Should we apply for State Spon or wait until after new SOL

HarryOb1

Hi all,

we should have my skills assessment from ACS in acouple of weeks.

Should we apply for SS once the ACS bit is complete or should we wait until the new SOL comes out?

What happens if my occupation is took off the new SOL and we have already applied for SS? Seeing as they have suspended applications for the 176, would it mean that the application for SS is null and viod as we can't apply for 176 because it's no longer on the SOL?

Thanks,

Harry.

Guest VickyMel

Hi Harry

Most of the states seem to have suspended giving out SS at the moment (probably until DIAC start taking apps again) - maybe check the one you are interested in as you may find the decision has already been made for you.

I think the states are allowed occupations not on the SOL (but who knows what will happen) - but maybe check you still get the points you need - so long ago I don't remember properly but I think we needed the points we got from the occupation being on the SOL (but I could be wrong as I say it was a while back now).

The new SOL maybe out before the states accept applications again?

Its all a bit hit and miss at the moment... I hope it all works for you

VickyMel

Thanks VickyMel for the info.

It's all a bit pear shaped alright.

I was going to be applying to ACT, i've just checked their wesite and it's allowing me to proceed with making an application. Doesn't really matter, i won't have the ACS bit for a couple of weeks.

I was just wondering and looking for advise if it would be a waste of time and money applying now-ish for SS or better to just wait until the new SOL arrives.

Thanks for the response,

Harry.

Guest VickyMel

Always worth getting everything together ready for the next stage.

I think I saw that ACT & NT had not announced anything yet.

ACT always seem pretty clued up and on top of things and maybe NT don't get too many applications - maybe they can both keep running??

Its always a hard decisision - spend the money and loose it if it all goes wrong? But sometimes it is worth the risk - I don't know how much ACT charge - but people seem to think that if possible they are going to try and include all their occupations on their SMP...

Maybe email them and ask if they are goingto continue processing for now?

VickyMel

I don't think you can apply for SS unless you have a skill assessment. As you are saying, you are expecting your skill assessment in couple of weeks time, and I believe by the time you will receive your skill assessment, SOL would be out as well. So no need to worry about it at the moment, just chill out.

BTW whats your occupation?

Thanks for the advice,

i still do have to wait until the ACS skill assessment comes back, but just trying to think ahead and be some bit prepared.

I'm hopefully going as 'Applications & Analyst Programmer' that's if ACS agree with me :biggrin:

Thanks again,

Harry.

Thanks for the advice,

i still do have to wait until the ACS skill assessment comes back, but just trying to think ahead and be some bit prepared.

I'm hopefully going as 'Applications & Analyst Programmer' that's if ACS agree with me :biggrin:

Thanks again,

Harry.

Hi HarryOb1

We have applied to ACT for SS on 22 March as Applications & Analyst Programmer. On 1 April this occupation was moved to the Quota list from Baseline.

I contacted ACT this week to find out where we were up to with processing as 7 weeks have passed and their processing doc advised 30 working days.

This is the response I got:

As your partner’s nominated occupation is a Computer Professional, before processing commences with the application, it has been referred to an ICT industry panel to assessment employability opportunities in the ACT with regard to skills. Processing will commence as soon as we hear back from the panel, which should be early June 2010.

So, if this is right it will be more like 10 weeks before they even start to process as all QUOTA IT occupations now have to go to this panel to assess employability opportunities.

It is annoying this has happened because when we applied (22 March) we were on the baseline, but they have treated our app as Quota. But only a few more weeks to wait. We are just hoping now that it is approved.

The guideline doc is below:

http://www.business.act.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/129008/176_Visa_Sponsorship_Guidelines_April_2010.pdf

Regards

Claire

Hi Claireg,

Thanks for the info..... I was actually following the thread 'anyone hear from ACS recently' and seen your posts. It's desperate that they chop and change like that....you never know where you stand.

I hope all goes well for you, pain alright having to wait even longer when they change the rules with no regard for those that have their apps submitted.

Best of luck,

Harry.

Hi Claireg,

Thanks for the info..... I was actually following the thread 'anyone hear from ACS recently' and seen your posts. It's desperate that they chop and change like that....you never know where you stand.

I hope all goes well for you, pain alright having to wait even longer when they change the rules with no regard for those that have their apps submitted.

Best of luck,

Harry.

Thanks Harry, good luck with ACS and deciding on SS, you never know when this new SOL comes out this occupation may be wanted everywhere and on the SMP, fingers crossed eh.

Claire

Archived