INDIAN students are shunning Australia

Guest indaussie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest proud2beaussie

The reason certain nationalities are over represented in some occupations like taxi driving is not because Australians won't do the jobs it's because Australia is a multi cultural country and Australian business owners employ people from other countries,there are Indian taxi drivers,Greek taxi drivers,Italian taxi drivers,Lebanese taxi drivers-and yes,there are also AUSTRALIAN taxi drivers,as

jigish points out there are bad apples in just about every barrel ,sure there probably are some lazy

Australians who would rather get the dole than do a job like taxi driving but there are also many Australians who have a cab of their own and they drive the hours they want to.

Australia is a richer society because of multi culturalism,it makes us one of the most multi cultural countries in the world,yes there are lazy Australians who won't do what they consider to be "lower class" jobs,but I strongly believe that they are in the minority,and I don't think making generalisations as you do is doing your cause any good.

The minister has made a bad error of judgement with his treatment of international students and that is damaging Australias reputation but please can we not start bad mouthing the entire country because of the attitudes of a few.

What are you saying? I am planning to leave this hellhole ASAP, once I get my application fees from capping. And you are saying I can't get job back home with Australian degree?!? I was dreaming about, applying in infosys, BTW. LOL. Are you saying this from your personal experience or this is just an assumption?

Depends on where you earned your degree, but don't expect to be given any preference just because you now have an Aussie degree ;-)

PS: Very wise choice!

Its too easy for the race card to become the dominant factor in discussions such as these. The problem lies with the general representation that students from a number of Asian countries have attended back street colleges to study degrees they have no intention of using in their careers just so they can get PR.

Personally if I had to grow up in a country where poverty was rife and the difference between the rich and poor was massive and it was the only way to make a better life for me and my family I am damned sure i would have done exactly the same thing. Driving a taxi in Melbourne has got to be better than the ship breaking yards of Bangladesh.

The problem which has arisen is that all students from these parts have now been unfairly tarred with the same brush. The problem isn't that the change in policy has arisen its that there have been no transitional plans of any substance put in place.

Take accountants for example. How difficult would it be that instead of completely removing the path to PR to change it so that to be granted they would have to go further and qualify with one of the professional institutes and also develop their language skills to a point where they can achieve the four 7's required for IELTS.

If PR is granted at the end of the course but with the above provision to be met within 5 (for example with checkpoints such as exam sittings etc) years or it is revoked then the current students have a path to take to achieve their aims. The students who have no intention of following their careers in line with their qualification will fall by the wayside.

While I fully understand the frustration of those students currently onshore there has to be a stop to the "visa factories". The major mistake they have made is cutting the rug from under the CURRENT students.

Good luck and I hope they start to see sense soon.

Si

I totally agree. If the correct rules are in place, all will go well. IMO the first action that should be to taken is to make an attempt to close down or confiscate their licenses of these institutes, after all they are 'CRICOS' approved courses.

Guest jigish
The reason certain nationalities are over represented in some occupations like taxi driving is not because Australians won't do the jobs it's because Australia is a multi cultural country and Australian business owners employ people from other countries,there are Indian taxi drivers,Greek taxi drivers,Italian taxi drivers,Lebanese taxi drivers-and yes,there are also AUSTRALIAN taxi drivers,as

jigish points out there are bad apples in just about every barrel ,sure there probably are some lazy

Australians who would rather get the dole than do a job like taxi driving but there are also many Australians who have a cab of their own and they drive the hours they want to.

Australia is a richer society because of multi culturalism,it makes us one of the most multi cultural countries in the world,yes there are lazy Australians who won't do what they consider to be "lower class" jobs,but I strongly believe that they are in the minority,and I don't think making generalisations as you do is doing your cause any good.

The minister has made a bad error of judgement with his treatment of international students and that is damaging Australias reputation but please can we not start bad mouthing the entire country because of the attitudes of a few.

