How many of us are going back in the next couple of months or so...?

Conniebygaslight

Guest Guest37175
Good luck to you all, I found the return harder emotionally than the leaving but boy was it worth it. It took a little while but jobs came thick and fast once they did. Our two year plan of action is taking shape and we are thrilled with the school reports the kids have had. We hope to move into our new house within the month and although Oz is behind us for now, it will always be part of the shape our family has become.

Enjoy the buzz, and Ozsceptic: Waitrose deliver

Best wishes one and all

valleylass

Luxury!. Just in time for Chrimbo!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we have been back a month and are very happy we have made the right decision. Still waiting for my OH to start work he has a job but still waiting for a few things to clear. We have had a offer accepted on a house at a great price too so that is all going through nicely.

It feels great being back and now 4 weeks on we are still catching up with friends and family...it is marvelous. I think once the house goes through and my OH starts work life here will just get better.

Good luck to everyone returning

Well we have been back a month and are very happy we have made the right decision. Still waiting for my OH to start work he has a job but still waiting for a few things to clear. We have had a offer accepted on a house at a great price too so that is all going through nicely.

It feels great being back and now 4 weeks on we are still catching up with friends and family...it is marvelous. I think once the house goes through and my OH starts work life here will just get better.

Good luck to everyone returning

How wonderful for you all the best :hug:

Guest famousfive

We are returning next year,about 9mths away.Can't wait to be honest.It's nice here but our lives are back at home.We just miss the feeling of being alive we had at home if that makes sense.Will keep Oz as a holiday destination from now on and Ireland as home.

We are returning next year,about 9mths away.Can't wait to be honest.It's nice here but our lives are back at home.We just miss the feeling of being alive we had at home if that makes sense.Will keep Oz as a holiday destination from now on and Ireland as home.

I agree FF-although people keep telling me to make the most of being here-not too easy when Husband works all hours-it's not a cheap excercise going back and starting again.

Guest famousfive

Not cheap thats for sure,we return to try our own business again but this could only be done by leasing and some intense negotiation on deposit costs etc..

Life here goes on in the meantime however.We had a chance at running a cafe here until we leave but we had to can that idea as the goalposts kept changing and it would end up being about 14mths which we are not interested in.

My hubby also works long hours,6.30am-6.30pm as a chef so the girls and I usually do things on our own.The biggest problem is the wage is very low in this area so limited to doing all the cheap things which we have exhausted thus far.

At the minute we are busy getting kids used to irish schooling again,and doing a crash course at home with them in Irish dance and language so they will not feel behind when we land.

Not all fun and games really but sure it will be time to leave before we know it.Very tempted to leave by xmas though so more thinking to be done.

Guest guest36762

reading your posts recently FF, it sounds like you've got a bit hacked off, careful now, you'll be labelled a whingeing paddy

Guest famousfive

Yep,noticed that myself too actually.Whinging Paddy? Has a certain ring to it,better than Plastic Paddy which is the usual term for irish expats.LOL.

Burning the candle at both ends at the minute caring for my father in law who is very unwell with cancer,obviously coming through in my posts.A wee break may be in order.

Not cheesed off to be honest,still making the most of our time here and where we live on the mid north coast of nsw is beautiful enough to lift anyones spirits.

Onwards and upwards I say.

Hi ho,Hi ho it's off to see the dolphins we go..

A neighbour won a family pass to the local Porpoise pool and gave it to us to use,have I ever mentioned that we have the best neighbours we have ever had-anywhere!Thank you Ben and Mads.We will enjoy.

Guest guest36762

A neighbour won a family pass to the local Porpoise pool and gave it to us to use,have I ever mentioned that we have the best neighbours we have ever had-anywhere!Thank you Ben and Mads.We will enjoy.

whats the porpoise of that though, having good neighbours if you ain't settled

not a serious question, I just wanted to somehow incorporate porpoise into a sentence

Guest famousfive

Your mad,but of course you realise that.lol.

