Not sure if people are aware of this...

Guest ehunt

Guest ehunt

Temporary Suspension of Certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) Applications

The Australian Government has decided to temporarily suspend the acceptance of certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa applications. This temporary measure began on 8 May 2010 and is expected to remain in effect until the end of 30 June 2010. The temporary suspension applies to primary (main) applicants for the following visa subclasses:

Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent • (Migrant) visa

Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored • (Migrant) visa

Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsore •

Guest Gollywobbler

Temporary Suspension of Certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) Applications

The Australian Government has decided to temporarily suspend the acceptance of certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa applications. This temporary measure began on 8 May 2010 and is expected to remain in effect until the end of 30 June 2010. The temporary suspension applies to primary (main) applicants for the following visa subclasses:

Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent • (Migrant) visa

Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored • (Migrant) visa

Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsore •

Hi there

There was a huge flurry on Poms in Oz on the day of the original announcement and for a few days afterwards.

I am pretty disgusted by DIAC's response, which I noticed today.

On 7th May, the FAQ produced by DIAC specifically said that people who wanted to submit visa applications should do so by midnight AEST that night.

DIAC themselves invented their on-line application system. DIAC exhort people to use it.

Lots of people tried to submit applications at the last minute. They discovered that the on-line application system had gone off-line sharp at 23:30 AEST. Migration Agents, in particular, were counting on that extra 30 minutes of time because they had already spent 6 or more hours frantically submitting visa applications on behalf of their clients. When they tried to submit the last few applications in the final 30 minutes, they found that the system had closed down 30 minutes earlier than they had been led - by DIAC - to believe.

It then transpired that the people in charge of visas had got DIAC's website people to post the FAQ at about 16:30 AEST. At some point, the people who look after the technical end of the on-line application system had arranged to publish a message of their own on the DIAC website, warning that the system would go off-line at 23:30, not at 00:00 as the FAQ had led people to believe.

DIAC have so far ignored my own question about what time the "Planned System Maintenance" message was published. Peter Speldewinde of DIAC is in charge of the FAQ. He was asked to explain why his FAQ said "midnight" when the on-line people said "23:30"????

Speldwinde's lame and feeble excuse is that everybody using the on-line system should have realised that it would be taken off-line half an hour before the time he claimed in his FAQ He says that since all the affected applicants and their agents are computer-geniuses, they should have been checking for the "Planned Systems Maintenance" message. He is using this pathetic story as his "reason" for refusing to entertain any of the applications that people tried to submit between 23:20 and 00:00 that night.

A new message has been published by Speldewinde today:

What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

DIAC's Chief Solicitor and her team had to get involved in digging Speldwinde out of his monumental blunder on 7th May. I suspect that he is now so goddamned scared about what will happen on the night of 30th June/1st July 2010 that he now says in big letters that anyone "wanting" to make an application on line should do so by no later than 18:00 AEST on that evening. I think it is pretty obvious that DIAC's Solicitor simply found a convenient "reason" to use for the purpose of digging him out of a hole, frankly.

Personally, I think the frightened little new message makes it abundantly clear to the world that Speldesinde's last effort was a complete cock-up.

I understand that the Commonwealth Ombudsman has been asked - by the affected visa applicants and their agents, not by DIAC - to investigate the whole thing and get to the bottom of it. DIAC can ignore my question about what time this "planned system message" was published but they will not be able to ignore the Ombudsman asking them the same question and a whole load of other questions besides.

Grrrrrr. :mad:

Gill

Guest ehunt

Thanks Jules. I just got the information yesterday on a newsletter. My partner and I are off to Brisbane in November this year. Its been a long hard slog (the time it took for the visa was easy in comparison to the rest of it) but hopefully worth the time, effort and money.

I wish you all the best

Em x

Thanks Jules. I just got the information yesterday on a newsletter. My partner and I are off to Brisbane in November this year. Its been a long hard slog (the time it took for the visa was easy in comparison to the rest of it) but hopefully worth the time, effort and money.

I wish you all the best

Em x

I know what you mean, we started the process in March 2008 and are now banking on O/H occupation being on the new SMP for Adelaide. We visited Brisbane in December last year, what an amazing place, we could not get over how clean it was. I am very jealous of you. LOL

Hope your move goes well and good luck.

Jules

Archived