I have to disagree, BTW. When I came here in Australia, for indians it was safer than it is now. I didn't even believe those racial attack reports, although some of them might be true. But, in last few weeks, I saw edition of Today Tonight on Seven and A current Affair on Nine, I think aussie media is generalizing Indian people as dirt poor and creating hysteria.

I did something else, I have this iPad and there's this twitter app, which enables me to search tweets with particular words, in defined distance. I created a query where I can see tweets where people mention india OR indian OR indians, with 25 miles radius. Here are few tweets:

- indian sat beside me, so me and mum changed seats immediately.

- sitting next to indian, in caboolture train, holding my blackberry tight, afraid of slumdog might steal something

Guest jigish
Depends on where you earned your degree, but don't expect to be given any preference just because you now have an Aussie degree ;-)

PS: Very wise choice!

They give preference on the basis of where you studied or what skills you have?

I have to disagree, BTW. When I came here in Australia, for indians it was safer than it is now. I didn't even believe those racial attack reports, although some of them might be true. But, in last few weeks, I saw edition of Today Tonight on Seven and A current Affair on Nine, I think aussie media is generalizing Indian people as dirt poor and creating hysteria.

I did something else, I have this iPad and there's this twitter app, which enables me to search tweets with particular words, in defined distance. I created a query where I can see tweets where people mention india OR indian OR indians, with 25 miles radius. Here are few tweets:

- indian sat beside me, so me and mum changed seats immediately.

- sitting next to indian, in caboolture train, holding my blackberry tight, afraid of slumdog might steal something

Can yer do the same thing for when poms are mentioned?:biglaugh:

Btw i got dozens of cabs when we went to S.A,NO aussie drivers,lebanese and asian tbh,does it matter where their from if they get you were yer want to go?

Guest jigish
Can yer do the same thing for when poms are mentioned?:biglaugh:

Btw i got dozens of cabs when we went to S.A,NO aussie drivers,lebanese and asian tbh,does it matter where their from if they get you were yer want to go?

I am afraid, people like you, seems to be in minority, ATM.

Guest proud2beaussie

Jigish,

If you can post a link to those tweets I would appreciate it because I would like to reply to them to express how disgusted I am with their racist attitudes.

They give preference on the basis of where you studied or what skills you have?

I assume you are a fresh grad, if not, obviously previous experience will count.

Guest jigish
I assume you are a fresh grad, if not, obviously previous experience will count.

Are you saying a fresh graduate with aussie degrees, has no chance of acquiring a decent job in india? :cry:

Are you saying a fresh graduate with aussie degrees, has no chance of acquiring a decent job in india? :cry:

No, you misunderstood me. You will easily find a job in IT....which is why I said you made a wise choice to return home.

Guest jigish
Jigish,

If you can post a link to those tweets I would appreciate it because I would like to reply to them to express how disgusted I am with their racist attitudes.

These tweets are only the icing on the cake. I can't even post other tweets here.

There's no need to confront them, as I had quite a heated discussion with them, but the replies that I got from them really disgusted me. Like 'I can't believe you can speak english', 'I don't talk to indian ppl', 'Miracle! even poor indians are using twitter', '*uck off, we're full', 'pls don't disturb me and keep driving ur taxi, stinky'

And then I got warning, for doing nothing at all - 'if u'll reply me again, I'll inform police and immigration dept' Result of that, I had to remove that query from app and my mind is still disgusted by that experience. I guess this is another side of technology and free speech. This added flame to the fuel and to my decision of leaving this country for good.

Then what happened, is what you expect from racists, they restricted their tweets and so you can no longer access their tweets. So there, I can't give you links to those tweets.

Guest jigish
No, you misunderstood me. You will easily find a job in IT....which is why I said you made a wise choice to return home.

Ohh okay, thanks...

