No freedom for pets in OZ

Guest TA01085

Guest TA01085
Perhaps the OP needs to take Oz from his title and replace it with the exact area of where he lives so prospective migrants don't think the whole continent is like a pet prison.

Having lived in both Adelaide, SA and Devonport, Tasmania for almost 20 years I am yet to find anywhere that I couldn't walk or run a dog, every day of the year.

The Aussies have one of the highest levels of pet ownership in the world which I'm sure wouldn't be the case if the OPs claims that there was "No freedom for pets in Oz" were true:wacko:

We live in SE Queensland and we have not found it to be Dog freindly at all.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

Now that will never happen, the States will never agree on a coordinated approach to anything.

I am not aware of any councils up here that require cats to be kept indoors not that it would stop most people anyway.

Animals do live longer in zoos :wink:

and what has this proved that the different states in OZ do not have a coordinated approach to this or a whole raft of other issues. In Queensland (and you can check their website) you will find practically no areas that you would enjoy walking wiil allow you to take a dog.

Guest siamsusie
I would actually make it a legal requirement that cats MUST be kept indoors at all times rather than make it voluntary. Cats do an incredible amount of damage to the environment and kill many millions of native animals every year. I know quite a few people with cats and unfortunately few keep them indoors. I quite literally just read that only 2% of cats in this region are desexed, 2% is bloody pathetic and it is no wonder they are breeding out of control. Pets should NOT be allowed to roam free.

I couldnt agree more Chris... although I do love all animals. I am astounded to see that there is no current legislation in Tasmania Cats and Other Animals | Hobart City Council, Tasmania.

I do believe (and hear) the use of shotguns are used in the case of feral cats in our area.

Susie

Guest chris955

I know a bloke in Ballarat who shoots EVERY cat he sees feral or not, to him if it is outside it is feral and to be honest it is hard to fault the logic.

Guest guest30038
I love animals,of all kinds and so so many Australians.

Yeah, I love many Australians also :tongue: :wink:

kev

I remember what it was like before they clamped down on dog and cat ownership and in my view its a 100% better now as everyone knows what is what. Unfortunately I lost my two dogs late last year due age related illnesses but it never worried me that there were restrictions, i e have to be on a lead in certain areas, on the beach before 9 am in summer etc., its part and parcel of having pets.

We still have irresponsible pet owners but I believe they are reducing and in time perhaps will disappear altogether. I have adopted quite a few strays in my life and would like to think that they would be scarce in the future.

Only guide dogs have human conditions of where they are allowed in Australia.

That said and off subject we were at Stone Henge the other day and it was hot, a car in the shade had a dog in the back no windows open and it was panting. Why do people not realise in the shade a car can get very hot for a dog and windows must be down. We commented how we never took our dogs in the car unless it was cool and always had a window open.

Guest TA01085
Now that will never happen, the States will never agree on a coordinated approach to anything.

I am not aware of any councils up here that require cats to be kept indoors not that it would stop most people anyway.

Animals do live longer in zoos :wink:

So now your telling me that all animals should be in Zoo's I think the animal rights lot might take exception to this.

Guest proud2beaussie
So now your telling me that all animals should be in Zoo's I think the animal rights lot might take exception to this.

Exactly WHERE in any of Chris's posts has he advocated keeping all animals in zoos?

I am asking that you either edit your post or apologise to Chris immediately.

Sorry, but Chriss955 was telling you no such thing. You were the one who brought up zoo's in the first place - though only you know why!!

Guest MadChicken
Not sure if you realised it but all but a very few beaches here are also dog no go areas.

TAOIO85 how many beaches do you need to walk your dog? think theres more than just a "few" beaches

A beach was just an suggestion

Ive seen some people reply and give some good info to your dog walking problem and ive not seen any positive responses back. strange how everyone else can understand and respect the ozzy ways.

with all the info all the guys have given, You could be walking your dog for 6months straight! but before the long walk a simple thanks to all that have given you there time and info would be nice

Guest brooksey

Dogs are allowed on every beach on the Gold Coast exept inbetween the life guard flags. They have to be on a lead on most but not all.

We have two off lead parks here on Pacific pines and all the forrest trails (i keep him on a lead for snakes in forrests). To be honest nearly everybody has their dogs off the lead in all the parks anyway.

I love walking mine down the broadwater, off leash on the beach and on it when on the paths.

There are free dog poo bags everywhere and bins to put them in.

As for cats doing their business on my garden,it is utterly wrong. They should be kept indoors.

Guest chris955

It is a very well known fact that most species live considerably longer in captive conditions. I'm not really sure where you got the idea I was saying all animals should be kept in zoo's :confused:

You will be telling me that animals kept in a Zoo live longer next.

Guest brooksey

I must admit though, i miss being able to take my dog to the pub. There not even allowed to sit outside here but apparently they are allowed in NSW.

Guest proud2beaussie

TAO1085,

Chris will tell you that he and I do not see eye to eye on many things so I am likely to generally be the last person to defend him,however I do know that he has for many years had a strong interest in reptiles so I am confident that he would be the last person to suggest that all animals be kept in zoos because that would severely restrict his hobby,I am confident that Chris always has the best interests of native wildlife at heart when he comments about such things as cats being controlled.

