INDIAN students are shunning Australia

Guest indaussie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Latest news from Herald Sun .. here is the link

Indian students shun Australia | The Daily Telegraph

thats good guys Australia doesnt deserve hard working resident like you. austrlia need only lazzy resident who are burden on austrlian people like Assyllum seekers, and highly qualified people who dont want to work.

Excuse me? What makes you say asylum seekers are lazy? :arghh:

Guest indaussie

sorryif i hurt someone.

not everyone but lots of. i am in australia and i know lots off people who are highly qualified but dont have a good attitute towards work , they dont want to work because government (centerlink) providing them money for accomodation and food.

Sorry, just saw a news report on the horrific lives of people who are trying to escape war torn countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, Sri Lanka. It was an eye opener. They have my full heartfelt sympathies.

Guest proud2beaussie

My dentist was a refugee who arrived in Australia by boat back in the 80's,his father died on the voyage,

he was granted asylum here,he worked very hard to finish his education and obtained his dentistry qualification here,he started hiw own business and now employs people ,he is an excellent dentist and he is contributing to the Australian economy.

The issues surrounding the cap and cease bill and others regarding international students are totally seperate from asylum seekers,to link the issues together achieves absolutely nothing apart from

causing aggravation and needless distress.

Please,if you wish to discuss falling student enrolments and other consequences of the governments actions then by all means do so,but please do not bring the asylum seeker issue into it,if you wish to discuss that then start a seperate thread.

Guest TheStig

Monash University immigration expert Bob Birrell said yesterday the figures confirmed the Government's changes were working.

"There was a need for reform to decouple migration selection from overseas training in Australia," he said.

"This is the first cold data showing the new rules are starting to bite."

I just love the last sentence. The new rules are starting to bite alright; and its gonna bit so hard they not gonna know what hit them. Not only students from India, but from around the world as well. If there are any kids out there who wants to go overseas for further education, I'm sure they will be looking at Europe/US right now. I know I would.

Guest indaussie
I just love the last sentence. The new rules are starting to bite alright; and its gonna bit so hard they not gonna know what hit them. Not only students from India, but from around the world as well. If there are any kids out there who wants to go overseas for further education, I'm sure they will be looking at Europe/US right now. I know I would.

you are right, TheStig

i am moving to canada next year .

I thought that a lot of countries were tightening up there student visa/residency rules. There has certainly been a lot of changes in the UK on that front and studying in the US most certainly doesn't lead to easy residency. If this is the case and residency is one of the primary reasons that international students study overseas then where are they now going?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi TheStig

I agree with you completely. The Minister for Immigration has completely ignored (a) the loss in foreign income; and (b) the thousands of staff members who work for the colleges, universities etc who will be joining the dole queues down at Centrelink.

As for the brainy Aussie who seeks a bright future for him/herself, I'd be heading for Harvard if it were me.....

Cheers

Gill

I thought that a lot of countries were tightening up there student visa/residency rules. There has certainly been a lot of changes in the UK on that front and studying in the US most certainly doesn't lead to easy residency. If this is the case and residency is one of the primary reasons that international students study overseas then where are they now going?

US of A

Study in the USA - International Student USA Study Guide

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Gollywobbler
Latest news from Herald Sun .. here is the link

Indian students shun Australia | The Daily Telegraph

thats good guys Australia doesnt deserve hard working resident like you. austrlia need only lazzy resident who are burden on austrlian people like Assyllum seekers, and highly qualified people who dont want to work.

Hi Indaussie

I agree with you.

The Australian Government does not deserve that a single soul who does not possess an Aussie passport should head for Australia for any reason at all imho. I would FAR rather meet my mother and my sister for a holiday in Malaysia (where I was born and where we all lived until I was 20) than that I should traipse from London to Perth for the purpose of visiting them.

I am not prepared to give my tourist shekel to any country which treats overseas visitors as badly as the Australian Government has chosen to treat its foreign students, frankly.

Cheers

Gill

Guest TheStig

It not so much about the rules as like you said many countries are tightening up their belts. Its more about the restrospectiveness and the uncertainty that results from the implementation of these rules. I haven't seen any country adapt a restrospective approach to their immigration program and treating potential immigrants the way Australia has. I.E Canada has a long wait for its Visa Processing but they make it this crystal clear BEFORE the applictants are applying so they are well aware of the sutiations they are putting themselves in. That of course would be the decent and humane thing to do. Can't really say the same about the Australian Govt.

Guest Gollywobbler
It not so much about the rules as like you said many countries are tightening up their belts. Its more about the restrospectiveness and the uncertainty that results from the implementation of these rules. I haven't seen any country adapt a restrospective approach to their immigration program and treating potential immigrants the way Australia has. I.E Canada has a long wait for its Visa Processing but they make it this crystal clear BEFORE the applictants are applying so they are well aware of the sutiations they are putting themselves in. That of course would be the decent and humane thing to do. Can't really say the same about the Australian Govt.

Hi TheStig

Again, I agree with you completely.

The Aussies are trying to slam the stable door after the horse has already bolted. They think that the solution is to shoot the firkin horse next, it appears.

As an exercise in short sighted, xenophobic stupidity, I reckon that this one takes the international biscuit, frankly.

Cheers

Gill

The reason why many Indian students study abroad is because of the difficulty in getting admission into good colleges / universities. Besides the many are from smaller towns without many facilities.

