Going home so soon?

sally04

I am interested to know why people who often spend a considerable amount of money, do their research and wait for ages to get their visa's decide to return home after a matter of weeks / months?

Please don't read this as a criticism - It is not intended to spark defensive responses from homesick brits! I am genuinely interested and feel it may help others who are yet to come out here make a decision...

Myself and OH came to Oz in Oct 07, we now have a daughter and the pull for us to go home is almost unbearable (for me) most of the time! However, we are planning to stick it out to get our citizenship in 2011 although we know it'll be tough. Many times over the past few years we have felt really homesick but have always had at the back of our minds that there was a reason we came her in the first place and to give it a go. :cool:

S.

Guest chris955

I think with some people it is obvious almost from day 1 that this isn't for them, no amount of research prepares you for it. I grew up here and I realise it isn't for me, it can be an enormous culture shock depending on where you came from. I, like many others, miss so much about the UK that it can become overpowering. Those who fit straight in and can forget their previous lives are very fortunate.

Guest proud2beaussie

Since when do people who love it here "forget their previous lives"? I have many friends who have migrated here and who love it and are happy living here,they are Australian citizens now,they still return to the country where they were born for holidays but they now consider Australia home,they haven't "forgotten" their previous lives at all,it's just that they have new lives here.

Guest guest36187
Those who fit straight in and can forget their previous lives are very fortunate.

What a thing to say! Who moves here and FORGETS their life before? I really dont know where you get your ideas from sometimes Boa.

Its not an old life and a new life - Its a progression!

Guest Aldo
Since when do people who love it here "forget their previous lives"? I have many friends who have migrated here and who love it and are happy living here,they are Australian citizens now,they still return to the country where they were born for holidays but they now consider Australia home,they haven't "forgotten" their previous lives at all,it's just that they have new lives here.

so much anger....:wubclub:

Guest cazbeckham

Hi

I agree with chris055. I used to read these threads and sometimes had to bite my tongue thinking, why don;t these people try another state, I mean Australia is big enough. But obviously a lot depends on family and friends they left behind and another big issue is work.

It's easy for me who has had the opportunity to live here for the past 19 months and not regret a single day or felt homesick.

Maybe it's because both me and OH have no parents alive in uk and we left a Son and his Fiance in UK who we hope will come out again for another holiday (think life here is too laid back for him, well at the moment it is) So it is easier for us and for some people and I beleive we have been very fortunate. WE found, purchased and moved into a house within 4 weeks of arriving, in a beautiful place in Buderim on the Sunshine Coast. We are both retired so I suppose that also helps.

I have more family here in Australia than I had in UK (only a couple of aunts/uncles/cousins in UK and OH has two younger sisters both of whom have said they will not come out even to visit)

So life has been good for us and never again will I sit and think about these poor people who end up going home and think that they should try another place in Oz to live because it may not be possible.

So for those who are staying WELCOME and for those who have to go home GOOD LUCK in whatever you do.

Caz

Guest Aldo
What a thing to say! Who moves here and FORGETS their life before? I really dont know where you get your ideas from sometimes Boa.

He's just saying (as i interpret it) that if you can concentrate on your new life and put to the back of your mind you will have more chance of fitting in in Aus'. I've heard similar things, "you can't compare apple to oranges" touted around by the "sun 'n' surf" gang and its fine.

Guest cazbeckham

BTW I have and never will forget my life in the UK it's just that I have progressed with my life and and now her and love it.

Guest guest36187
BTW I have and never will forget my life in the UK it's just that I have progressed with my life and and now her and love it.

Thats what I said mum!:wubclub:

Guest guest30038
IThose who fit straight in and can forget their previous lives are very fortunate.

I don't know anyone who does? :goofy: How can they, if they have friends and rellies back there, which I assume most must have, unless they are hermits or lepers?

I have 3 sons and 6 grandchildren back there and there isn't hardly a day goes by that I don't think of them and feel a pull to go back..........the landscape has a greater pull though as I know my family are spread all over the UK and I'd rarely see them anyway.

kev

Guest Aldo
Not angry at all Aldo,just expressing my opinion.

Seems to me that poor ol' chris is being bullied slightly and his posts are being dissected unnecessarily. I don't agree with a lot of his posts but he has a right to state his opinion without being jumped on.

Maybe mods should be neutral (just my opinion)

Guest guest36187

Mods are entitled to an opinion too.

Edited to add: Noone is dissecting posts, Nigel and I are passing our opinions on what was said.

Guest proud2beaussie

Aldo I find your post offensive in the extreme,I am entitled to express my opinion on any thread I choose without being judged by you,my post was within the rules,it was not racist,vulgar or personal ,I simply

expressed a view that just because many people love living in Australia and have settled well that does not mean they forget their previous lives.

