GSM applications lodged before 1 September already Capped and Ceased

Farrukh Zeeshan

Capping and ceasing of specified offshore GSM applications lodged before 1 September 20071 July 2010

On 8 February 2010, the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Senator Chris Evans, announced that applications for certain offshore skilled migration visas made before 1 September 2007 would be capped and ceased. The Minister has now set the maximum number of visas that can be granted for the specified visa classes in the 2009-10 financial year. As the cap has now been reached, applications subject to the capping decision have now ceased. As part of this process the relevant Visa Application Charge(s) will be returned to the applicant and information about the method of repayment will be available on this website shortly.

The following visa subclasses have been affected by this arrangement.

• Skill Matching (Subclass 134)
  • Skilled – Independent (Subclass 136)
  • Skilled – State/Territory-Nominated Independent (Subclass 137)
  • Skilled – Australian Sponsored (Subclass 138)
  • Skilled – Designated Area Sponsored (Subclass 139).

See: Changes to offshore General Skilled Migration visa applications received before 1 September 2007 ( 67KB PDF file)

Guest reddragon81

Well it looks like Evans is not scared after all of any lawsuits....

I know that the ceasing of pre-Sept 2007 was in his powers, but I thought that he would have chosen to wait for the Kill Bill to be passed before implementing any ceasing. Hmmm...

Is there any legal action at all that can be done against DIAC/Aussie Government?

Could this be considered retroactive since they did not have to introduce any new law in order to cease pre-sept 2007 applications?

Now that they have implemented the ceasing, I am more scared that the Bill could be passed... the possibility now looks sooo real... omg...

this whole process is causing me soo much stress... I have decided that I will only check PiO on Mondays to limit the time and energy that I spend on the forum..

We are discussing, wondering, pondering what could happen, but in the end there is really no point... we can only wait and keep our finger crossed...

Good luck to everyone of us!!

Archived