StepSons, natural Dads.

MikenSal

Can anyone give advice as regards migrating with my stepsons. My wife has 2 sons from previous relationships. Both have different fathers and I want to know our rights if their natural fathers decide to stand in our way. Our eldest (12 yrs)sons father has no parental rights though his name is on the birth certificate. Our youngest's (10yrs) father has gained parental rights over him and has his name on the birth certificate. My wife has custody of both boys. Can the boys natural dads stop us going, even when its to give their son's a better upringing and quality of life?

Can anyone give advice as regards migrating with my stepsons. My wife has 2 sons from previous relationships. Both have different fathers and I want to know our rights if their natural fathers decide to stand in our way. Our eldest (12 yrs)sons father has no parental rights though his name is on the birth certificate. Our youngest's (10yrs) father has gained parental rights over him and has his name on the birth certificate. My wife has custody of both boys. Can the boys natural dads stop us going, even when its to give their son's a better upringing and quality of life?

You will need signed permission from the children's fathers before you are allowed to move out of the country with them. The alternative is a trip to court to get permission to leave, their father can oppose this in court but if you can prove that you will be able to provide them with a stable life then you should be OK. My ex signed a letter and it was fine, but had he disagreed then I would not have had any problems as my son wanted to come and he was incapable of offering an alternative. It would have taken longer though and cost more money but people do deal with it that way. Go and see a solicitor and get them to draw up the letters and see how it goes, if either of them try to stop you then you will need to be prepared to go to court and argue your case for going.

Good luck and the only thing that I can say is try to avoid letting it become a situation where the kids suffer with the stress of it all or feel that they are having to choose one parent above another.

Good luck.

Nicky

• 2 weeks later...

:) Hi Nicky

Thanks for the advice. We're still in the very early stages at the moment so nothing has been said to either of the kids Dads. Fortunately, a friend works for a divorce solicitor so she's offered to take our situation in and get us some free advice from her boss. Very handy and kind(and it lets us know what to expect should the time come!!!!).

Thanks again for the reply and advice. It was much appreciated.

MikenSal

Archived