And so it begins.....

Gethsemene

My firm (big multinational franchise) approached me with an option to move to Australia to open and run a franchise for them. Now I have never been to Oz, but love my rugby, love my cricket and really love my beer so thought as there is little chance of a UK franchise would look into it.

Google brought me here and hopefully here will bring me closer to there :). Will get sent a list of 100 odd location possibilities soon and they are going to start looking into visas.

First (of I am sure many) questions is if they are sorting visa and employment what is he first thing I should do??

Many thanks

Ben

Guest guest33730
My firm (big multinational franchise) approached me with an option to move to Australia to open and run a franchise for them. Now I have never been to Oz, but love my rugby, love my cricket and really love my beer so thought as there is little chance of a UK franchise would look into it.

Google brought me here and hopefully here will bring me closer to there :). Will get sent a list of 100 odd location possibilities soon and they are going to start looking into visas.

First (of I am sure many) questions is if they are sorting visa and employment what is he first thing I should do??

Many thanks

Ben

Gethsemene,

welcome to pio, you will find this a great resource as you start your journey. I was surprised you were being sent a list of only 100 'odd' locations - there a loads more odd locations here than that!!

Daniel

Yeah I'll grant you that, but the company has an idea of how many franchises they want and where they want them already and these are the remaining ones. To be honest for me odd is good, as a westcountry boy if it ain't quirky it ain't home, tried big city living and found the lack of casual friendliness a touch disconcerting.

Ben

Many thanks

Ben

Hello Ben,

Firstly welcome to the forum - it sounds like you are at the beginning of an exciting journey!

From the details you mention in your post you may have a number of different visa's available to you.

I would suggest a good place to start would be to have a Migration Agent assess your different options. Feel free to drop me a line if you would like me to do this.

Regards

Hi Ben

Welcome to PIO. Definitely a good forum to find. There's no such thing as a stupid question here (plenty of stupid answers!) but most folk will do their best to help / share experiences.

I would suggest a recce trip / busman's holiday once you have an idea of possible locations before committing yourself. You'll find plenty of people on here who wished they'd never come or are desperate to go back so make an educated decision especially if things aren't bad where you are.

Personally, I'd say go for it,(been in Perth for 4 months) but eveyone' different.

Will be heading out to Oz for a couple of weeks before committing as have to complete skills assessment anyway, sounds like a good plan to do a proper recee as opposed to simply having a holiday ;). One thing I was wondering (should I now take this to a different forum?) is I will be looking to move to somewhere outside of a big city as it suits both the buisness model and my preferred lifestyle, how will an 'outsider' be treated out in the sticks, consider myself a social person (sports, am-dram and the like)?

Ben

Archived