BTW, if thats ur pic, are you single? :eek: :biglaugh:

Guest proud2beaussie

Jigish,

Thanks for replying,I can understand why you are upset with that sort of treatment,it really is disgusting

but believe me it is not the sort of attitude held by the majority of Australians,most aussies that I know would,like me,be appalled at such shocking attitudes but unfortunately Australia is no different to any other country in that there will always be a very small minority of ignorant,bad mannered people with racist views,it's a shame that this sort of experience has put you off Australia but to be honest with you I really don't think you will find any country in the world that doesn't have a racist

element,it's sad of course but I think it's the reality of the world we live in,I have travelled widely during my career in the travel industry and I've encountered racist attitudes almost everywhere,even in India itself but I take the view that the majority of people in the world are decent,caring folk who couldn't care less about the color of a persons skin or their nationality,sadly however there will always be some people who don't fit that description and equally sadly Australia is not immune to that.

I hope you change your mind and stay here,and please don't think that all Australians are as rude and bad mannered as those people who posted those tweets.

Regards

Nigel

Guest Guest31881
These tweets are only the icing on the cake. I can't even post other tweets here.

There's no need to confront them, as I had quite a heated discussion with them, but the replies that I got from them really disgusted me. Like 'I can't believe you can speak english', 'I don't talk to indian ppl', 'Miracle! even poor indians are using twitter', '*uck off, we're full', 'pls don't disturb me and keep driving ur taxi, stinky'

And then I got warning, for doing nothing at all - 'if u'll reply me again, I'll inform police and immigration dept' Result of that, I had to remove that query from app and my mind is still disgusted by that experience. I guess this is another side of technology and free speech. This added flame to the fuel and to my decision of leaving this country for good.

Then what happened, is what you expect from racists, they restricted their tweets and so you can no longer access their tweets. So there, I can't give you links to those tweets.

This just goes to prove that these racists are just cowards who hid behind an anonymous name on an internet forum, they are scared to let you challenge their views because they know that there is no substance to there racist remarks. Fortunately the vast majority of people in Australia are sane sensible people who will make you welcome. Unfortunately every country has its share of idiots; it looks like you have been unfortunate enough to meet some of these idiots. I am sorry you have come across this sort of attitude.

Guest jigish
Jigish,

Thanks for replying,I can understand why you are upset with that sort of treatment,it really is disgusting

but believe me it is not the sort of attitude held by the majority of Australians,most aussies that I know would,like me,be appalled at such shocking attitudes but unfortunately Australia is no different to any other country in that there will always be a very small minority of ignorant,bad mannered people with racist views,it's a shame that this sort of experience has put you off Australia but to be honest with you I really don't think you will find any country in the world that doesn't have a racist

element,it's sad of course but I think it's the reality of the world we live in,I have travelled widely during my career in the travel industry and I've encountered racist attitudes almost everywhere,even in India itself but I take the view that the majority of people in the world are decent,caring folk who couldn't care less about the color of a persons skin or their nationality,sadly however there will always be some people who don't fit that description and equally sadly Australia is not immune to that.

I hope you change your mind and stay here,and please don't think that all Australians are as rude and bad mannered as those people who posted those tweets.

Regards

Nigel

I know what you are saying, but its hard to live with a feeling, that says to you, it would have been better, if there was an operation or medication that makes you white. I thought I was liberal enough to travel seven seas, but now I have decided to better stay with my own lot and get back home ASAP.

And even if I'll choose another country to migrate to, I will choose some country where there's already huge indian diaspora, like US, where there's a probability that "an indian" can be in presidential race in future, like Bobby Jindal. So that when I fall, because of some racial matter, I have a safety net to fall into.

Guest Guest31881

Hi Jigish

What ever you do in your life, be proud of your heritage; be proud of your country and be proud of your life. When you lose that pride, the bigots win. Don’t let that happen.

