Does this price sound right...is there anything I have missed?

Guest danyallface

Guest danyallface

Hi,

We are heading out next February and I am currently putting a budget together and one cost (and the biggest cost) to take in to account is our dogs. We have two young Staffordshire Bull Terriers and this price from Air Supply Shipping is the best we've had for both dogs.

Shipping - £2300 (Air Supply Shipping)

• Vet sealing at airport
  • Export certificate part B
  • Crates
  • Flights
  • Airline fees
  • Transit

We are only going to do the basics through a firm and do all of the following ourselves. Is there anything I have missed or hidden costs in any of this areas that I have not factored in?

AQIS - £300

• Import Permit (valid for one year)

Quarantine - £1540

• Quarantine entry
  • Vet inspection
  • All paperwork
  • Accommodation

Vets - ??

This vet bill is the only bit I haven't got a quote on yet. I know the boosters are going to be around £80 for both dogs but I have no idea what the blood tests, 2x parasite treatments or completion of Export Cert A is going to cost. What have other people been charged just so I can make sure my vet doesn't rip me off!

So minus the vet bills I am currently at £4100....inc the vet bills £???

Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest Ale59

Hi just started the whole process of migrating and

trying to get a rough idea of costs and renting compared

to buying , cost of living .ect.. Ect..

First qoute back regarding Harley and Miya our much loved

bull mastiffs 50kg + a few each is .. Wait for it ..

£3600.00 each , min

is there any cheeper than economy flights . Lol

I think we need more prices

Ale

Guest BeverleyR

Blimey, hadn't twigged that weight might be a factor - am I glad I've only got a little fella to fly over!

We were advised to try to get the whole thing done by the pet shipper, as there's not much in the cost and they know the right vets so may get things done quicker - but I don't know how valid that is - likewise it seems that if the shipper sorts out all the jabs and stuff, they do it at home and if the dog is a bit stressy by nature, this helps (although perhaps I'm a sucker for a line where my boy is concerned)

I don't know whether the advice we got is right or wrong but thought I'd share it.

Guest danyallface

I think most firms do it on dimensions rather than weight.

I think it is def worth looking at how much it would cost to do things yourself though.

As per my original post the firms I got quotes from are charging nearly double to complete the AQIS Import Permit saying it's "admin fees" and their vet bits and bobs seem to be a lot more pricey too. I don't think its a case of "who you know" to get things done quicker, I get the impression it's just a standard process with clear timescales that your vet shouldn't have any problem meeting.

The cheapest basic package per my original post is £2.3k but one firm wanted £5k for the same basic package.

Shipping - £2300 (Air Supply Shipping)

• Vet sealing at airport
  • Export certificate part B
  • Crates
  • Flights
  • Airline fees
  • Transit

It doesn't seem particulary difficult but then again I haven't actually started filling in the forms yet...haha!

Def shop around!

Guest Ale59

Make you right guys . Shop around I think the price will vary a lot ,

hope so . I am sure it will all be worth it in the end .

Anyone got news on cost of living .

The renting process , cost and bills ect

cheers for the feed back it's a great help.

It's difficult to get an average from the UK

where at the moment is 27/28o how long for ??

Thanks again

Ale

Guest danyallface

Got the vet bills back and i'm looking at £550-£600 for both dogs for all vacs, blood tests, parasite treatments and completion of Export Cert Part A.

So all in looking at £4650 - £4700.

Best get saving!

Guest brooksey

For our 7 stone German Shepherd it cost us approx 5000 quid all in. From paperwork to dog walkers in quaranteen. We went with an agent though.

Guest Stulou13

Hi there.

We arrived in Sydney on Friday 2nd July and our two days had arrived a couple of days before us. We did everything ourselves and would definitely recommend this as i think you can save a lot of money. I promise that it isn't as complicated as it first looks when you come to fill out the forms, especially the import permit. When we first looked we were really confused, but once you break it down it is pretty straight forward (though you need access to a printer and scanner)

We have a Beagle and a Bullmastiff, although the bullmastiff is small probably about the size of a lab and it has cost us just over £5000.

First of all get the import permit sorted, it is on the AQIS website and they have guidance notes to help you, i think it is valid for around 9 months. This cost around £500 and we had them back within 24hours. The only problem you may come across is that you will need an address and phone number in Australia when you fill out the form(i used my aunts address who lives in Sydney which was fine)

Then fill out the Export permit, this is free and you can get the phone number for them from your vets but make sure the vets are DEFRA approved, they really need to be clued up on all of this.

