No freedom for pets in OZ

Guest TA01085

Guest TA01085

We used to have both a cat and dod when we lived in the UK. The cat had a usuall nomadic life and we enjoyed taking our dog to the countr for walks.

How shocked we were to find that cats have to be kept in indoors and to quote from a local council web site:

"Cat owners are required to prevent their cats from straying or causing a nuisance to neighbours and wildlife".

which basically means you have to keep them in doors all the time, no life for a cat.

Its even worse for dogs. forget about any walks in the country unless you are happy to leave your do at home as all national parks do not allow dogs even on a lead. For that matter there is just about nowhere you can let your do off a lead apart from council provided enclosures which are usually very small. We used to take ours to the Queen Elizabeth Country park when we were in the UK where he enjoyed a good run round but no such luck here.

To quote the national park website:

National parks and reserves are refuges for native animals. Dogs and other domestic pets (other than trained assistance animals such as guide dogs) must not be taken into national parks, state conservation areas, nature reserves, historic sites or Aboriginal areas, because:

Native animals see dogs as predators. The lasting scent left by dogs can easily scare small animals and birds away from their homes, often causing them to leave their young unprotected.

Dog faeces carry diseases which can be harmful to wildlife and people, and also add nutrients to the soil, increasing the spread of weeds.

What a crock of Sh*t.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TA01085
It could be worse - you could be in vietnam.

Fairly unhelpful comment for those perople genuinly interested in brining or owning a dog or cat to/in Oz

Guest siamsusie

Animal Lover here!

I was sick of bringing dog's faeces back home with me on the bottom of my shoes, yes it holds disease.

Thrilled to see one must hold a licence.

Have you considered a cat run?

I would be loath to see a cat attack my wild life, yes they cause insurmountable damage.

Personally I think the rules protect pets and inhabitants and its wonderful to see very active animal warders in this country.

Guest The Pom Queen

To be honest I have no idea where you are living but here in Victoria we have some wonderful National Parks you can go to with your dog. Just close to us we have a park that is hundreds of hectares just dedicated to dogs, we also have 2 National Parks where dogs are permitted both have on and off lead areas and 10 dog friendly off leash parks as well as the dog friendly beaches, these are all between 2 minutes from our home up to 20 minutes away.

I have attached a brochure for National Parks where you can even camp with your dogs in Victoria. However, looking through the list I see they have omitted quite a few National Parks that DO allow dogs.

In Victoria we do have cat curfews in most councils and to be honest after working in the veterinary field for a number of years both here and in the UK, I definitely agree with them, yes protecting the wildlife in one good reason but MY main reason is the welfare of the cat. Maybe if you had been the one putting to sleep stray and abandoned cats/kittens, the cats that end up with FIV, the feral cat population, the HBC (hit by car) etc etc then you may understand my reasoning. Cats who live indoors do have a longer life span and if your cat really needs to go out then cat proof your garden.

Cats are quite happy living all their lives inside. In fact the cat is more protected itself if its movements are restricted to its home.

I like our laws in Aus because even though I am an animal lover and have had up to three dogs and three cats at one time I love them but not everyone does.

Guest Guest31881

I would have thought that if a cat owner "loved" their pet they would not want it running around outside there property. The wildlife in Australia would present an obvious danger to the cat, and the cat presents a threat to the wild life. I have never understood cat owners who believe their pet has a right to go onto everyone's property.

There are plenty of places you can walk a dog, there are river walks and country walks where dog owners go all the time. I have lived on the coast and now in a rural environment and have seen plenty of dogs on leads being walked. Usually on a lead to stop it investigating the undergrowth, and risk being bitten by a snake or injured by some other wildlife. There are pet lovers and there are responsible pet owner who care for their animals

Our two cats are flying up to us today (!! we are so excited!) after spending their 30 days in prison at Eastern Creek. In London they used to run freely, and one was more than happy to stay in our garden.

The other one used to wander a couple of gardens along either side from our garden, and though we were happy for her to be "free", it was awful on the couple of occasions she'd bring back a baby bird.

We totally support the Aussie view of keeping cats indoors or in cat runs, for two reasons. 1 - it protects the beautiful wildlife and 2 - it protects our cats from snakes, spiders, cane toads and so on.

