Working in Coles/Safeway/IGA wages?

ozzbound

Working at Coles as a casual I get $21.7 an hour. Casuals get a 20% loading over permanent employees so you can work out what they get (about $18 an hour). Of course they get some sick pay and holiday pay, but not sure how much. Note that both get super of 6% or so on top of this.

This is an award payment, ie an agreement for Coles. You can find these online on the sda union website

SDA National Office - awards

Other retail agreements can be found here, but they are probably similar.

The awards give full pay for over 21's. Other ages get a reduced amount. Get time and half on Sunday and double time bank hols.

Of course casual rate is better as there is little job security. After Xmas casuals were told they could only work 4 hour shifts, however my department (fresh produce) have not been caught by this. Some other guys in other depts have said their hours have been dropped to 20 a week (some of these are family men with kids). If permanent the number of hours (and usually shifts) might be guaranteed, however you might be part time permanent.

I think the pay is pretty good for casuals and I usually get 25-30 hours or so a week. My boss is really good though. But he is asking casuals about going permanent. He gets a percentage of sales that he can pay in wages. There have been mutterings about how many casuals in his dept are working 30-40 hours and why they are not permanent (lower wage bill I guess). He has suggested I do a couple of days permanent and any extra shifts as casual (wierd huh!).

Anyway for me I am hoping I have landed myself an IT job after trying for 18 months.

I need a career change (see other thread) and was wondering how much a 38 year old would get an hour???

Any other ideas?:frown:

Safeway permanent get about $18.00 dollars an hour, plus you get a staff discount card, holidays, supa etc.

Safeway permanent get about $18.00 dollars an hour, plus you get a staff discount card, holidays, supa etc.

Yes, forgot the discount card 5% off as casuals get it as well. Can use it in some other Coles group stores such as Kmart, Officeworks, Target, Bi-Lo etc (keep forgetting to use it here). If you work for safeways you probably get the Woolies group including Big W, Dick Smith etc

At Christmas we got 10% off for the week before which was a nice bonus.

They say Coles and woolies have a monopoly on supermarkets, but it's not so obvious they probably own most of the other big stores between them as well

Archived