Citizenship Query???

Guest destinationoz

Guest destinationoz

Does anyone know ...

1) How soon after being in Oz for 4 years can you apply for citizenship - is it straight away?

2) Once applied and done the test, produced papers etc - how long does it take to get the actual citizenship??

thanks lots!

Hi

If you became a permanent resident before 1 July 2007, and apply on or before 30 June 2010, you must:

* have been living in Australia for two years as a permanent resident in the five years immediately before applying, including one year in the two years immediately before applying.

If you became a permanent resident on or after 1 July 2007 you must:

* have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying, including one year as a permanent resident, and

* not have been absent from Australia for more than one year, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

After applying and taking the test, we got a letter 2 weeks later confirming that our application for citizenship was successful. Then we had to ring the local council to arrange a date for the citizenship ceremony - which was about 2 months later (will differ from council to council / time of year etc)

A quickie , does validation before july 07 count as the start date, for want of a better phrase ,then you move permanently say feb 08 ,so qualify for the 2 years ,not us but a d.o.p

On the citizenship website it says

"When does permanent residence start?

If you were granted a migrant visa offshore your permanent residence date is the date of your first arrival in Australia on this visa."

I guess to be doubly certain, they'd be better off ringing the Department, but from what it says on the website, it sounds like from the date of validation.

On the citizenship website it says

"When does permanent residence start?

If you were granted a migrant visa offshore your permanent residence date is the date of your first arrival in Australia on this visa."

I guess to be doubly certain, they'd be better off ringing the Department, but from what it says on the website, it sounds like from the date of validation.

OK mate , mate said there mate had just got citizenship been here 2 years blah blah , i assumed that they must have validated their visa prior to july 07

Guest destinationoz

Does anyone know ...

1) How soon after being in Oz for 4 years can you apply for citizenship - is it straight away?

2) Once applied and done the test, produced papers etc - how long does it take to get the actual citizenship??

thanks lots!

Thanks for earlier replies - I know I have to live here 4 years before applying for citizenship BUT was particularly interested to know once I've applied and done the test, produced papers etc - how long does it take to get the actual citizenship??

Any more experience from anyone? Cheers!!

Guest Diane T

Hi,

What if you where on a student visa for 2 years, then 457 for another 2 years then you get PR. Does the student visa go towards time accumulated for citizenship???

Hi,

What if you where on a student visa for 2 years, then 457 for another 2 years then you get PR. Does the student visa go towards time accumulated for citizenship???

As far as I understand it, that would satisfy the requirement for "have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying" although you'd still need to satisfy the "..including one year as a permanent resident" before applying for citizenship.

Guest Diane T

Thanks Cerberus1...I thought that too! I will be putting in my application for PR in September, so hopefully (all being well) a year after I receive that I will be able to apply for citizenship!

Hi, we did our test in Feb 09 and submitted on the same day. We got accepted the same month, however, you don't become a citizen until you've actually done your citizenship ceremony. We chose our home city suburb and had to wait until June for ceremony date (our suburb does them once per month). We were told we could wait anything upto 6 months for a date.... some suburbs will be quicker and others do large ceremonies on Australia day for example. Once you've done your ceremony and got your certificate you can then apply for your passport

Archived