Guest MadChicken

I dont think its a croc of sh"! that some national parks dont allow dogs into the park because they are tring to conserve the area and keep it "as is" which means not allowing foreign animals,plants ect from entering due to risk of damaging such an important place which is more important than a dog getting exercised.

I feel bad that you havn`t easily found a place to walk your dogs but the places i have lived and visited have plenty of places for walking dogs, is there any beaches you can take your dog to? maybe theres a website or some local people / council in your area you could ask that may know of some places for dogs.

Id say oz is pretty good for walking dogs and much larger gardens than some of the pommy houses. I know its hard with Cats but they are not native and they do kill alot of native animals and reptiles like blue tounge lizards,So alot of ozzys arnt keen on cats.My neighbours have Cats and they dont keep them in the house my neighbour says she has bells on the cats collers and that helps stop them killing things.

Sorry to disagree with the nat park thing but i respect that the ozzys want to protect whats unique and important to the country, but i wish you best of luck and hopefully some local in your area may be able to help you out

Guest guest30038

What a crock of Sh*t.

ditto your comment: Fairly unhelpful comment for those perople genuinly interested in brining or owning a dog or cat to/in Oz :rolleyes:

Apart from the dangers to wildlife that cats represent, many suburban homes have sand pits for their kids to play in..............guess where cats just love to cr8p?

Owning a cat or dog doesn't give you a God given right to have it enter other folks' properties and put pregnant mothers' children at risk of toxoplasma.

kev

Guest guest30038
It could be worse - you could be in vietnam.

No, I'm here :biglaugh: Just about to take my dog for a walk on the freely available (to dog owners) Nudgee beach

kev

Guest proud2beaussie

Nice one Kev,you're in fine form,the break seems to have done you the world of good.

Cheers

nigel

Guest TA01085
To be honest I have no idea where you are living but here in Victoria we have some wonderful National Parks you can go to with your dog. Just close to us we have a park that is hundreds of hectares just dedicated to dogs, we also have 2 National Parks where dogs are permitted both have on and off lead areas and 10 dog friendly off leash parks as well as the dog friendly beaches, these are all between 2 minutes from our home up to 20 minutes away.

I have attached a brochure for National Parks where you can even camp with your dogs in Victoria. However, looking through the list I see they have omitted quite a few National Parks that DO allow dogs.

In Victoria we do have cat curfews in most councils and to be honest after working in the veterinary field for a number of years both here and in the UK, I definitely agree with them, yes protecting the wildlife in one good reason but MY main reason is the welfare of the cat. Maybe if you had been the one putting to sleep stray and abandoned cats/kittens, the cats that end up with FIV, the feral cat population, the HBC (hit by car) etc etc then you may understand my reasoning. Cats who live indoors do have a longer life span and if your cat really needs to go out then cat proof your garden.

your obviously not well informed here is a quote from the Victoria national park web site:

Rangers are often asked whether dogs may be taken into national parks and other reserves managed by Parks Victoria and the Department of Sustainability and Environment. The answer is generally 'no' - which understandably disappoints dog owners. It's 'no' even for quiet, well behaved dogs and also for cats and other domestic pets.

what you have to remember is that for someone contenplating moving to Oz with a dog where they have generally found few restirctions it is important to know what the restrictions are here as this will affect their so called perceived "lifestyle"

Guest TA01085
I dont think its a croc of sh"! that some national parks dont allow dogs into the park because they are tring to conserve the area and keep it "as is" which means not allowing foreign animals,plants ect from entering due to risk of damaging such an important place which is more important than a dog getting exercised.

I feel bad that you havn`t easily found a place to walk your dogs but the places i have lived and visited have plenty of places for walking dogs, is there any beaches you can take your dog to? maybe theres a website or some local people / council in your area you could ask that may know of some places for dogs.

Id say oz is pretty good for walking dogs and much larger gardens than some of the pommy houses. I know its hard with Cats but they are not native and they do kill alot of native animals and reptiles like blue tounge lizards,So alot of ozzys arnt keen on cats.My neighbours have Cats and they dont keep them in the house my neighbour says she has bells on the cats collers and that helps stop them killing things.

Sorry to disagree with the nat park thing but i respect that the ozzys want to protect whats unique and important to the country, but i wish you best of luck and hopefully some local in your area may be able to help you out

Not sure if you realised it but all but a very few beaches here are also dog no go areas.