Now if only I could find the kids we would be off.Where ever did I put them?

Guest guest36762
Your mad,but of course you realise that.lol.

Now if only I could find the kids we would be off.Where ever did I put them?

did you look in the microwave or the fridge?

2301 days until I can go home for longer than a month at a time ..... Have kids to aussie father. My little 11 year old man was born in Aussie but is as english as me , my 13 yar old daughter is aussie through and through and thinks england is somewhere she would like to visit.....We are going back for a month at christmas so hope this helps her understand why I love it so !! wait and see x

2301 days until I can go home for longer than a month at a time ..... Have kids to aussie father. My little 11 year old man was born in Aussie but is as english as me , my 13 yar old daughter is aussie through and through and thinks england is somewhere she would like to visit.....We are going back for a month at christmas so hope this helps her understand why I love it so !! wait and see x

Oh poor you that answers my question on the other thread:hug:

Guest chris955

That's a 'how long is a piece of string question'. What sort of work are you talking about, I mean actual occupations and what area in the UK ?

Average UK is around 25k, average London is around 45k.

Guest peacock
Unskilled work will mostly pay national minimum wage,which has turned into maximum wage,approx£6 an hour

Six quid an hour ? is that a Mcd's type job ?

It is yeah,but any factory/warehousing jobs are more or less the same.

My own job (bricklayer) has seen rates drop bigtime IF you can find work,last proper job was £18.50 an hour now they are offering approx £10 an hour.

Even the pricework rates have dropped by nearly 50% in some cases,NOT good!

Guest siamsusie

Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, today announced a 25p increase in the London "living wage", bringing to £7.85 the hourly rate that Londoners are judged to require to lift them out of poverty.

Wednesday 9 June 2010 16.26 BST

Boris Johnson announces 25p increase in London 'living wage' | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Using a range of indicators, it finds that someone paid less than about £6.80 an hour in the capital will be living in poverty, even after benefits and tax credits are taken into account.

:wubclub:Best wishes Susie

Boris Johnson, the mayor of London, today announced a 25p increase in the London "living wage", bringing to £7.85 the hourly rate that Londoners are judged to require to lift them out of poverty.

Wednesday 9 June 2010 16.26 BST

Boris Johnson announces 25p increase in London 'living wage' | Politics | guardian.co.uk

:wubclub:Best wishes Susie

Yeah good point susie,not sure where peacock is intending to go(if they are?)but the wages will differ slightly region to region,im talking north west as thats what i know.

Guest siamsusie
Yeah good point susie,not sure where peacock is intending to go(if they are?)but the wages will differ slightly region to region,im talking north west as thats what i know.

Totally agree Pabs, but having experience of London Borough of Tower Hamlets, I found unfortunately that it was considered the norm to employ foreigners at a fraction of the so called Minimum Wage Levy!.... you only have to look at the Olympic City.... sorry to say no work for the locals

:mad:

:wubclub:Susie x

Totally agree Pabs, but having experience of London Borough of Tower Hamlets, I found unfortunately that it was considered the norm to employ foreigners at a fraction of the so called Minimum Wage Levy!.... you only have to look at the Olympic City.... sorry to say no work for the locals

:mad:

:wubclub:Susie x

I know susie,a few of me mates have gone and stayed down there to look for work,the olympic site is mostly foreigners,some choose not to believe that but it IS true.

The days of us northern monkeys going down there for a bend are well+truly gone!

Guest peacock

Not going back, just curious what is happening there, how the hell can you survive on that sought of money in London.

Not going back, just curious what is happening there, how the hell can you survive on that sought of money in London.

Dont know mate! housesharing etc i would imagine,as i say,im in the north west and its WOEFULL up here trying to find work,ive been setting brick nearly 30 yrs,had some iffy times in the past but NOTHING like now,thats the building industry btw,cant comment on other industrys.

Archived