Perception, bias and the facts.

Guest chris955

Really? oh that's great- we are sure we are making the right decision but cannot believe the news we have been hearing over he last few weeks...makes us want to get back even more to be honest.:smile:

I am sure you will slot back in - however we are finding it harder than we thought - not whether we have made the right choice as we have that reinforced everyday through different interactions - but I guess a sense of disappointment that the adventure is over so to speak - also seeing our teenage daughter start again at school when she was so settled in oz is really hard.

Dont worry - I have read your posts and think you know what you are doing - you just need to deal with the transition. Hubby and I think it will take 6 months to a year to start to come completely to terms with the whole experience but that's as much about our family set up etc as anything else (oldest son still there - missing him and dog enormously).

PM me if you want to chat and keep in touch - I definitely feel like I need support right now from people who are going through or have been through the same thing. :)

not sure what I am getting into here - but we all know we are talking about perception and context. Our own individual perception is based on our life context - where we have come from, how we think etc.

That's why despite reading other people's experiences we have to try if for ourselves.

I have just left what could be described as an idyllic lifestyle, beautiful home good friends, great income in Australia. To return to good friends, nice home, employment and educational opportunities in UK.

Which is better - depends on what is important to you. Some aspects of life in Oz were better - however many more for me and mine are better here. Even within my family we disagree about some things - I am enjoying friendships and friendliness of UK people - good conversation etc. My husband couldn't care less. My daughter is enjoying the kids she is meeting at school but hates the run down buildings and litter etc. My son is having great time ( still in oz) doing some amazing research at uni - but is desperate for a good pint, witty intelligent humour good laugh and amazing gigs and festivals.

As for me I look at my Mum and my MIL and see the sheer joy on their faces to having us back and I am filled with love for them and the real Joy of family ( even when they moan and fuss they are old and wont be with us for long).

England is beautiful so is Australia - do what you have to do and enjoy the journey.

Great post, mrsindecision - and you've hit the nail exactly on the head. This is why some people go to Oz and stay and some people go to Oz then return and some people never leave the UK....your decisions are very personal and based on your own personal POV and experience. That's fine and exactly how it should be. It's just the people that insist that, because they did or didn't like it, then no one can that annoy me (whether it be "the UK is finished, horrible, awful, people who move back are stupid" or "Aus has no culture, people only come for the weather so if you like it you're stupid") - both of those first bits (Uk is finished/Aus is just nice weather) may be the very real and true perception/experience of that person in their situation but it isn't true for everyone everywhere. Amazing how many people forget that though. :cute:

Best of luck wit your settlig down back in the UK - hope it continues well. :)

Yes but in the sense that it is obviously a fact that someone has those opinions,for instance,the view expressed recently that people moving to Australia will struggle to make friends,now it's obviously a fact that the person who posted that comment feels that way because that is what they have experienced,they wouldn't have any reason to make it up,but it's equally not a "fact" in the true sense of the word because it isn't necessarily true for EVERYONE who moves here,it will be true for some,maybe many,but not everyone,and the same can be said for just about every other issue,there are facts and there are opinions,facts are things like "it isn't sunny in Australia EVERY day",Australia is a long way from the UK etc,opinions are just that,opinions,they are not invalid as a means of discussing what it is like to move here but people need to be able to distinguish between the two,of course there is some factual base to opinions but only in so far that people who post their opinions obviously really believe what they are writing and are not just typing words for the fun of it.

Nigel, you need to use more full stops here.

That's a fact:wink:

Guest proud2beaussie
Nigel, you need to use more full stops here.

That's a fact:wink:

Really?Well here's another fact.

I couldn't care less.:biggrin::biggrin:

Guest chris955

Well to use Nigels words, I couldn't care less. :wink:

Well, there ya go again Chris.............forming an opinion based on what, pray tell? If you carry on like this, I may go back to calling you Boa :tongue:

kev

Guest chris955

Thank you, it is nice to see that some saw what I ACTUALLY wrote and not what they assumed I wrote. :wink:

I think Chris is refering to posters who aren't as tolerant of other peoples opinions-(although I was of the opinion there was a bit of a love fest going on from both sides now..?):laugh:

Guest guest30038
Thank you, it is nice to see that some saw what I ACTUALLY wrote and not what they assumed I wrote. :wink:

No assumption Chris........this is what you wrote, "My personal opinion after reading many posts is that those in the 'I love it here' camp seem to want to see only the bad side of the UK and seem unable or unwilling to see the wood for the trees."

I pointed out that you have formed an opinion, when it is clear to see that many in the "I love it here" camp do not fit with your opinion and see the good and the bad in both countries as their posts often illustrate.

You said, "those" which implies all, whereas "some" may have been a better choice of word, unless of course it is you who can't see the wood for the trees and refuse to recognise the fact that not all Oz lovers hate the UK and vice versa.

So, in line with the title of the thread, I ask, is your personal opinion as stated above, based on perception, bias or fact? Surely not fact, because, as I have pointed out, many such a Nigel, Jim and myself, often refer to the good and bad of both, and do not see only the bad side of the UK, so that leaves just perception and bias.

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

Whereas I "Love" it,so "Let" us call 'Game" on this thread,as has been pointed out before this subject has been discussed many times and there has never been,and probably never will be agreement about it.

Suffice it to say that as regards England V Australia threads everyone is entilted to their opinion,some

people love Australia others don't,some people have equal love for both countries and can see the positives and negatives of both places.

Game Over.

Archived