I agree about keeping the cats indoors.... studies have proven that indoor cats live longer than outdoor cats. I have owned cats for 18 years and none of my cats have been outdoor cats.

Perhaps living in Canada, I grew accustomed to having indoor cats, as hardly anyone has outdoor cats.... their are some mean people out there, who don't like cats, and will do anything to keep them off their property.

As far as dogs go, in Perth we have some beaches for dogs, also at Whiteman Park they have a huge dog park, and just down the road from us we have a dog park in Ellenbrook. So all the animals are looked after.

I currently own 3 cats, and 2 dogs, all the cats I got from the RSPCA, and all are indoor cats. Infact the one cat if accidently left outside, will meow at the back door to be let in, he can't stand being outdoors, not only that, we live on an acre property, and have a lot of wildlife, and I for one would not like to see the cats kill the wildlife, or the wildlife kill them.

Cheers

Karen

Guest proud2beaussie

Yet another thread which is full of generalisations and inaccuracies and half truths,when will some people learn how to post their opinions and views as exactly those-their opinions and views derived from their experiences as distinct

from posting them as facts,which they aren't.

Here is another quote from the same website-which gives the FULL details,rather than selective quotes.

Where dogs can't go

jw_dog.jpgNational parks and similar reserves

Rangers are often asked whether dogs may be taken into national parks and other reserves managed by Parks Victoria and the Department of Sustainability and Environment. The answer is generally 'no' - which understandably disappoints dog owners. It's 'no' even for quiet, well behaved dogs and also for cats and other domestic pets.

Why?

• First and foremost, national parks are there to protect Australia's native wildlife. They are vitally important for the many species whose survival is in danger. Except possibly for dingoes, dogs are not indigenous to Australia, so our wildlife is not adapted to living with them. Smaller animals can be killed, large ones disturbed and frightened away by dogs and cats.
  • Even if your dog is on a lead, or is very obedient, its barking or its scent are enough to scare away native wildlife. Remember that many people go to national parks and conservation reserves to see native animals and birds in their native habitat.
  • Feral dogs and cats, pets which have escaped into the bush, become fierce and later generations can grow to abnormaly large sizes. Dogs hunt in packs and cause terrible damage among native birds and animals in parks.
  • Dogs can be a nuisance, even a real menace to other people (especially the very young and old) in picnic and camping areas, along walking tracks or on beaches.
  • It would be impossible to have a rule which allowed some dogs ( the quiet or small ones) into national parks and similar reserves but not others (the big and the boisterous).
  • In case you think Victoria is being tough on dog owners, remember that the same rule about dogs apply in all national parks in all states of Australia.
  • Conservation reserves are generally state and coastal parks, some forest parks, flora and fauna reserves, scenic and nature reserves and some other special reserves: Mt Alexander Koala Park (inside fenced area; Bendigo Region), Olinda Course, William Ricketts Sanctuary, Mt Dandenong Observatory Reserve and Koala Reserves (Dandenong Region).

Where dogs can go

State forests

Dogs are allowed in most of Victoria's State forests. At all times dogs must be under control and should not disturb wildlife or annoy other people.

Game reserves

Dogs accompanying licensed hunters for the purpose of duck hunting are permitted in game reserves during duck-hunting season only provided they are under control and do not annoy other people. Dogs are not permitted in game reserves at any other time.

Also

Bona fide guide dogs accompanying blind people can be taken into all national parks and similar conservation reserves and state forests.

Dogs are permitted in cars only travelling on bitumen roads which pass through national parks.

Dogs are permitted in the following parks provided they are on a leash and under control of their owners at all times

AROUND MELBOURNE

• Albert Park
  • Banksia Park
  • Birrarrung Park
  • Brimbank Park
  • Bushy Park (on multi purpose trail, not in wetlands sanctuary)
  • Cardinia Reservoir Park
  • Devilbend Reservoir Park
  • Greenvale Reservoir Park
  • George Tindale Gardens
  • Jells Park (except in conservation area)
  • Karkarook Park
  • Koomba Park
  • Lerderderg SP (except Mackenzies Creek Picnic area or Grahams Dam Track)
  • Macedon Regional Park
  • Maroondah Reservoir Park (except on walking tracks from Maroondah Reservoir to Donnellys Weir Park or dam wall)
  • Mornington Peninsula NP (only between London Bridge & Gunnamatta & Stockyard Creek and West Head sunrise to 9am)
  • Nortons Park
  • Pipemakers Park
  • Silvan Reservoir Park (except forested track)
  • Toorourrong Reservoir Park
  • Upper Yarra Reservoir Park (not the forestedtrack)
  • Warrandyte SP (at Anderson Creek)
  • Wattle Park
  • Werribee Park (restricted areas)
  • Westerfolds Park
  • Westgate Park
  • Woodlands HP (except conservation area)
  • Yarra Bend Park
  • Yarra Flats Park
  • Yarrambat Park
  • You Yangs Regional Park

