Some queries on Prospective Marriage Visa

Miss Swan

Hi everyone, a few quick questions on PMV (Subclass 300). My partner's an Aussie citizen and I'm a Singaporean.

1) Notice Of Intended Marriage (NOIM)

On the form, it requires the applicant's, partner's and marriage celebrant's signature. However my partner and I are going through a long distance relationship and I definitely won't be in OZ when he gets the form filled out. How does this work? Does he sign the form together with the marriage celebrant, then Fedex the form over to me?

2) After getting PMV and getting married, I'll need to apply for the Spouse visa. Do I need to re-submit all the documents + evidences provided in PMV, or do I just top up with the marriage cert and marriage photos?

3) Will the Spouse visa be processed much more quickly since I'd be already under PMV? Or will it take the same amount of time as if I had applied for Spouse in the first place? This is a big consideration because if both take equal amounts of time to be approved, then it's a very long process (4-6 mths + 4-6 mths) and I'd be better off going in for the Spouse visa.

My first post and a barrage of questions! Thanks for reading this with patience and I really hope to get some helpful replies/tips/advice here.

Cheers,

Miss Swan

Guest Guardian Angel

Prospective Marriage Visa (Subclass 300)

Hey Miss Swan

Have a look at the link that I posted, most of the info will be on there for you.

Do you know anyone a friend or relative, just asking because there are heaps of marriages that happen from out your way, we are just so close now its nothing unusual anymore so they maybe able to give you some advice.

Good luck though, all the best

Hey Guardian Angel,

Thanks for your link. I've actually looked through all the information for PMV. None of the information addresses Qns 2 and 3. But I've just consulted a migration agent and got my answers. I'm posting my answers here so that it helps those who're looking for similar info :)

Apparently the PMV applicant DOES have to re-submit all documents + evidences for Spouse visa.

The Spouse visa will take the usual time to process. Being under PMV does not give the applicant any extra advantage. So in my opinion, I'm better off going for the Spouse visa straight up! Applying for PMV and then Spouse is simply double work and double waiting time.

Cheers.

The Spouse visa will take the usual time to process. Being under PMV does not give the applicant any extra advantage. So in my opinion, I'm better off going for the Spouse visa straight up! Applying for PMV and then Spouse is simply double work and double waiting time.

Cheers.

Careful! The spouse visa requires you to have been living together in a DeFacto relationship for the past 12 months on the day you apply. If you are in a long distance relationship, how are you going to meet this requirement? The PMV allows you to come over to Australia, and once married, this would waive the 12 month requirement for the spouse visa.

Hi RockDr,

The Spouse visa does not have the 12 mth live-in requirement. That I'm 101% certain about. 12 mths rule applies only for De Facto. As long as you're married and have a good bit of evidence to show that the relationship is a genuine one, you're good to go. It gets a bit trickier for couples who've been together 6 months or so and then decide to get married and apply for Spouse visa. My fiance and I have been together for 2.5 years so that's a decent amount of time.

Cheers!

Sorry I misunderstood, from your post it sounded like you were going to be appying for the spouse visa (DeFacto) before getting married. So you would just come out on a tourist visa for your wedding?

Incidentally, there isn't a distinction between "Spouse" and "Partner" visa. In Australia, a spouse can be DeFacto (un-married) or DeJure (married). You have to fill out different sections of the forms, but you get the same visa. A Spouse visa does have a 12month requirement, but this is usually waived if you are married (provided as you say, that you provide evidence that the relationship is genuine).

Archived