You have presumably settled pretty well in Spain,have you forgotten your life in the UK?,I would doubt it,so why does it follow that someone who settles quickly in Australia would forget their previous lives?.

That is the only point I was making.

Guest guest30038
I am interested to know why people who often spend a considerable amount of money, do their research and wait for ages to get their visa's decide to return home after a matter of weeks / months?

We had a new immigrant family visit us in their 2nd week here, and I invited a couple of other PIO members round for dinner to help welcome them. We all knew within the hour that they would return to the UK, just by the way that they spoke of what had been left behind.

We got another visit when they'd made their mind up to return after less than 3 months and I told them that frankly, that we knew that would be the case and that we were happy for them 'cause we could see that coming from a small village in the Uk with a network of family and friends whom they were already desperately missing in their first week here, that this wasn't the place for them, even though they had friends here also.

We (and they) couldn't get to the bottom of why they came in the first place and the one member of the family who instigated the migration was the one person who instigated the move back. She said that she knew the moment the plane landed, that she'd done the wrong thing.

Who's to say or know just what motivates others to do what they do?

I'm just happy that they're back where they belong.........they were nice people.

kev

Guest Aldo
Aldo I find your post offensive in the extreme,I am entitled to express my opinion on any thread I choose without being judged by you,my post was within the rules,it was not racist,vulgar or personal ,I simply

expressed a view that just because many people love living in Australia and have settled well that does not mean they forget their previous lives.

You have presumably settled pretty well in Spain,have you forgotten your life in the UK?,I would doubt it,so why does it follow that someone who settles quickly in Australia would forget their previous lives?.

That is the only point I was making.

why do you find it "offensive in the extreme"? It wasn't the intent i assure you.:wubclub:

Guest proud2beaussie

I am offended by your use of the term "bullied"I did not "bully" chris at all,as I have said I simply expressed a viewpoint that is contrary to his,I don't think that people who are happy in Australia have necessarily forgotten about their previous lives,they simply have new lives which occupy them,that is the point I was making and it was not bullying in any way,shape or form,however if Chris feels that it was then it is open to him to raise the issue with Rob who will judge my post on it's merits,it is not appropriate however for you to accuse me of that conduct simply because I may have expressed a view that you disagree with.

I think that when I did it the first time I was not ready to let go, this surprised me as I was so disenchanted with the uK and how society was developing with much more intrusive govt policies. When I got there I still had children still in the UK and missed them dreadfully, a house too, plus more to the point I did not expect to miss my culture, country's values or even the sense of humour- I had planned for everything but letting go and preparing to live at a distance. I compared everything from the start and decided that the UK came out tops. I had nothing to go on previously as I had never lived abroad I don't think I appreciated how much you had to work at it - some things actually came easy for me such as work etc for both me and my partner but it was the rest I wasn't so keen on and it boiled down to Xmas day - I could not enjoy this even though friends were so warm and welcoming simply because I wanted my family. My OH thought I was completely mad. Since back all the things that disenchanted me in the UK are still apparent, we now have a government which is prepared to make us all pay for the banks mistakes and I notice more about the UK than I did before eg the put downs disguised as humour etc. I love the cheap clothes and the choice and the access to culture, the Arts and the beautiful countryside. I am more philosophical, nowhere is perfect and I guess you build your own dream and perfect life as best you can

So if I ever get to go back (SMP/SOL permitting) I will with a different attitude and take my family too -I will plan visits back to the UK as a matter of course, I am British and of celtic heritage and very proud of it and will embrace Australian culture in a very different way and I will never say never to returning.

Guest chris955

Yes thank you Aldo, it seemed obvious to me, I'm not sure why all the defensiveness to be honest.

He's just saying (as i interpret it) that if you can concentrate on your new life and put to the back of your mind you will have more chance of fitting in in Aus'. I've heard similar things, "you can't compare apple to oranges" touted around by the "sun 'n' surf" gang and its fine.

Guest proud2beaussie

Chris the way you posted the comment you seemed to be suggesting that if you had settled here that you had forgotten about your past lives,I think it is natural to assume that is what you meant when you posted the comment by saying

Those who fit straight in and can forget their previous lives are very fortunate.
,I am simply saying that there is no need to forget previous lives to settle here and just because people have settled that doesn't mean they have given up their previous lives.

Guest chris955

It's all down to interpretation I guess. Some seem to dissect posts more than others and perhaps read between the lines.

Guest guest36187

Noone has dissected your post. The way that it is worded suggests that those of us here `who love Australia have forgot our old life and wiped the slate clean!

Forums and emails etc can be perceived in millions of ways. Nigel and I perceived it the same way, others may not have done.

It was our OPINION! Your opinion was respected and we stated ours

The opening post requested peoples opinions on a certain area, she did not ask for people to start slagging off each others posts, why has this happened, just stick to the opening posts question - simple.

Archived