Totally Green!! Which Visa??!!

MikenSal

Hi to everyone. My wife and I have just made the decision to try for a visa. I've done the points/eligibility test on one of the agency sites and its coming up with a score of 135 over 120 for a Skilled Independent Visa, so we feel encouraged by the result. The thing is, I'm now confused as to which visa to go for. Other than waiting a year or so and getting a few more pounds together to help us on our way, I've read that there's a govt sponsored visa. Is this the same as the skill match list? As I don't like the idea of that. I looked at the list of people with the same trade as me and there were a few on the list that had been on there for nearly the full 2 years.

Guest Alison1967

Hi MikenSal

I can't really help you here, as we decided to do a straight 136 Skilled (MODL) Independent Visa as I am a registered nurse. We decided on this because we didn't want to be tied to a employer or state for several years.

We are hoping to move to Adelaide this summer, where are you hoping to go? Have you been out there ?

What area in North Wales are you, my hubby Keith was born in Mancot and lived in Shotton until we married.

Good luck with your choice. Check all the aussie websites out and your sure to get lots of good advice and encouragement.

Alison

• 2 weeks later...

:) Hi Alison.

Thanks for the reply.

We both fancy Perth, just seems to have a pull for us but all the vacancies for my line of work(spraying) seems to be round Melbourne and Adelaide. We've not been out there yet although it's something at least one of us could do with doing before we decide on a destination.

Being realistic, financially its probably a couple of years down the line, although if there was a way of getting sponsored, I'd jump at it.

It looks like we've just got to pull our belts in and go for a Skilled Independent Visa.

Its a small world, I was born in Mancot myself!!! Grew up in Upton, Chester and have lived Dobshill for about 6 years. A bit too sleepy, but handy for work(AIRBUS).

Are you still in GB or are you already out in OZ?

Thanks again for the reply

MikenSal

Guest Alison1967

Hi MikenSal

You should definitely go and visit, we did last year and were based in Adelaide but visited Melbourne and Sydney. We totally fell for Adelaide.

A lot of people I worked with went to Perth that masses seem to be going to. Adelaide housing prices are a lot more affordable too.

Will you be using an agent, you can save money by doing it yourself (£2500-£3000) and its not that hard to do it yourself. Is your job modl though.

I grew up in Ellesmere Port myself! well someone had to ha!

We are still here, redecorating the house for its sale and hoping for our visa soon, hope to be there this summer.

Keep in touch.

Alison & Keith

Hi Alison and Keith

I'm sure we'll get out there at some point. Somewhere in between tidying the house and garden (for valuation), working all the O/T god sends and keeping the kids happy!

Prices in perth do seem a bit TOO pricey. I think its that its got the Mediteranean climate that appeals. Brisbane is supposed to be nice. A work colleague has family in Melbourne and visited Brisbane while over on hols. Said it was a lovely place.

The thing is, its all going to be lovely and beautiful, ITS SUNNY!!!

I think its going to be dictated by where my jobs in demand and the houses cheap.

My job is classed as Vehicle Painter on the SOL

I visited the WA migration site and it breaks it down into areas of the state and what their skills shortages are, my trade appeared in about 70% of the areas. What is the MODL, is it the same as the SOL, or are they skills which are more in demand? I've heard of it but the only skills list I've come across is the SOL.

Thought about using an agent, there seems to be SO much paper work, and the slightest slip up can cost you months. I don't know that I'd trust myself to get everything in order. That said, we're not exactly rolling in it so a cuople of grand is a lot of money.

I take it you did it all yourself?

I lived in EP for 2 yrs!! 6 Loxdale drive. The pooltown rd end. Going back about 10 yrs. You may have seen a bright yellow Vespa buzzing about. hehe.

Take it easy.

MikenSal

Guest Alison1967

Hi Mike&Sal

There is a lot of paperwork to do, I just went through the forms and did a checklist of everything i needed to include in each form. Some of the forms need the same information so it's best to get lots of copies so when you go to a solicitor you get him to certify several copies saving you visits.

MODL is the occupations in demand list, MODL takes 4-5 months to assess and @ another two months to finalise.

I had to include all the information I provided for my skills assessment with the main application.

I would seriously encourage you to do your own application and if you have any questions just ask on here or i'll PM you my email address.

My friend whose over in Aus said they prefer you to do your own application anyway.

Gab to you again

Ali & Keith

Archived