Dangers to dogs in Australia

Guest rachaeljennifer

Guest rachaeljennifer

Me and my partner are really wanting to move to Queensland in the next couple of years, one of my major worries is that my pet Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Brie, might get herself into some teouble with the local insects.

Does anyone know how to avoid dogs coming into contact with poisonous wildlife? Or where the best places to live, away from snakes and these types of insects will be.

Obviously I realise I cannot get away from these creatures completely, and I myself am not bothered by them, but I cannot help but worry about what will happen to Brie as she is a very curious animal.

Thanks!

Rach:cute:

Guest chloew

Not sure of areas to avoid. My aunt's dog got bitten by a snake in the garden in Northern New South Wales and unfortunatley died. Also, you have to be careful of cane toads as they lick them and can get poisoned. If your dog is curious it may be best to keep her on a lead.

Hi rachaeljennifer

Definitely one of the biggest threats to dogs I think has to be cane toads!! I wouldn't really know though. I mean, if it was completely unsafe then nobody would keep any dogs! My uncle has two dogs. They live on the Gold Coast. There's quite a lot of dogs around where they live... I'm not 110% sure on where the main cane toad populations actually lie, but obviously not many in back yards around the Gold Coast area!! :eek:

As for snakes? I've never seen one. Again, I'd say the GC area seems relatively snake-free in back yards! Relatively few lizards are poisonous... lots of little geckos and stuff like that and they tend to hide themselves away in porches and on beams, under window ledges etc and occasionally like to go scurrying around etc..

I've never heard any stories of dogs being bitten and or killed by redbacks. I should imagine it doesn't happen too often! Bearing in mind also it's only the female redbacks that bite and they're smaller than the males. I would say though if you were going to NSW the funnel web spider would probably be much more a worry for you personally and your dogs too!

Hope that helps!! ...and that I haven't put you off (much) :wideeyed:

http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=56

paralyisis ticks are probably the main thing.vets have stuff for their prevention also check your dog regularly. cane toads can also kill dogs i lost a jack russell not long ago to one ,it happened overnight so did not notice. the toads have poisonous glands on their back so when the dog bites he gets a mouthfull. if you notice the dog foaming you can flush the poison away with a hose which is sometimes successful.toads can also shoot the venom quite a distance

Cane toad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

forgot to add the first thing you'll notice when a dog has the tick is it will be dragging its back legs,get to a vet straight away as there is an anti-venene

Guest kimmie

Hi

I have only recently relocated to Queensland from South Australia so am only just familiarising myself with how things work here, the cane toad has been mentioned to me simply because I have 2 dogs and frequent the local pooch parks where local people have told me about they're pets being poisoned by cane toads, altho havent seen any yet!! I can tell you that I have lived in South Australia where one of the most poisonous snakes in the world reside, the King Brown! We lived in the middle of 200 acres of farmland where in the winter we were not bothered by anything by comparison in the summer we were overun with mice, earwigs and wasps, none of which could cause us any harm. However we did need to protect ourselves against the brown's, just this last summer we sited over half a dozen,one of them crossed my husbands path and gave him quite a shock as it was at leasr 2 mtrs long.... but truly I have to say it really didnt stop me living my life. There had been a labrador killed by one about 6 mths prior to us moving in there, so we did take steps by spreading bird netting around the main house, this did the trick and prevented them from coming anywhere near the house or barn where the dogs lived. Like I say that was south australia, I believe the brown snake does live here too but you really should regard all that as secondary, Australians are one of the largest dog owning nations, they have parks just for dogs, apart from the experience I had in SA I really never give a second thought and havent seen anything I would regard as life threatening since I left our rural home over a year ago. Our journey to Queensland was done by car and tent with dogs in tow, we had a fab time with nothing upsetting to report. Oh and staffy's are many here in QLD, it seems to be a very popular breed and quite rightly so, they are wonderfully cheeky and generally have bags of personality. As for the redback spider, you probably need to look this up but as far as I know the redback cannot kill a dog, they metabolise the venom.