REGIONAL VICTORIA

• Bunurong MCP
  • Cape Conran CP (only campsites 56-110)
  • Dergholm SP (at Bailey's Rocks)
  • Discovery Bay MP (only between tide marks on Bridge Water beach and Nelson Ocean Beach)
  • Enfield SP
  • Gippsland Lakes CP (dogs are only permitted - on a leash at all times - at the following locations: Barrier Landing, Ocean Grange, Paradise Beach, Loch Sport Causeway, The Wreck, Flamingo Beach, The Honeysuckles and between camp sites one to six on Shoreline Drive at Golden Beach.)
  • Hepburn Regional Park
  • Kooyoora SP
  • Lake Albacutya Park
  • Lake Eildon NP (Jersusalem Creek camping only)
  • Murray Kulkyne Park
  • Otway NP (part of Johanna Beach only)
  • Steiglitz HP
  • Tarago Reservoir Park
  • Thomson Reservoir Park

There are planty pf places where people can take their dogs,and plenty of parks where they can be taken,my girlfriend has a dog in the UK and she lives in an urban area where there are very few places she can walk her dog,one of the reasons she wants to move here is that she will be able to take him for walks in our local parks and gardens.

As regards cat curfews.I fully support them,and responsible cat owners in Australia do likewise.

Oh and BTW I have a great dane who has a wonderful life with plenty of exercise and who is well looked after,I also have two tabby kittens which I kept when they were dumped on my doorstep last year,they are kept in a basket indoors at night but during the day they have a large fenced compound with trees to climb and grass to run around on,they are well behaved and don't bother with the birds that are around here but if they did they would spend more time indoors,I love animals,of all kinds and so so many Australians.

Guest siamsusie
your obviously not well informed here is a quote from the Victoria national park web site:

what you have to remember is that for someone contenplating moving to Oz with a dog where they have generally found few restirctions it is important to know what the restrictions are here as this will affect their so called perceived "lifestyle"

Moving to Melbourne Meet & Greet,Furnished Rentals,Airport Pickup Relocation Assistance

"Don't worry about leaving your pets behind either, we can help arrange your paperwork and can collect and board your pet from the quarantine station until you have permanent accommodation organised."

I dont think you need worry Tao about Kate's source of information:cute:

Susie

Guest The Pom Queen

As Nigel has pointed out you have done a very selective quote from the website and have missed out all the parks you can take your dogs to (there are parks like Police Paddocks that aren't even mentioned on the list). I worked at the largest animal hospital in the Southern Hemisphere in Melbourne, am a qualified dog trainer in Melbourne, as well as advising councils on local pet laws so yes I am informed. I also worked as a wildlife ranger, so yes I do feel qualified to advise and know my facts!!

Forgot to add link to the Police Paddocks http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=100

Dogs are permitted in some areas of the park. All dogs in the picnic area must be kept on a lead at all times. Dogs are permitted on the Woodland Walk but must be on a lead at all times. Dog owners can run their dogs off lead on the two ovals adjacent to Brady Road.

Guest The Pom Queen
Not sure if you realised it but all but a very few beaches here are also dog no go areas.

