Southport..... unsure!?

marieh

Hi there everyone

Fingers crossed coming out in the new year just need to get this IELTS test out of the way (not looking foward to it!!) anyway, there are so many beutifal places to choose from i'm just stuck!

I'll be coming out on a 457 visa to work as a midwife to stay indefinitely, I really like the look of the GC Hospital, so I would rent in Southport hopefully, I realise it's very close to Surfers but from things i've seen/ read i've been put off a little.

I will be 23 and my best friend 22 (hes coming over on a working visa for a year). I just wondered if anyone had any opinions on southport, whats it like to rent there? Is Surfers really as 'tacky' and 'dangerous' as I keep reading?! Any suggestions of other places in GC area we may like? We are looing for somewhere we can settle, we hope to be close to a beach but this isn't absolutely necessary, we want somewhere lively where we can socialize meet new people - this doesn't haveto include alcohol but bars would be great.

I'm just gathering info really so any advice would be really great!

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Parts of Southport are fine, Surfers is tacky in my opinion, but for nightlife lots of people go there. As long as your sensible don't get into arguments when your pissed, or get so drunk you don't know what your doing you should be ok. I lived near a market town in Uk and police shipped up from Portsmouth do deal with drugs/drunks and violence on a Friday and Sataurday night. Plenty of areas that are good near beach.

Agree with that. I don't think there's anything wrong with Surfers Paradise, it's the main shopping street of SP of a night that can be a bit noisy or whatever of a night but nothing really tends to go down over there... not like in Fortitude Valley, that's quite (by far and a way) worse than Surfers.

To be honest, if you're prepared for a 10 minute drive (or there abouts) I'd thoroughly recommend looking at suburbs like Ashmore and its surrounding area (not Molendinar though). Plenty of nice places for rent/purchase around there. :cute:

Good luck

Guest thelongwait

Southport is ok, lots of shops and restaurants and high rises, and plenty of cheap places to rent. but no beach.

if you want a beach, how about Main Beach. its just a bit north of Surfers, so still super near to southport. much more chilled. Surfers is pretty full of drunk people and tourists. i reckon it would be a bit annoying to live there year round!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My husband,myself,and our 29 yr old daughter live in southport,its really convenient,i love it.southport has spent millions on developing the park,and surrounding area,(still lots being done)we do have a sandy beach,with safe swimming,outdoor heated pool,and beautiful walks,ounce a month we have an outdoor cinema,there,s allways something going on here,and the hospital is near,although,they are biulding a new one outside southport

Archived