Phone around and get quotes for the dogs crates, the prices vary greatly and many include filling in import permits etc which is unnecessary as it is so simple yourself. We used Pet Exports UK LTD and they were great. They were always willing to answer any questions. They charged us £2800 for the two dogs. They built the crates and booked the flights with Virgin, they don't go on weight, it is just the dimensions of the dogs.

Then you need to book the dogs into the vets no more than 30 days before they fly for the blood tests/flea/tick treatment and kennel cough etc. You dont need to tell them what they need as the vet will have to be DERFA approved and will therefore know themselves. This cost us £330 in all.

They then had to go back two weeks later because they both tested positive for Lepto, which i believe is quite common - if you are going to your vets to get them vaccinated in the coming months tell them you are moving to Australia and they will leave out part of the vaccine - Lepto(which they cannot have over here in Oz) Luckily second time round they were ok, the blood levels showed that the levels of Lepto hadn't risen so they didn't have the virus, but this cost us another £70.

The final vet appointment cost us another £270. This was for the vet to check they were fit to fly and fill out the export certificate.

Then the quarantine station is going to cost us £1500.

Not for the faint hearted! Good luck with the move and bringing the dogs over

Louise

Guest Ale59

Hi guys sorry I didn't reply to your posts we have been away to sunny Gloucester.

Back now and cracking on with Visa stuff and DEFRA .

The replies were great and a big help , it looks like our 2 bullmastiffs will cost in the region of £14000 strewth !!

We still need to get accurate qoutes .

Ale

Guest crazyfox

thats awful expensive, I was quoted round £5k to bring 2 cats and two labradors, 29kg each!! dojng on my own now, vwts fees maximum £500 (with change) and traveling with Emirates minus vets and quarintine it gonna be around £2200, they charge on the size of crate rather than wieght. you can buy crates for around a hundred pounds from skypets or similar (wooden, wider but cheaper han plastic!!)

Emirates, ask them for SkyCargo, tell them your taking dogs and they should give you the number for the lady who deals with pets travel, if you go via Dubai, they have an agreement with oz in terms of transit times, they will be allowed out of kennels by vet and walked, feed and rested for a minimum of 6 hours,then resealed by vet into kennel before commencing final part of journey) I thought this was great, it also meant they had a break and a walk! I will try and find the number for you. x

Guest prettyinpink

I prepare export documentation for pet flying out of Aus, and it is dimensions it goes on.

The crate should be measureed by l x w x h in cms, times all dims together and divide by 6000. This will give you your chargeable weight. You can feasibly have a dog weighing 20 kilos, but with the crate, the chargeable weight can work out higher. All livestock travels for twice the price of normal cargo on airlines, so it is a pricey affair.

Good luck to all!

Guest Ale59

Thanks very much , the details would be a big help .

I was informed that the weight of the mastiffs is why the cost is high . 50-60kg each.

Any numbers or contacts would be cool .

Alan

Guest Ale59

Thanks very much , that's a great help. And will probally save me a small fortune .

Thanks again for the advise.

Ale x

I just got my first quote for moving our 2 dogs, a springer spaniel and labrador x springer. I nearly passed out when she gave me the quote - £8500!! This did include absolutely everything from collecting them in Devon, all the paperwork, quarantine, vets and flying them to Brisbane after quarantine but still, it does sound an awful lot of money. My other worry is how they will cope with the whole experience. It's obviously going to be very traumatic for them. I don't know about anyone else but I think that my animals are the biggest stress involved in emigrating!

Emma

Guest aussie06
I just got my first quote for moving our 2 dogs, a springer spaniel and labrador x springer. I nearly passed out when she gave me the quote - £8500!! This did include absolutely everything from collecting them in Devon, all the paperwork, quarantine, vets and flying them to Brisbane after quarantine but still, it does sound an awful lot of money. My other worry is how they will cope with the whole experience. It's obviously going to be very traumatic for them. I don't know about anyone else but I think that my animals are the biggest stress involved in emigrating!

Emma

same as for me that is our biggest stress...

To lower the stress of my dog (and part of mine too):

first I will try to make him used to the cage: So I ve just ordered the cage (5 months from departure) so that he could start sleeping in it and make a little bit more comfortable in it

second: I will try to make him used to journeys in the cage

Then I will put the cage in the rear boot for my car trips. For those who don'thave a car, a friend of mine did it in the tube, i.e. take the cage in the tube so that the animal is used to the sounds and the moves. Of course have it not turned face to you but to the wall, so that when it is finished he is used to see you (which will make him happy).

Have a nice day

Guest Ale59

We also find moving our two mastiffs is a major worry to us , but that's a cool idea about trials in the cage before hand sounds cool .

We was even thinking of shipping there , so to cause less trauma and stress !!

Spend the crossing with my dogs !!