Guest siamsusie
I know what you are saying, but its hard to live with a feeling, that says to you, it would have been better, if there was an operation or medication that makes you white. I thought I was liberal enough to travel seven seas, but now I have decided to better stay with my own lot and get back home ASAP.

And even if I'll choose another country to migrate to, I will choose some country where there's already huge indian diaspora, like US, where there's a probability that "an indian" can be in presidential race in future, like Bobby Jindal. So that when I fall, because of some racial matter, I have a safety net to fall into.

Jigish, I think most people black, brown, white or yellow confront racism at some stage in their lives.... even in your own country with the cast system that is an extreme form of racism imo. In places like Thailand me being "the farang" foreigner or in Japan the " Gaijin" (foreigner) that can be construed as a form of racism particularly when there is a two tier price system such as in Thailand... Xenophobia is a horrible sickness but it really is a fear of the unknown and as I explain to my Korean son who complains from time to time of the exact problems you are facing... try and let it go over your head, because the people that are worth knowing wont treat you any differently.

Best wishes Susie:wubclub:

Guest jigish
Hi Jigish

What ever you do in your life, be proud of your heritage; be proud of your country and be proud of your life. When you lose that pride, the bigots win. Don’t let that happen.

I know that and am still a proud Indian, always was. I was liberal, but now I am starting to feel that I've became a nationalist.

I am not comparing migrants from Different countries . My point is that indian migrating are hard working and they are needed in australia as they are ready to do any job that australians are not ready to do like taxi driving

This commonly held bogus assumption that "Indians do the job that Aussies never do" is utter rubbish.

By Australian I am guessing you are referring to anglo-saxons Australians. Many of them work as garbage collector, plumbing (yes, when your toilet breaks down the one that most likely come and fix will be Aussie), car mechanics, electricians. Many Caucasian British migrants (if you follow this site more often) come here on these roles which in India is "poor people's job".

Taxi driving is not a odd looked down upon job in Australia that people avoid. Reason why many Indians chose to do it is because they can:

1) Drive

2) Work hours to suit them day or late nights

3) Good money

Its not because Aussies cant drive or they have issues with taxi driving career. Its not just India, Lot of cabbies in New York are from subcontinent.

FYI, Indians started to migrate here in bulk in last 20 years or so, who do you think did these tradie jobs before that?

Also by constantly bringing up this myth, you are emphasizing that this country looks down on people "doing jobs Aussies wouldn't do".

Do you think its any different in India? Can you imagine a IT pro or someone well established marrying a hairdresser or plumber in India? FYI, current PM Julia Gillard's partner was a hairdresser. Cant imagine an Indian politician having a partner/spouse doing one of the "jobs Aussies wouldn't do"? Answer to all of the above is NO.

Some people needs to look in the mirror before complaining about people from other backgrounds.

Guest jigish
Jigish, I think most people black, brown, white or yellow confront racism at some stage in their lives.... even in your own country with the cast system that is an extreme form of racism imo. In places like Thailand me being "the farang" foreigner or in Japan the " Gaijin" (foreigner) that can be construed as a form of racism particularly when there is a two tier price system such as in Thailand... Xenophobia is a horrible sickness but it really is a fear of the unknown and as I explain to my Korean son who complains from time to time of the exact problems you are facing... try and let it go over your head, because the people that are worth knowing wont treat you any differently.

Best wishes Susie:wubclub:

I lived here for four years, and during that time I learned the art of ignoring everything racist. But after the beginning of 2009, the kind of racism that I saw, really startled me.

I can actually ignore racism on internet, and like I mentioned in my earlier posts, Twitter. But its hard to ignore face to face racism. Like, when I went to JB HiFi last month, to buy iPad. The old guy, who was attending me, asked me can I even afford iPad? and that was with a smirk. Everything has a limit, you know.

I advise you to help your son whenever you can, because everybody face problems in their life, but people, like me and your son will have additional set of problems that we have to face. An Indian saying - Being a dog in wolf's pack will always be hard.

Archived