Happy travelling:unsure:

Guest Working to fish
Home-The Danger of Paralysis Ticks

paralyisis ticks are probably the main thing.vets have stuff for their prevention also check your dog regularly. cane toads can also kill dogs i lost a jack russell not long ago to one ,it happened overnight so did not notice. the toads have poisonous glands on their back so when the dog bites he gets a mouthfull. if you notice the dog foaming you can flush the poison away with a hose which is sometimes successful.toads can also shoot the venom quite a distance

Cane toad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great post .

We have a 5 month old puppy who is mad as a box of frogs and only last week eat a cain toad ,he was foaming alot ,and as you can imagine we were very stressed trying to get as much water into him as we could .Please to say an hour later he was as right as rain .:smile:

Guest chris955

Snakes, paralysis ticks and cane toads would be the things to look out for, redback spiders can kill dogs but they seldom bite unless the dog actually sticks it's nose into the web.

There isn't really an area you can go to get away from them, it's a bit like living in the sea away from fish :wink:

Hi,

If you take your dog into the country or bush, even coastal areas beware that poison is often put down for rabbits, foxes, dingos etc so you are better off keeping your dog on a leash in these areas. Although most sites are signed the odd farmer will put poison down on land without any notices.

All the best

Great post .

We have a 5 month old puppy who is mad as a box of frogs and only last week eat a cain toad ,he was foaming alot ,and as you can imagine we were very stressed trying to get as much water into him as we could .Please to say an hour later he was as right as rain .:smile:

Of course hes mad just like his dad:biglaugh:

Guest rachaeljennifer

thank you all so much for your comments, they have all been really helpful! thanks!

no doubt i'll be back on here in a few days time with another 'overprotective pooch parent' question :D

Rach xxx

Guest angiestaff

this was a worry of mine too, as both my staffies have no common sense what so ever!

but in 15 mths they haven't eaten anything poisonous (*touching wood as i type! lol)

but i do exercise caution...i don't let them out in the garden on their own and if they're paying too much attention to something we always go and inspect just incase

oh yeah and have ur vets number handy at all times!

ange x

Have had dogs for the past 40 years and lived in most areas from desert to city to country and seen virtually every "nasty" in Australia...including crocs and not one dog injured in any way from said "nasties" but the one creature to be most aware of is the paralysis tick. Check between the dog's toes and around the collar area; stroke the dog frequently for any small lump that might be a tick.

Home-The Danger of Paralysis Ticks

But then again, more dogs die from being run over in the driveway...

Cheers, Bobj.

Got a mate who's lost two rotties to dingoes; they befriend the dog, lead it away then the pack turns on it and kills it. Taipans are a nuisence near farms particularly, same bloke lost another one to a taipan.

perhaps he just shouldn't have dogs.

To avoid ticks my dog only gets to go in scrub for the first two weeks after the killer stuff is squirted on him, apparently that's all it's good for, the rest of the time he gets walked on the beach where therte's not ticks

Guest brooksey

I was told that spiders couldn't hurt dogs. We keep our dog shaved to spot the ticks and if i'm walking in forrests etc then he is on a lead to stop him chasing snakes.(not that i've seen one in a forrest yet)

I didn't know that cain toads had reached WA yet. We occasionly get them in our pool but mainly they only seem to come out at night so again, it's the lead for Morris.

Guest brooksey

One other danger for smaller dogs. Last year on the broadwater a Pelican actualy snatched a Chiwowa(i know i can't spell it). I thought it was a joke until the owner came on tv crying her eyes out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest EdisonCheug
Hi,

If you take your dog into the country or bush, even coastal areas beware that poison is often put down for rabbits, foxes, dingos etc so you are better off keeping your dog on a leash in these areas. Although most sites are signed the odd farmer will put poison down on land without any notices.

All the best

sounds really dangerous...:embarrassed::eek::confused:

Archived