Rolling 457 to 856 or 175

jakc

Hi

Been in Melbourne on a 457 since March 2009 (with my partner).

This kind of rolls on from a previous post I made.

My HR department have told me that they will provide me with "non-financial support' for obtaining residency. I interpret that to mean they will do any paperwork signing. Was not too chuffed about that as I was verbally told that they would renew my visa when it ran out.

Anyhow... They have put me in touch with a company called Greenberg

They did my original 457, so they have me on file.

Anyone heard of them?

Here are my options (feel free to give me more options):

1. Apply for a 175 on my own.

Been looking into this already. Im on the new SOL, im still under 30, and get 120 points.

Cheapest option. Would have to leave country but could tie that in with a holiday anyhow. Would take the longest as well.

2. Apply for 175 through Greenberg.

= More money, but perhaps easier as they have already processed me before for a 457.

Can't really see the benefits outweighing the costs too much in this scenario.

2. Get Greenberg to roll me from 457 to 856

I guess I could also do this myself?

Greenberg said I have a few options:

2a. Do it now, but would have to do a skills assessment as well. This should not be a problem and they assist lodging this with VETASSES.

2b. Wait till March next year - No need for skills assessment (think they said that)

Problem is, going with a agency = $$$

They also mentioned that later on in the year, nearer September, things will likely change again with 457s and 856s so it might be wise to lodge something ASAP.

Whats peoples thoughts on my best option?

WE came over on a 457 which we applied for online, the DIAC website gives step by step instructions and it was very easy to upload everything.

We did our own ENS 856 as well. Again DIAC provide a checklist for this paper application. Took a couple of months to get the qualies validated, but apart from that very straight forward. Got some good advice from people on PIO on the way.

In all the 856 cost us about 4000 dollars, don't know what an agent would charge.

However with the 856, your employer needs to lodge first and then you need to lodge and pay within 6 months.

If you are alraedy here it is much easier to ring DIAC to see how things are going.

Archived