Failed Lepto test !

Guest Granada

Guest Granada

Just hoping for some reassurance here :eek:

One of our 2 dogs has failed her lepto blood test. I have found some old threads on this but nothing recent.

She has to be retested on Tuesday and then its a week wait for the result .... leaving us just 7 days before they are due to fly.

I have spoken to the vet who says she tested positive at 1:100 and negative at 1:800 and the new test has to be the same or lower than the first for her to pass!

I am a bit confused as I asked what the level was and the vet said it is between 1:100 and 1:800, those are the only figures they are given ... so how do they know if its gone up or down ! She last had a lepto injection 11 months ago.

I spoke to the pet shipper who said it was 1:400, how he knows that I have no idea!

Any advice or shared stories would be really appreicated ... its going to be a long 11 days :confused:

Jen x

The reason is that when your dog has his/her blood tests the vaccination may give a false positive for Lepto. If this happens you will have to wait and retest. If the levels have not changed, your dog will be allowed to travel. Which is why your shipping company / vets will advise having the booster free of lepto, simply because it can take a while for the vaccine to vanish from the bloods, so if you have flights booked etc, they say no to lepto, which should be fine if in previous years you have kept all boosters up to date!

Pet Travel - Dog Transportation, Shipping Pets, Pet Transport | Pet Relocation

http://www.petrelocation.com/pdf/PET%20TRAVEL%20-%20AUSTRALIA%20IMPORT%20RULES%20AND%20REQUIREMENTS.pdf

these links may help with your question in more detail!

The reason is that when your dog has his/her blood tests the vaccination may give a false positive for Lepto. If this happens you will have to wait and retest. If the levels have not changed, your dog will be allowed to travel. Which is why your shipping company / vets will advise having the booster free of lepto, simply because it can take a while for the vaccine to vanish from the bloods, so if you have flights booked etc, they say no to lepto, which should be fine if in previous years you have kept all boosters up to date!

Pet Travel - Dog Transportation, Shipping Pets, Pet Transport | Pet Relocation

http://www.petrelocation.com/pdf/PET%20TRAVEL%20-%20AUSTRALIA%20IMPORT%20RULES%20AND%20REQUIREMENTS.pdf

these links may help with your question in more detail!

That was what I was going to say.

Hope it all works out ok for you.

Guest Granada

Thank you both.

We did leave out the Lepro on the latest boosters a couple of months ago.

However we had them done a little early so they are probably only due around now. The vet has said that although the last Lepro injection was a year ago, some dogs have stronger immune systems so it could still be showing in her blood ... fingers crossed thats all it is.

She is such a livley little thing, I cant honestly believe there is anything wrong but with less than 3 weeks to go its a worry :wideeyed:

Jen x

Thank you both.

We did leave out the Lepro on the latest boosters a couple of months ago.

However we had them done a little early so they are probably only due around now. The vet has said that although the last Lepro injection was a year ago, some dogs have stronger immune systems so it could still be showing in her blood ... fingers crossed thats all it is.

She is such a livley little thing, I cant honestly believe there is anything wrong but with less than 3 weeks to go its a worry :wideeyed:

Jen x

Your welcome!

Fingers crossed Jen, all will be well, Try not to worry too much, and keep us posted how she gets on :hug: x

Guest Joanna1

Hi there

I also have a question on the lepto tests. if your dog does fail this test then has to have bloods re-done as long as they pass the second time round, does it affect when they can fly. our dog is pre booked to fly 25 oct with bloods to be done 27 sept so ive tried working out the dates & if he fails test 1 but passes test 2 the second result is due literally 3 days before hed be flying. do you think i will have to put back his flight.

Hi there

I also have a question on the lepto tests. if your dog does fail this test then has to have bloods re-done as long as they pass the second time round, does it affect when they can fly. our dog is pre booked to fly 25 oct with bloods to be done 27 sept so ive tried working out the dates & if he fails test 1 but passes test 2 the second result is due literally 3 days before hed be flying. do you think i will have to put back his flight.

if the dog records a 1st result of more than 1:100 but less than 1:800 they must be re-tested 14 days after 1st test & this 2nd test must also show a result of less than 1:800. However, if dog has a result of more than 1:800 they cannot be exported.

If you were to have to have 2nd bloods, Fingers crossed you don't! You may well have to change flights, but it is worth checking with the company you are using, as the results of 2nd test may well be ok to send to them direct or by fax, maybe worth calling them to explain your concerns, so they can put your mind at ease!

Dawn :wubclub:

Hi there

This happened to us, our dog passed his first test but had to have the 2nd test and he failed it, I was in such a state as he was to fly out 5 days later. The export company instructed us to get to the vet's and get another test done ASAP which we did the same day and sent it priority mail, fortunately this was ok and the 2nd test was ignored!!! but if he had failed he would have to have stayed with friends until his bloods were ok.

Good luck

Guest Granada

Well she had her 2nd blood test yesterday so no we can just wait!

