How many of us are going back in the next couple of months or so...?

Conniebygaslight

Guest chris955

Honestly ? I must admit I have met many Aussies who have had a very realistic view of this country, not all think it is the best country in the world :biggrin:

I have yet to met one Australian throughout the world which includes my husband who does not hold Australia dear to their hearts and are completely nationalistic.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MXP78
His thoughts mirrored many of my own. He views Australia as being like a stroppy sulky teenager at a family do, whom all the grown ups humour or just ignore.

So funny you say that, it is exactly how my husband has described Australia, as a young teenager almost trying to find it's place in the world. So it's like it's always trying to big itself up.

Guest rachellh
All the best Rachel, how long were you here? and where are you going back to?

Thanks!

We've been here 3 1/2 years now. Long enough to give it the benefit of the doubt and enjoy our life, but still enough time to realise it's not right for us!

We're moving back to Norwich. Never lived there before but love the area. Meant to be 20 years from London - which we like with young kids - but it only takes 2 hours to travel there on the train. On the other hand, Perth (IMO) was 20 years from the rest of the world and an expensive, painful 24 hours of flying to get anyway. It was an easy choice to make!

Rachel :biggrin:

Guest guest36762
So funny you say that, it is exactly how my husband has described Australia, as a young teenager almost trying to find it's place in the world. So it's like it's always trying to big itself up.

bingo, spot on

so the best way to view all this 'aussie aussie aussie' carry on is with the benevolent grace of an elderly flatulent relative

Thanks!

We've been here 3 1/2 years now. Long enough to give it the benefit of the doubt and enjoy our life, but still enough time to realise it's not right for us!

We're moving back to Norwich. Never lived there before but love the area. Meant to be 20 years from London - which we like with young kids - but it only takes 2 hours to travel there on the train. On the other hand, Perth (IMO) was 20 years from the rest of the world and an expensive, painful 24 hours of flying to get anyway. It was an easy choice to make!

That's the good thing about the Uk you can live in a small place and really be quite rural and out of it as you want but get to everywhere very easily-no brainer for us too.

Guest rachellh
That's the good thing about the Uk you can live in a small place and really be quite rural and out of it as you want but get to everywhere very easily-no brainer for us too.

Exactly. We'll have green fields for the dog to run around in just 3 minutes in one direction and a fantastic city to go into only 5 minutes in the other. Never mind Europe being just an hour away and low-cost, cheap food around every corner!

Roll on next week. Never have I looked forward to such a long time in the air before!

Exactly. We'll have green fields for the dog to run around in just 3 minutes in one direction and a fantastic city to go into only 5 minutes in the other. Never mind Europe being just an hour away and low-cost, cheap food around every corner!

Roll on next week. Never have I looked forward to such a long time in the air before!

Isn't it funny how you see things differently- I swear to goodness I would not be able to see any images of the UK if we weren't going back I wouldn't be able to handle it. I've never felt more British in my life. We have so much there Stratford upon Avon for example, York, the West end yahoo!!!

Guest rachellh
Isn't it funny how you see things differently- I swear to goodness I would not be able to see any images of the UK if we weren't going back I wouldn't be able to handle it. I've never felt more British in my life. We have so much there Stratford upon Avon for example, York, the West end yahoo!!!

Yes it's funny how you re-appreciate a country when you're not there. We went to see Wicked at the weekend here in Sydney - let's just say walking out afterwards through the noodle bars and grotty streets didn't really give it quite the same feel as when we went to see a show in the West End!

Lot of posts on here about England not being a patriotic country. I think a lot of that is down to what we're told we all feel - that England isn't a nice place to live - so we believe it's true. But I know many people who love the place and would never leave - and all those who return go back because they realise what it has to offer. I think being proud of a place is something you have to choose to do, the country itself can't make you feel that way! Every country has problems, England probably no more than anywhere else.

Australians are incredibly proud of what they have here, though IMO I can't really see why. But perhaps if more English made the effort to see the good and not the bad of their own country, then the place would thrive and everyone would be happier. Stick a bloody leather ball in the mix every 4 years and everyone comes to together to support the Union Jack, why can't they do that for the bigger picture?!!

Guest chloew
I've been counting down since July 2009 and finally I can say that we're flying out of here in just 10 days now and I can hardly sleep for the excitement!

We already left Perth 2 weeks ago and are now wishing time away in a series of 3 (deeply depressing) rental properties in Sydney while my husband works in the city.

Our shipment is currently bobbing around out at sea and our dog has already flown back and is waiting for us with family. We've already rented a house in UK for our return (what a 3 act drama that was) and have bought a car that will be waiting for us when we land. Driving licenses have been changed, nursery spots booked and my daughter starts at her new school (a decent education finally) a month later.

It's taken a year of planning to get to where we are now, with a trip back to the UK to sort stuff out in between. I'm glad we organised the move properly for our return - unlike when we initially decided to come to Perth and my husband flew out just 4 days later!

Now just looking forward to being home and hopefully enjoying the rest of that lovely summer they're having. And when the UK winter does start, well I've already stocked up on cheap Uggs and Ugg gloves and I'll just enjoy making the make of central heating and quality house building (with insulation) while I look forward to Xmas!

Did I mention just how excited we are to be leaving???!!!!!

You sound very organised and best of luck for the journey back home. Did you sort out your rental back in the UK from over here or on a trip back there? We have an open offer to stay with my folks but would like to find somewhere of our own!

