us get taken for a ride, she ensured we knew what to do at inspection and even went round checking the taps and sockets with us. I think all industries and practitioners need to ensure they look at their practise and not just real estate agents.

Ali

Guest mccarudd2

I think I should clarify the intention of my post. Of course, all industries have their charlatans. However, my point is to provide information that may be useful to people moving to the Melbourne area. As I understand it, the point of this forum is to share experiences. And my recent experience has encountered several instances of bad practice. My experience is also of a far more aggressive market than one would find in the northwest of the UK. Plus a perusal of the Australian press recently reveals several stories to the same effect. The world isn't the same all over; that's why so many of us want to come out here. Recent threads have also asked for the 'darker' side of the Australian experience. Hence the post.

Hiya ,not for one minute do i doubt the service you recieved,and of course this forum is for our points of view and discussions but what myself and Ali are trying to point out is the section you said ''assume they are all bad'' may offend some good reputatible agents and mislead some general public.It is good to read peoples points of view good and bad BUT it is then up to the reader to make a decision ,,,I havnt spoke with just one agent since i arrived here ive spoke and liased with many and you know after a few minutes if their genuine,thankfully most have been ,,we can't tar them all with same brush!

Cal x

Guest JohnP

By the NW of the UK, I take it you mean Ullapool? I wouldnt have thought it was so cut throat up there.

Guest newnico

Sorry I set this off by asking who were the worst. Just that I had such a dire experience in the UK two years ago I'm very twitchy about estate agents and their lies and incompetence. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, I'd just prefer to keep away from the cowboys.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mccarudd2

We've just got an honest difference of opinion. I stand by my words and my advice. Of course it's up to others how they want to approach things.

Archived