Can you buy Skoda cars in Oz yet?

wow

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Skoda have made it to Oz yet? My research showed that they were hoping to have showrooms open by now. Anyone any info please on cost of new Fabia in Oz if they are available, as I am debating whether or not to take my own from uk?

Guest chris955

I must admit I have never seen one over here, as long as there is an official importer which there obviously is then parts shouldn't be too much of a problem. I would assume they are being sold through VW dealers ? Hellish expensive here.

Guest proud2beaussie

There are 229 for sale on carsales Chris so I think that means an official import,and they are new cars.

But they are expensive as I said,like most imported cars here,due to import duty.

Personally I would love a new BMW but in Australia I can't justify it on my salary,in the UK I could easily

but I want to drive one here not there!:arghh:

Guest chris955

When importers are bringing in small numbers of cars they often wont import every model available as each one needs to be crash tested and make sure it meets all the standards here.

Looks like the Fabia is not yet available there. Every other Skoda except the Fabia!

We're a much smaller and less competitive market so everything is more expensive here, with import taxes and the Luxury Car Tax making things worse.

I spend a fair bit of time in San Francisco for work and it just kills me how the same car (say a Lexus IS or MB C class) can cost almost double over here in Oz. I've been eyeing the Lexus IS convertible which cost about $103k here all specced up (or closer to $94k depending on how good you are at bargaining and how desperate the dealer is to make up the month's sales quotas), and a mate has just bought it over in SF for a touch over $45k. :mad:

Guest trophy
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if Skoda have made it to Oz yet? My research showed that they were hoping to have showrooms open by now. Anyone any info please on cost of new Fabia in Oz if they are available, as I am debating whether or not to take my own from uk?

Skoda, like any European cars are classed as execuvive cars and servicing and parts cost will reflect this.

If you want to bring your car be aware that if it is under any kind of warranty, that warranty will be void in Aus.

They maybe subtle specification differences to a cars imoprted by the manafufacturer into Aus, ie suspension differences,gearbox and engine tune adapted for Aus conditions.

This could have an effect on parts you may require.

You will also require a KPH speedo having worked on VW and Audi, the speedo is not avalible as a seperate part, cost could exceed $2000.00.

The VIN number (chassis) may well not be recognised by the local Skoda parts software, and specific parts for your car may have to be imported for you at your cost.

Don't want to make it sound too gloomy bring the car if you cannot be parted from it, but if you can live with out it I suggest you leave it behind.

Guest proud2beaussie
You will also require a KPH speedo

Don't they have seperate dials on some European models trophy?,I know my GF had a Mercedes in the UK and it had both km/h and miles on the same dial.

Guest trophy

Some of the dials have dual readings, as the MPH is calibrated as the "master" reading then that may not be acceptable to Vic Roads, I know some of the trip meters and fuel consumption are calibrated for imp and metric but the speedo may be the sticking point.

Guest chris955

Most cars in the UK especially European made cars would more than likely have both on the dial. I just had a look and the Skoda has both.

Guest trophy
Most cars in the UK especially European made cars would more than likely have both on the dial. I just had a look and the Skoda has both.

Most European cars will have both but if the car is having a roadworthy test carried out by Vic roads to be registered for Aussie roads then KMS may have to be the primary speed indicator? I don't know for sure but i strongly suspect that it would be.Along with the potential for having to pay for parts to be imported then costs can get out of hand.

:unsure:

Archived