Decision made

Guest Woodmill

Guest Woodmill

We're heading back to the UK.

The TRA and Immigration changes made for international students have just pushed us over and I don't have anything more to give. We need to go back as if we stick it out we still have no guarantees and will probably end up in debt. Going back now means we still have money in our pocket.

So now the planning. Just when I said I'd never do it again, I've got to sort shipping, flights, selling car, selling motorbike and having a garage sale (do they do car boot sales in Perth?).

Our lease on this rental expires in August so we hope to head back shortly thereafter.

Then the tricky one of finding jobs back in Scotland.

Part of me is delighted but the other part is gutted, especially for my husband who loves it here. I just don't and once the novelty wore off and real life started, I wanted to go back - and that is from me who has travelled endlessly and spent so many holidays here!

I never thought the pull of what family I have left and my friends would be so strong. I also have found it incredibly hard to build friendships here. I find people are very friendly but in the sense of shopping or being out for dinner but not allowing you in as a real friend.

Guest SophieKin

Good luck with your move back. It is a big thing to do, but once the decision is made I am sure you feel a lot better.

I hope you manage to find jobs easily, others on this site seem to think it hasnt been has hard as expected and the UK is improving. The job situation is what is holding me back from going home at the moment. I just worry that we wont find work , however I think I just need the courage to make the decision once and for all with my OH.

Best of luck, hope everything works out

Sophie

Guest moonsurfer

I also have found it incredibly hard to build friendships here. I find people are very friendly but in the sense of shopping or being out for dinner but not allowing you in as a real friend.

Yeah. Know what you mean.

Have started to think it is the British accent thing. Maybe if you don't have the Australian accent you're immediately marked out as an outsider and the shutters fly up from that point on. A subconscious 'difference' thing.

Wishing you all the best back in the UK and with the job situation. Scotland is a beautiful and friendly place.

Guest Caitmelbourne

That must feel like a massive weight off your mind...& congratulations on making a decision, it is so so hard. You will settle back no problem, and you will have the support of those who love you. What can be better than that? :cute:

Guest MSTO

Good luck with your move...I agree once the decision has been made it is a massive weight off your shoulders.

We are going back in 5 weeks, my husband has just got a job to return to. He had to fly back for the interview but it was worth it. I too have a few positives on the job front although my main priority once we return is getting our children settled but at least we will have one wage.

From our experience it is not as bad as the doom and gloom people portray.

Guest MSTO
Good luck with your move back. It is a big thing to do, but once the decision is made I am sure you feel a lot better.

I hope you manage to find jobs easily, others on this site seem to think it hasnt been has hard as expected and the UK is improving. The job situation is what is holding me back from going home at the moment. I just worry that we wont find work , however I think I just need the courage to make the decision once and for all with my OH.

Best of luck, hope everything works out

Sophie

Hi Sophie

Where are you returning too and what is it you do for work. I have looked half heartly for a job for myself and it seems quite positive for me. Fortunately my husband has a job so we will get by until I find something.

Guest SophieKin
Hi Sophie

Where are you returning too and what is it you do for work. I have looked half heartly for a job for myself and it seems quite positive for me. Fortunately my husband has a job so we will get by until I find something.

Hi,

Would be looking to return to the North West and for jobs in IT. I havent looked too much recently (mainly for fear of not finding anything) but my OH tells me there isn't much in the NW.

I am trying to hold out here another year in the hope that the UK improves and the job prospects are better.

Guest MSTO
Hi,

Would be looking to return to the North West and for jobs in IT. I havent looked too much recently (mainly for fear of not finding anything) but my OH tells me there isn't much in the NW.

I am trying to hold out here another year in the hope that the UK improves and the job prospects are better.

We are returning to the NW too, although not into IT, I wouldnt have a clue about that.

Have you looked on Monster for jobs. Are you ok to hold out another year...although once you make that decision to go back the year seems to fly by. I cannot believe a year has nearly gone since we made the decision.

Does you OH want to stay here? Where are you in Australia?

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread

Guest Woodmill

Don't worry about it! I am actually enjoying reading peoples return stories. For the first time in around 2 weeks I actually slept properly last night as the relief has been so great.

My husband is another story though. I just hope he's ok.

I've got my little boy to settle too but we still have saving left so if we are out of work for a couple of months we should be ok,

Just wanted to wish you all good luck in your moves back to uk, its back home to the NW for us too after only six months here, unfortunately since we arrived here things have not quite gone as we hoped. People generally seem to be positive once the decision has been made to return but i feel really deflated, suppose its all down to the individual's reasons and circumstances. Keep telling myself onwards and upwards ....but the reality of re-packing, shipping, sorting out finances/tax return, schools and selling our unwanted items is pulling me down. Hopefully once things get sorted my mood will lift and i will smile again. x jo

Guest SophieKin
We are returning to the NW too, although not into IT, I wouldnt have a clue about that.

Have you looked on Monster for jobs. Are you ok to hold out another year...although once you make that decision to go back the year seems to fly by. I cannot believe a year has nearly gone since we made the decision.

Does you OH want to stay here? Where are you in Australia?

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread

We are in South Australia. It does seem sensible for us to wait another for one thing and another but I do dread the next few months and I hate xmas here. A year doesnt seem too bad. I think my OH would like to hold out for citizenship, however we were shocked to find out it is now 4 years and that is way too long!!