Guest rachellh
You sound very organised and best of luck for the journey back home. Did you sort out your rental back in the UK from over here or on a trip back there? We have an open offer to stay with my folks but would like to find somewhere of our own!

I started a 'moving home' file last July as soon as we'd decided to go!

We sorted the rental from here, but could only do so because a very nice friend (someone from on here actually!) went to see the house for me and gave me her opinion - which I trusted!! Had to go with gut instinct, a few pictures and the excellent location. Helps that the landlord seems pretty easy going and has said we can repaint the house if we want as long as it's left in a good state. Plus he thought our dog was cute and let him stay too!

Sorting it out took about 6 weeks in total, what with getting all the references sorted from our rental agency this end and my husbands work. Wasn't exactly straight forward and was a highly stressful time waiting to see if we'd got it. But it does make all the difference in the world to be able to move straight into our own place when we arrive and have our shipment delivered straight away.

It's great you've got a place to stay, but I agree, living on top of other people can be a nightmare and not how you want to start off your life back! Still, it's free and it's all about saving money when you're making a move like this isn't it!

Guest TA01085
Hey Chris,

I know you say that the kids will be on the street corners in the UK, but thats EXACTLY what I have seen here too... PLUS the drug culture seems more acceptable here.

Its early days for me, but currently other than the weather I have not seen anything that would make me think that life is better in Oz. Even for work, you have to have a certificate to tie your shoe laces.

I am highly qualified in the UK, and hold a NEBOSH distinction in health and safety and I cant get an interview for a OHS job here.!!

I guess I just need some convincing ....

What have I been saying all along ... it's ony the weather thats different and the rules about qualifications are unbeleivable.

Just been to pick the kids up from School and had Take That's Mancunian Way playing- feel so homesick now and I'm not even from Manchester-I get like that with The Clash London Calling and I'm not from London either...think I'm just desperate lol:laugh:

Guest roma 1
Thanks!

Hi Rachel.

sorry for jumping in but just wanted to say that we live in Norwich ( have done all our lives) and not moving to Oz now for various reasons.. if you need any help just pm me and you will love it here...

Gail xx

Guest funkymonkey

We have sold our house and have decided to rent for six months to save some more money and get more organised...house sold quicker than we thought and only had a 6 week settlement so couldn't get organised in time. My husband's work will pay for our rental as it will be in a country town and then we will leave for good in January. Sometimes i want to go straight away but know it will be good to get some more money behind us. It won't be as nice arriving in January though :no:

Have been planning/getting our house ready to sell for a year now.... but three kids under 4 has slowed us down a bit....

We have sold our house and have decided to rent for six months to save some more money and get more organised...house sold quicker than we thought and only had a 6 week settlement so couldn't get organised in time. My husband's work will pay for our rental as it will be in a country town and then we will leave for good in January. Sometimes i want to go straight away but know it will be good to get some more money behind us. It won't be as nice arriving in January though :no:

Have been planning/getting our house ready to sell for a year now....

Oh FM it's not long from January to the first signs of spring. Where are you heading back to and how long have you been here...?

Guest funkymonkey
Oh FM it's not long from January to the first signs of spring. Where are you heading back to and how long have you been here...?

Your right of course and Spring is my favourite season...We are hoping to go back to Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire and we will have been here 6 years in January..sometimes i can't contain the excitement but i am pretty worried too about jobs/houses/way of life etc.... My husband is Australian and has a job he loves here so he would rather stay here...he is up for giving the UK a go too though. :yes:

Guest rachellh

Have been planning/getting our house ready to sell for a year now.... but three kids under 4 has slowed us down a bit....

Time goes fast when you have an end in sight - just sort out as much as you can now and make it easier at the end!

Guest rachellh
Hi Rachel.

sorry for jumping in but just wanted to say that we live in Norwich ( have done all our lives) and not moving to Oz now for various reasons.. if you need any help just pm me and you will love it here...

Gail xx

Hi Gail

Small world on here isn't it! I'll send you a PM once I've fed the kids and forced them to sleep!

Rachel x

Guest chloew
In case any of you are interested, here's my latest blog on why exactly I need to go home - it's a sanity and roots thing for me!

Very good, made me chuckle!

Guest rachellh
Very good, made me chuckle!

Thanks for reading and letting me know, glad you enjoyed!!

Hey Rachel!

Loved the Blog....made me giggle too!

I used to live in Norwich as well...............HELLO Roma1...............anyway....it's a great place to live so I wish you all the best!

We too are moving on from Australia............for much the same reasons as others have posted!

Guest rachellh
Hey Rachel!

Loved the Blog....made me giggle too!

I used to live in Norwich as well...............HELLO Roma1...............anyway....it's a great place to live so I wish you all the best!

We too are moving on from Australia............for much the same reasons as others have posted!

Thanks for reading! Have only ever heard great things about Norwich so can't wait to find a fence to shackle myself to!

Good luck with your move...

Guest gratom

Good luck Rachel with your move--Norwich is a great city.Spent several years there and regret moving.A really marvellous market and a beautiful cathedral.Hope the move goes OK--you won't regret it.:hug:

Guest rachellh
Good luck Rachel with your move--Norwich is a great city.Spent several years there and regret moving.A really marvellous market and a beautiful cathedral.Hope the move goes OK--you won't regret it.:hug:

Thank you, always good to hear we made the right decision! Can't wait to experience everything that Norfolk as a whole has to offer.

Archived