Additional NI contributions

sgperry

hi there,

it took me ages to track down the UK Govt's information about paying additional NI contributions from abroad. (This may be something of interest to people who wish to do so in order to protect their state pension.)

So I am posting the link here in case anyone else needs it.

HM Revenue & Customs: National Insurance Contributions, Retirement Pension Forecasts and advice for those abroad

Scroll half way down to the section called "Voluntary National Insurance contributions and how to pay from abroad" and there are links to detailed info.

haven't read it all myself yet ... yawn ... but am interested in whether others think its a good idea to make additional payments or not.

cheers sg

Possibly depends on your age and circumstances. I paid in about 2000.00 pds over 3 years to top up my contributions. a couple of years before I was due my state pension. Worked out that as long as I lived for 2 years after it started I would be in credit, as the extra I had received would be more that amount. Glad to say I'm still here 5 years later!!!! so definitely worth it in my case. If you are female and have children you also used to get dispensation for child rearing years, I think I had 17 years credited to me. not sure if the rules have changed.

Thanks for reminding me to do this!

I am still trying to work out how I go about making sure I qualify for the reduced rate of contributions...

My current thinking is that it is probably worthwhile for me. But that is purely a hunch, rather than an actuarial prediction.

Cheers.

Guest thebeatties

thanks for reminding me, i was wondering what to do about the state pension

Thanks again

• 1 year later...

Ramot, sounds like you are claiming your state pension so you may be able to answer my question. If you are still in Aus at retirement age and start to claim this pension are the payments fixed at the amount of your first payment indefinitely or do they increase year on year? I'm trying to determine whether it makes sense for me to keep making voluntary contributions.

Archived