Guest SophieKin
Just wanted to wish you all good luck in your moves back to uk, its back home to the NW for us too after only six months here, unfortunately since we arrived here things have not quite gone as we hoped. People generally seem to be positive once the decision has been made to return but i feel really deflated, suppose its all down to the individual's reasons and circumstances. Keep telling myself onwards and upwards ....but the reality of re-packing, shipping, sorting out finances/tax return, schools and selling our unwanted items is pulling me down. Hopefully once things get sorted my mood will lift and i will smile again. x jo

Hi Jo,

I am sure once everything is sorted you will feel better. I can imagine that there isn't the same excitement arranging to move back as there is when you come out, despite how much you may want to return. It was the arranging of things coming out here that stopped me thinking about the move seriously and before I knew it I was here!

I hope everything works out for you and I am sure you will feel more positive soon x

Good luck on the next step of your big life adventure! I am sure that you will feel much better having made the decision to head off - it will be hard for your DH if he likes it here though and he is going to have to be the bigger man and not niggle any resentments at you if things dont go smoothly from time to time.

All the best!

Guest lifeinmono
We're heading back to the UK.

The TRA and Immigration changes made for international students have just pushed us over and I don't have anything more to give. We need to go back as if we stick it out we still have no guarantees and will probably end up in debt. Going back now means we still have money in our pocket.

So now the planning. Just when I said I'd never do it again, I've got to sort shipping, flights, selling car, selling motorbike and having a garage sale (do they do car boot sales in Perth?).

Our lease on this rental expires in August so we hope to head back shortly thereafter.

Then the tricky one of finding jobs back in Scotland.

Part of me is delighted but the other part is gutted, especially for my husband who loves it here. I just don't and once the novelty wore off and real life started, I wanted to go back - and that is from me who has travelled endlessly and spent so many holidays here!

I never thought the pull of what family I have left and my friends would be so strong. I also have found it incredibly hard to build friendships here. I find people are very friendly but in the sense of shopping or being out for dinner but not allowing you in as a real friend.

It's amazing how many people report this - that Aussies are only friendly in a superficial way rather than in a genuine, nice, warm way.

Wonder why that is.

Guest MSTO
Don't worry about it! I am actually enjoying reading peoples return stories. For the first time in around 2 weeks I actually slept properly last night as the relief has been so great.

My husband is another story though. I just hope he's ok.

I've got my little boy to settle too but we still have saving left so if we are out of work for a couple of months we should be ok,

Yeah we have savings too so we will use that. We will be arriving at the start of the summer holidays so will spend my time once we get a rental looking at childcare and nurseries for my 2 boys...although I really do not have a clue how it all works over there!!

I am sure I will soon find out though....good luck, I know what you mean about sleepless nights....I have had a few of them too.:biggrin:

Guest MSTO
We are in South Australia. It does seem sensible for us to wait another for one thing and another but I do dread the next few months and I hate xmas here. A year doesnt seem too bad. I think my OH would like to hold out for citizenship, however we were shocked to find out it is now 4 years and that is way too long!!

We are in SA too. I know what you mean about Christmas, I think we have kind of got used to it after 5 years...but I know this one being back in the UK will be a good one. I have always thought it is alot more magical in the UK but we made the most of it here for our boys.

4 years is too long to stay if your unhappy. Can you not keep applying for RRV I think I read somwhere that someone used to just apply for there RRV every 5 years in the UK without having to give them a substanial reason..cannot remember where I read it though so do not know how true it is.

Guest MSTO

Hi Jo

I know what you mean about the whole moving back thing...I have always said it seems so much harder moving back to the UK then it was to come here. I really do not know why maybe because you remember how hard it was coming and then to do it all again. I know when we left the UK it was easier sold our house, sold cars, lived with parents, used their cars and now we dont have this....plus having 2 children out here, we have so much more stuff to move back. Believe me though it all comes together in end.

Good luck Jo...hope you are smiling sometime soon:biggrin:

Guest rayman1

Be optimistic about the return. We moved back and had work within 4 weeks. I dont think it is as gloomy as the newspapers keep reporting. It is lovely to be back where you belong and I cant wait for christmas which was rubbish in Australia!!!

Guest MARTINI

Just remember its who you live with not where you live that's important in life. You can always replace a place to live but its much harder to replace a OH that you love.

Sure your OH is disappointed and I can understand why.

I bet he would be more disappointed if he lost you.

It show how much he cares for you that he is willing to make this sacrifice.

All the best

Guest SophieKin
We are in SA too. I know what you mean about Christmas, I think we have kind of got used to it after 5 years...but I know this one being back in the UK will be a good one. I have always thought it is alot more magical in the UK but we made the most of it here for our boys.

4 years is too long to stay if your unhappy. Can you not keep applying for RRV I think I read somwhere that someone used to just apply for there RRV every 5 years in the UK without having to give them a substanial reason..cannot remember where I read it though so do not know how true it is.

I think I will look into RRV, I cant stay for 4 years, so that may be a good option. Good luck with your return, I am sure you will be really happy.

• 1 month later...
Guest kimmie

Yes what is that? I have no lived in two different states and although Queensland seems to be alot friendlier than South Australia previously, I cannot seem to engage in any 'real' friendships?

Archived