Just in Port Philip Council you have 7 dog friendly beaches, is that not enough for one area?:swoon:

Guest The Pom Queen

Oops I also forgot to point out that for those moving to the Mornington Peninsula they have now changed the rules so that you can walk along 75% of the coastal National Parks with your dog. For beaches you have:

http://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/content/cont...=&cnid=1404

Leash free all year all times:

Royal Beach, Mornington 104 C10 Pebble and sand beach

Fosters Beach, Mornington 145 B4 Access via walking track

Hawker Beach, Mt Martha 145 A9 Enter via fire access track

Safety Beach 150 E10 Sandy beach between Tassells Ck & Bruce Rd

Flinders Beach 262 B7 - D3 Between Dodds Creek & Manton Creek

Somers Beach 194 F11 200 metres of sandy beach, east from bottom of ‘hundred steps’

Not permitted during daylight savings - on leash all other times:

Mothers Beach, Mornington 104 D9 Popular beach for mothers with small children

Sorrento Beach 157 Between Coppins Jetty & St Aubins Way B6-B7 Boat Ramp

Portsea Beach 156 E2-F2 Beach areas within 100 metres of Pier

Leash-Free from 7pm to 9am the Next Day During Daylight Savings and Leash-Free at All Other Times of the Year

Dogs are Prohibited from 9am to 7pm During Daylight Savings

Daveys Bay 101 F7 Accessed from end of Daveys Bay Road

Mt. Eliza Beach 101E8 Between Freemans Rd & Williams Rd

Half Moon Bay 101 D10 Accessed from Canadian Bay Road car park

Dava Beach, Mt Martha 145 B6 Access via steep stairway

Birdrock Beach, Mt Martha 145 B7 Access via Dava Beach

Safety Beach 160 A4 Opposite B.P. petrol station

Rosebud Beach 158 F11 Sandy beach from 100 metres west and 200 metres east of car park opposite Murray Anderson Drive

Rye Beach 168 J4 - K4 Between Daly Avenue & Shirlow Ave

Sorrento Beach 157 E9 100 metres east of Sorrento Sailing Club to the ‘Western Sister’

Shelley Beach, Portsea 156 G2 - J3 Between Franklin Road & Hempston Avenue

Somers Beach 194 F11 300 metres of sandy beach, west from bottom of‘hundred steps’

Leash-Free from 7pm to 12 noon the next day from 26 December to 1 March. Leash-Free at all other times of the year.

Dogs on leash between 12 noon and 7pm, from 26 December to 1 March.

Camerons Bight 157 G11 Beach area between Stringer Road Sorrento & Blairgowrie and Monument to the 1803 first settlers

Leash-Free from 7pm to 9am the Next Day During Daylight Savings Period. Leash-Free from 5pm to 9am the Next Day at Times Outside the Daylight Savings Period Dogs Prohibited from 9am to 7pm During Daylight Savings Period Dogs On Leash from 9am to 5pm at Times Outside the Daylight Savings Period

McCrae Beach 159 A9 300 metres of sandy beach to the east of a point 25 metres east of the car park opposite Margaret St

Guest chris955

I would actually make it a legal requirement that cats MUST be kept indoors at all times rather than make it voluntary. Cats do an incredible amount of damage to the environment and kill many millions of native animals every year. I know quite a few people with cats and unfortunately few keep them indoors. I quite literally just read that only 2% of cats in this region are desexed, 2% is bloody pathetic and it is no wonder they are breeding out of control. Pets should NOT be allowed to roam free.

Perhaps the OP needs to take Oz from his title and replace it with the exact area of where he lives so prospective migrants don't think the whole continent is like a pet prison.

Having lived in both Adelaide, SA and Devonport, Tasmania for almost 20 years I am yet to find anywhere that I couldn't walk or run a dog, every day of the year.

The Aussies have one of the highest levels of pet ownership in the world which I'm sure wouldn't be the case if the OPs claims that there was "No freedom for pets in Oz" were true:wacko:

Guest The Pom Queen
I would actually make it a legal requirement that cats MUST be kept indoors at all times rather than make it voluntary. Cats do an incredible amount of damage to the environment and kill many millions of native animals every year. I know quite a few people with cats and unfortunately few keep them indoors. I quite literally just read that only 2% of cats in this region are desexed, 2% is bloody pathetic and it is no wonder they are breeding out of control. Pets should NOT be allowed to roam free.

In a lot of councils in Melbourne it is a legal requirement.

Guest TA01085

So it's OK ffor humans to walk through them but not Dogs, on the assumption they do damage. On this basis there would be no wild life left in the UK which of course in not the case.

and what has this proved that the different states in OZ do not have a coordinated approach to this or a whole raft of other issues. In Queensland (and you can check their website) you will find practically no areas that you would enjoy walking wiil allow you to take a dog.

Guest TA01085
In a lot of councils in Melbourne it is a legal requirement.

You will be telling me that animals kept in a Zoo live longer next.

Archived