Vet says it might not be a week this time as there is only 1 test this time, hopefully we will know before weekend. :unsure:

Guest markone
This happened to us, our dog passed his first test but had to have the 2nd test and he failed it, I was in such a state as he was to fly out 5 days later. The export company instructed us to get to the vet's and get another test done ASAP which we did the same day and sent it priority mail, fortunately this was ok and the 2nd test was ignored!!! but if he had failed he would have to have stayed with friends until his bloods were ok.

Good luck

Hi There,

Our dog was tested two weeks ago, but our blood samples have been lost...so we have had another lot done.......this leaves us 15 days untill she is due to fly out !!??

Can I ask why did your dog have to be retested if it had already passed the frst test ?

Am I missing something ?

Regards,

Mark:confused:

Hi There,

Our dog was tested two weeks ago, but our blood samples have been lost...so we have had another lot done.......this leaves us 15 days untill she is due to fly out !!??

Can I ask why did your dog have to be retested if it had already passed the frst test ?

Am I missing something ?

Regards,

Mark:confused:

Hi

I believe if I remember right is that he was over the ideal but still within the set limit meaning he had to have a 2nd test this is the one he failed, and he was due to fly out the following week. Just check with you animal export company as this was a few years ago now.

Good Luck

Well she had her 2nd blood test yesterday so no we can just wait!

Vet says it might not be a week this time as there is only 1 test this time, hopefully we will know before weekend. :unsure:

Fingers crossed Jen, all will be fine! Thinking of you and please let us know x

Guest Granada

Thanks Dawny

All is well ... results came back at the same level so she can go ... was a bit stressful there.

Now just got to wait for Monday to see if the BAA strike will affect the dogs flights on the 24th or ours on the 27th ..... its neverending :wacko:

Jen x

Fingers crossed Jen, all will be fine! Thinking of you and please let us know x

Thanks Dawny

All is well ... results came back at the same level so she can go ... was a bit stressful there.

Now just got to wait for Monday to see if the BAA strike will affect the dogs flights on the 24th or ours on the 27th ..... its neverending :wacko:

Jen x

Jen, thats great news on the bloods!

Not so good on the flights, Have my fingers crossed for you that it will all go to plan1

All the very best.

Dawn x

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy for you. I did not post sooner as my news is not to good and I didn't want to give you more worries.

We rescued our baby from Greece and knew she has a tick-borne illness at that time. She fully recovered and is a bundle of healthy energy, and a beautiful and amazing dog.

Sadly though she still has Erlichia antibodies (I am told they are not the disease, but like after the flu they stay in the system to protect against further infection) and we are not allowed to bring her.

My husband and I have looked into every option and we brought her to Italy, we have been here for 8 weeks now having even more treatment and testing. If she fails this time it really is the end of the road.

Thankfully we had her tested early to make sure everything was okay. Doing that has given us a chance at least.

Love to all of us facing such a dreadful and heartbreaking situation.

O

Thanks Dawny

Jen x

I am so happy for you. I did not post sooner as my news is not to good and I didn't want to give you more worries.

We rescued our baby from Greece and knew she has a tick-borne illness at that time. She fully recovered and is a bundle of healthy energy, and a beautiful and amazing dog.

Sadly though she still has Erlichia antibodies (I am told they are not the disease, but like after the flu they stay in the system to protect against further infection) and we are not allowed to bring her.

My husband and I have looked into every option and we brought her to Italy, we have been here for 8 weeks now having even more treatment and testing. If she fails this time it really is the end of the road.

Thankfully we had her tested early to make sure everything was okay. Doing that has given us a chance at least.

Love to all of us facing such a dreadful and heartbreaking situation.

O

Oh, that really is heartbreaking. I am so sorry.

I hope that either the treatment works and the new teats are clear, or that you can find a lovely new home for her that you are happy with also.

What a terrible shame.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I really hope that happens. She will stay with my eldest daughter in the UK if she cannot come, but that ties Allison to the UK and is far from ideal.

Apart from that it will break our hearts to leave her, especially since she loves the grandchildren, and coming from Greece, she also loves the heat.

We just have to hope and pray.

Buddy is gorgeous by the way. Oh, and my profile picture is our baby, Oia.

She sends Buddy a huge tail wag.

Sharon

Oh, that really is heartbreaking. I am so sorry.

I hope that either the treatment works and the new teats are clear, or that you can find a lovely new home for her that you are happy with also.

What a terrible shame.

This is our baby.

Thanks BuddysMum, for the support. I will let you know how it goes.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts. I really hope that happens. She will stay with my eldest daughter in the UK if she cannot come, but that ties Allison to the UK and is far from ideal.

Apart from that it will break our hearts to leave her, especially since she loves the grandchildren, and coming from Greece, she also loves the heat.

We just have to hope and pray.

Buddy is gorgeous by the way. Oh, and my profile picture is our baby, Oia.

She sends Buddy a huge tail wag.

Sharon

Guest adsmith
Just hoping for some reassurance here :eek:

One of our 2 dogs has failed her lepto blood test. I have found some old threads on this but nothing recent.