Studying should not be propogated as a way to easy residency. The UK & US never really emphasied on this as an easy route to PR but we still see a lot of Indians studying in their universities. However, Australia on the other hand has dangled the juicy carrot right under the noses of the students and therefore the diversion from places like US & UK. Having done that, they have absolutely no right to take that carrot away because this carrot cost them a lot of money. It is so wrong to back away now from the promises they have committed to after eating up into the finances of the students.

Guest Mongobear

I don't know very much about other country's immigration programs but for sure the option for a PR was a main reason for many, many students to head for OZ instead of choosing Europe, Canada or the U.S. for their studies.

The OZ-govt. now rules out this option for PR resp. brings a lot of uncertainty if this option will still be available at the end of the course. The PR option made OZ more attractive compared to its competitors but since this option is gone/vague students will choose their overseas study-location based on other criteria such as tuition-fees, living costs, xenophily and so on. It seems that OZ is going to lose here and, in my opinion, the OZ-govt. resp. DIAC deserves this kick in the bum to come down to earth again.

Frankly I think the Australian Department of Immigration needs a complete overhaul and a good hard shake up. It appears to be run by a bunch of thugs.

I'm Australian and I had no idea how bad it was until my husband and I went through the process of applying for a spouse visa, health waiver refusal (for something as mild as IBD), visa refusal and now MRT wait.

As little information is given out as possible, there is a fee for every little thing and, from the outside, it seems like many decisions are just plain arbitrary. After spending some time reading these forums, the lack of information and transparency appears to be endemic, no matter which visa is being applied for.

Having gone through the US immigration process, I was shocked how bad the Australian process was in comparison. The US process was bureaucratic but at least all the information was clear and the decisions clearly spelled out and a status available at every stage.

I think most Australians would have no idea how pathetic our system is - I'm absolutely ashamed of it.

Frankly I think the Australian Department of Immigration needs a complete overhaul and a good hard shake up. It appears to be run by a bunch of thugs.

I'm Australian and I had no idea how bad it was until my husband and I went through the process of applying for a spouse visa, health waiver refusal (for something as mild as IBD), visa refusal and now MRT wait.

As little information is given out as possible, there is a fee for every little thing and, from the outside, it seems like many decisions are just plain arbitrary. After spending some time reading these forums, the lack of information and transparency appears to be endemic, no matter which visa is being applied for.

Having gone through the US immigration process, I was shocked how bad the Australian process was in comparison. The US process was bureaucratic but at least all the information was clear and the decisions clearly spelled out and a status available at every stage.

I think most Australians would have no idea how pathetic our system is - I'm absolutely ashamed of it.

I am so sorry... I always thought that there were medical concessions for Spouse Visas, apparently not ! I pray that all goes well for you. I also pray that Australia get a good Government this election to represent and govern their country in the right way.

As for the brainy Aussie who seeks a bright future for him/herself, I'd be heading for Harvard if it were me.....

Exactly what my daughter is planning!!

sorryif i hurt someone.

not everyone but lots of. i am in australia and i know lots off people who are highly qualified but dont have a good attitute towards work , they dont want to work because government (centerlink) providing them money for accomodation and food.

You must knock around with some funny people mate. I don't know of one highly qualified, lazy person who doesn't want to work. Come to think of it I don't know anyone who is not working, or claiming benefit.

I guess that is one of the reasons the government changed the rules on permanent visas, they didn't want any more bludgers with a hairdressing or cooking qualifications with english as a second language.

Where are all the Indian students going now that Australia isn't such an easy target? UK would be right up there on the list I suppose.

I am so sorry... I always thought that there were medical concessions for Spouse Visas, apparently not ! I pray that all goes well for you. I also pray that Australia get a good Government this election to represent and govern their country in the right way.

Ozzieland, I will definitely be voting for whichever party is willing to give DIAC the biggest shake-up! (At this stage it looks like the Greens.)

Guest Jane1991

A graduation debt even before you land a job. Its easy to rack up a debt of upto 50k USD while studying at the top LACS or Uni's.

NorthJersey.com: NEWSTRACKER: average student loan debt in N.J. is $20,169

You get to make a great network in uni's like cornell or UPenn but the network becomes useless when you move to ... lets say Dubai ?

IMHO I would rather graduate debt free from the uni in UK or Canada than be buried neck deep in a student loan for a bachelor.

Add to it the fact that US economy is in shambles and the fin. aid from uni's has become harder to come by.

They do practise need-blind admission policy though.

but the competition is cut throat and getting 2200+ SATS requires lot of dedication and building the right profile from at least sophomore year means you can kiss a decent social life goodbye ( that means no travelling either )

Believe me I know how hard the immigration process is having emigrated from the UK myself. The points system is daunting and it costs a fortune to apply. Paying out for the process guarantees nothing, you could fail at the last hurdle having already shelled out a lot of money. My Sister and family applied after they came out on Holiday. My Sisters husband is in the police, they spent a lot of money going for interviews, medicals and eventually got a letter to go to the London embassy for a presentation.

Thinking they had been accepted they were very excited only to be told that 50 applicants had been accepted and the other 50 that were there put into a "pool", They were one of the families in the pool and have never heard anything since. That was about 6 years ago. There were over 1000 applicants for the 50 or so jobs on offer so there would have been a lot of dissappointed people.

Unfortunately, that's life. Even when we emigrated 20 years ago there was a queue at the embassy for the forms to fill in for emigration. A good 70% of people knew there and then that they would be wasting their money even trying to apply as there was a little form to check out your points score first and they made it very clear that if you didn't make 90 points (or whatever the tally was) you would be wasting your money.

I sense an undertone of something racial suggested in this thread and would just like to point out that it's hard to get into Aus. from anywhere, just as it should be.

Archived