schooling

sophiesunny

Hi again,

realistically now we may not have our visa for another yr to eighteen months.our son is currently 3.5yrs so will most probably be ready for school by the time we get to victoria.

I confess i haven't read too much into schools as yet, but i have noticed comments about it being hard to get children in etc? can anyone shed any light? is the deifference between state and private schooling high?

Thanks!

Getting a child into school is dead easy because the local school is obliged to enrol a child in its priority enrolment area so the trick is to find a place in a suburb you will like and hope that the school reflects the suburb.

Getting a kid into a private school is a whole other ball game - many private schools have a waitlist such that you need to put their names down when you are thinking of conceiving them LOL. Others are not so bad - the Catholic system obviously has Catholics as its priority but not so much of a waitlist and you are more likely to get a place.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

Quoll is right with what she says, if you live in the zone for a certain school they are obliged to take you, so really your problem won't be finding a school (government) it will be finding a house in that area.

In regards to private V government schools, it is hard to comment because in some areas the government schools can out rank the private ones. It also depends on the students that are enrolled.

The Catholic schools seem to have a great reputation over here, but again as Quoll has mentioned they give priority to Catholics etc.

Guest earlysame55
Thank you both. I get the impression more children go to private school than say here. Lots of reading for us I think to try and narrow down where to live! !

Sophie, what have you concluded private/public ? I'm also baffled with where to start, utmost importance would be given to get the kids ( 2 boys 7 and 4 ) into good public schools. When i quote good it means not only studies, discipline is a major major concern. Any input would be great!!

cheers

Hi Sophie and Others,

Most people use state schools for primary school aged kids because most of the primary schools are pretty good. Depending on where you live you may or may not want to send your kids to Private Secondary Schools. Prices vary a lot from state to state and also school to school. Be aware that some of the private schools at the cheaper end are very badly equipped and worse than even the worst State Sec Schools! Some of the private schools in Victoria cost $20,000+ p.a- hard if you have several kids. You also have to buy all the books, pay for school trips which tend to cost more in private schools, and pay for uniforms which, again, cost more in private schools. Having said that, many of these schools are first rate.

Archived