She has to be retested on Tuesday and then its a week wait for the result .... leaving us just 7 days before they are due to fly.

I have spoken to the vet who says she tested positive at 1:100 and negative at 1:800 and the new test has to be the same or lower than the first for her to pass!

I am a bit confused as I asked what the level was and the vet said it is between 1:100 and 1:800, those are the only figures they are given ... so how do they know if its gone up or down ! She last had a lepto injection 11 months ago.

I spoke to the pet shipper who said it was 1:400, how he knows that I have no idea!

Any advice or shared stories would be really appreicated ... its going to be a long 11 days :confused:

Jen x

Hi Jen

Its almost spooky. We have EXACTLY the same situation as you (I hope we have the same outcome) 2 dogs, 18 days before we go 1 failed lepto test. The info I got from my vet was that she had a raised level of antibodies - which means to me that she doesnt have the disease but shes come into contact with it and her immune system has kicked in. We have another test next Tuesday and then a few days anxious wait before we find the results.

I dont know what we'll do if we cant take her, it will really take the shine off the whole move - it'd be like leaving one of the kids behind.... in fact id rather leave one of the kids behind :laugh:

Fellow PIO'ers please keep your collective fingers crossed for my little Lilly. Ill let you all know how we get on

ad

Really hoping and praying all goes well for you. If it gives you a second place to go with this, mentally at least, when we took Oia to the vet in Italy she told me that antibodies from infection or contact can take months and in some case years to go. This is for Erlichia, which is much worse for that than Lepto from what I understand. So, we have now accepted that she may have to stay with my daughter for even up to a couple of years before her titre drops sufficiently (and we are ignoring her last words "if at all").

I know if your dog had a lepto vaccination within the past 12 months that will potentially raise the levels of antibodies (as it is designed to do) but they do drop after the 12 months. Hopefully that is the case. I also think (fairly sure about this) I heard that if the lepto results are boarderline, that retest in a few weeks that shows dropping levels is also acceptable, if vaccination was deemed to be the cause.

I found a very helpful pet shipper in Australia who was much more familiar with the rules than most here. It was Dogtainers and the email address I have is Greg@dogtainersqld.com.au

Meanwhile, Oia had another test yesterday- so much cheaper to get all this done in Europe - they are doing both the PCR (to see if she actually has Erlichia) and the test to show her titre level for 90 euros. It was £250 for just the titre tests in the UK including consultation.

We should have answers by the end of next week. So fingers, toes and everything else crossed for us both. :arghh:

Hi Jen

Its almost spooky. We have EXACTLY the same situation as you (I hope we have the same outcome) 2 dogs, 18 days before we go 1 failed lepto test. The info I got from my vet was that she had a raised level of antibodies - which means to me that she doesnt have the disease but shes come into contact with it and her immune system has kicked in. We have another test next Tuesday and then a few days anxious wait before we find the results.

I dont know what we'll do if we cant take her, it will really take the shine off the whole move - it'd be like leaving one of the kids behind.... in fact id rather leave one of the kids behind :laugh:

Fellow PIO'ers please keep your collective fingers crossed for my little Lilly. Ill let you all know how we get on

ad

Guest adsmith

Thanks Sharon, the vet said her levels have to stay the same or get lower. We are now doing things like pouring disinfectant all over the garden and making sure she doesnt sniff other dogs pee. Probably daft things to do but we just feel helpless

Its good to hear that you have someone trusted that you could leave Oia with until she stops showing

ad

I know it is hard to believe, but I am sure you have nothing to worry about. If it just has to stay the same it should be fine. Especially if your dog is fit and healthy.

The one thing we were told was to not allow our dog to drink out of streams and to protect her drinking water from any risk of rats using it. I know none of us likes to realise how close rats are to us, but sadly they are.

On a lighter note, there is very little risk in Australia, first there is no Lepto and second, if there are any rats, the snakes will get them :jiggy:

Good luck

Sharon

Thanks Sharon, the vet said her levels have to stay the same or get lower. We are now doing things like pouring disinfectant all over the garden and making sure she doesnt sniff other dogs pee. Probably daft things to do but we just feel helpless

Its good to hear that you have someone trusted that you could leave Oia with until she stops showing

ad

Hi, we emigrated nearly 5 years ago, our dog failed his lepto test and they gave him tablets and said they'd retest him in a week. Unfortunately, we had our flights booked, house had gone, jobs finished so had to go. We left our dog at the kennels who were sending him out if and when he passed tests. My sister-in-law was to keep him and keep trying if he failed, I just left my bank account open and told kennels/vet to just do whatever to get him over (he was 11 years old and our baby). Thankfully we had a voicemail when we reached Singapore to say he's passed and was flying out the next day. He was absolutely fine and came out to join us, good luck I hope it all goes well for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest adsmith

Good news all!!!

Lilly passed her Lepto! She got exactly the same reading of antibodies 2 weeks later so thats just her natural level.

We are all elated. thanks everyone for thoughts, prayers and crossed fingers.

ad

Lilly is the black one

Archived