Sounds cool. And expensive ...

Ale

Guest Jen and Rob

Emma

That seems really expensive. We've been quoted £1535 for our springer which includes everything you mention except that we are driving him to Heathrow ourselves (we thought this might take a little of the stress away for him). This is with Animal Airlines.

Using that as a guide, even if they gave you no discount for 2 dogs, they seem to be charging nearly £5500 for the journey from Devon to Heathrow and from the quarantine kennels to Brisbane! Think it'd definitely pay to shop around...

Guest danyallface
That seems really expensive. We've been quoted £1535 for our springer which includes everything you mention except that we are driving him to Heathrow ourselves (we thought this might take a little of the stress away for him). This is with Animal Airlines.

Using that as a guide, even if they gave you no discount for 2 dogs, they seem to be charging nearly £5500 for the journey from Devon to Heathrow and from the quarantine kennels to Brisbane! Think it'd definitely pay to shop around...

£8500 does sound far too much however £1535 sounds to cheap. Are you sure thats for everything (vacs, blood tests and parasite treatments, flights, Import and Export Permits, quarantine)?

I have a feeling that figure you have been quoted will prob just cover the flights (and poss one part of the DEFRA export cert).

Our two staffies are going to cost just short of £5k all in (flight £2300 of that).

Guest Jen and Rob
£8500 does sound far too much however £1535 sounds to cheap. Are you sure thats for everything (vacs, blood tests and parasite treatments, flights, Import and Export Permits, quarantine)?

I have a feeling that figure you have been quoted will prob just cover the flights (and poss one part of the DEFRA export cert).

Our two staffies are going to cost just short of £5k all in (flight £2300 of that).

Hmm, have checked and you're right - we pay for the import permit and the first blood tests/treatments, whilst they cover the "on the day" tests, completion of export permit, flights and collection by quarantine kennels. We also pay for quarantine - though I thought everyone had to pay that on top??

Guest danyallface
Hmm, have checked and you're right - we pay for the import permit and the first blood tests/treatments, whilst they cover the "on the day" tests, completion of export permit, flights and collection by quarantine kennels. We also pay for quarantine - though I thought everyone had to pay that on top??

Yep that's right, everyone does pay for quarantine on top. I just wanted to check you realised that as your reply to Emma2 said the figure you had been quoted covered everything (which her quote does appear to...well i'd bloomin expect it to for £8k!!!!).

Wouldn't want you to have a heart attack when you realised that you'd need to add a few extra thousand to that £1535 figure when you factor in vets, paperwork and quarantine costs.

Guest Jen and Rob

Wouldn't want you to have a heart attack when you realised that you'd need to add a few extra thousand to that £1535 figure when you factor in vets, paperwork and quarantine costs.

Hehehe, thanks :hug:

Guest danyallface

Emma2 - Yeah def shop around as even with quarantine that sounds a lot.

- Best quote we have had is from Airsupply Shipping AKA Passports for Pets - £2286

- Second best quote we have had was from Animal Airlines - £2487

This price is for both dogs and includes :

Airfreight, 2 x IATA Approved Kennel (complete with water bowls and funnels), Airline Handling, Fuel / War Surcharge, Airline AVI Check Fee, Vet Sealing

We found that it is cheaper to do vaccinations, blood tests, parasite treatments, import and export certificates independently. I'd advice also looking in to this as alot of the companies charge more, especially for filling in the forms...doing that ourselves is going to save us £500 alone!

Also another thing to look out for is that a number of companies (inc Airsupply Shipping) gave what appeared to be a good full package but then told me that they'd have to spend those 28days before departure when all vet work takes place in their kennels!! Clearly not up for that, a month in kennels in the UK, a 24hour flight, then another month in kennels in a strange country...they'd never forgive me!!!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BeverleyR

After the various posts i got a quote from the vets for the various blood tests and things they would have to do and they have come up with £300. We have had a quote for £1472 which includes freight charges, airline docs, sealing and uk vet fees at the airport, delivery to airport & pre shipment doggy b&b. Also includes obtaining import permit and DEFRA Health Certificate.

The quote opens with for exportation of Fergus to Melbourne with named airlline.

They have asked for cheque £160) for import cert at this stage for which we need to provide microchip number, contact address & phone no is Oz, Vaccincation card (original) and a vet medical form from the vet if there are any ongoing conditions.

Also for anyone planning a move over the new year period, it seems that there is a 2 week shutdown of the quarantine station over Xmas and that there is currently a 2-4 months waiting list depending on which one you use (not Sydney). You have to have the import permit in place before you can book accommodation and need about 8 weeks notice for final date confirmation

Hope some of this helps?!?

Archived