Again I cannot see where in any of his remarks he has advocated keeping all animals in zoos,I believe you owe him an apology and as a moderator charged with the task of keeping the forum running smoothly I am suggesting that you apologise without delay.

Guest proud2beaussie
I must admit though, i miss being able to take my dog to the pub. There not even allowed to sit outside here but apparently they are allowed in NSW.

,my local pub has a deck and a beer garden and the landlord doesn't mind if people call in for a beer when out walking their dogs,in fact he put's out bowls of water and some dry food for them.but it may be different in some states,I'm not sure whether it's a licensing authority thing or down to the licensee,there may be health regulations or something that prohibit it in some areas.

Guest guest36762
We used to have both a cat and dod when we lived in the UK. The cat had a usuall nomadic life and we enjoyed taking our dog to the countr for walks.

How shocked we were to find that cats have to be kept in indoors and to quote from a local council web site:

"Cat owners are required to prevent their cats from straying or causing a nuisance to neighbours and wildlife".

which basically means you have to keep them in doors all the time, no life for a cat.

Its even worse for dogs. forget about any walks in the country unless you are happy to leave your do at home as all national parks do not allow dogs even on a lead. For that matter there is just about nowhere you can let your do off a lead apart from council provided enclosures which are usually very small. We used to take ours to the Queen Elizabeth Country park when we were in the UK where he enjoyed a good run round but no such luck here.

To quote the national park website:

National parks and reserves are refuges for native animals. Dogs and other domestic pets (other than trained assistance animals such as guide dogs) must not be taken into national parks, state conservation areas, nature reserves, historic sites or Aboriginal areas, because:

Native animals see dogs as predators. The lasting scent left by dogs can easily scare small animals and birds away from their homes, often causing them to leave their young unprotected.

Dog faeces carry diseases which can be harmful to wildlife and people, and also add nutrients to the soil, increasing the spread of weeds.

What a crock of Sh*t.

I must admit that even I'm getting a bit tired of your moaning (didn't use the W word). I know you're not happy, and I'm sorry about that, but for goodness sake that doesn't make it everyone else's fault. I've tried sticking up for you a few times -I don't like to see people who are having a hard time given a rough ride on this forum- but I've not had any acknowledgement of the fact. Yes I realise you need an outlet for your frustration, but why not use a bit of etiquette, and try to er.......be nice to people?

Guest The Pom Queen

I think you are fighting a loosing battle and trying to put words in to a lot of peoples mouths. I never mentioned keeping animals in zoos either, this was your comment to a post of mine:mad:

Guest guest36762

BTW, for the record, we brought our (now 10year old) cat with us out here. She does go outside in the daytime, but she's become so scared of the birds she trots straight from the house to the shed where she sleeps a lot. She comes in at night, and seems happy enough....and is even starting to tolerate the kids in her old age.

Guest The Pom Queen
If you had bothered to read a previous post where moving to Melbourne advocates the constraint of cats on the basis of longer life (probably based on an opinion rather than a fact something he has not been picked up on) and he/she goes on to say that animals in Zoo’s live longer also (probably another opinion) so draw your own conclusions I have.

Actually it is based on FACT and as a professional working in the veterinary field 4 years in Melbourne and 10 years in UK I think I am more qualified to make these comments than you!!! Also as mentioned on my other post I have not once mentioned keeping animals in zoos:mad:

Guest TA01085
Exactly WHERE in any of Chris's posts has he advocated keeping all animals in zoos?

I am asking that you either edit your post or apologise to Chris immediately.

If you had bothered to read a previous post where moving to Melbourne advocates the constraint of cats on the basis of longer life (probably based on an opinion rather than a fact something he has not been picked up on) and Chris goes on to say that “animals do live in Zoo’s longer” (probably another opinion) so draw your own conclusions.

I have no personal beef with the posters, especially Chris as he’s one of the escapees from this place.

And yes I thank all those people for their suggestions and information, not much use for Queensland though.

Guest proud2beaussie
If you had bothered to read a previous post where moving to Melbourne advocates the constraint of cats on the basis of longer life (probably based on an opinion rather than a fact something he has not been picked up on) and he/she goes on to say that animals in Zoo’s live longer also (probably another opinion) so draw your own conclusions I have.

And yes I thank all those people for their suggestions and information, not much use for Queensland though.

You are the one who implied that Chris955 had advocated a policy of putting all animals in zoos,the reality is,whether you care to admit it or not,is that he did no such thing,you had,in a previous reply posted

all Chris did was to reply in your terms,he was basically saying (not puting words in his mouth here) 'well actually they DO" but at NO stage in that post,or subsequent ones did he advocate that ALL animals should be in zoos,you got it wrong and now you are attempting to wriggle out of it.

I suggest that you apologise for accusing Chris of posting something he didn't,and move on.

Guest guest30038

It's a human trait that when someone is frustrated by their circumstances they (may) tend to vent that frustration in other areas or on other people. It seems to me TAO that it is Qld and Chris who are coming in for the flack here and your frustration is neither helping you, new migrants or returnees, but simply adding to your (seeming) anger at your circumstances. Back off...........for your own peace of mind

kev

Guest TA01085

is this the 5 minute argument or the 10 minute argument................., Oh by the way Chris enjoy yourself back in good old pommie land, and SORRRRRY

Archived