Ielts

MKF

hi guys,, i totally agree with all of you, fortunately i passed my academic ielts first time wth overall band of 8.5 but i had to reschedule a few times due to ill health etc, consequently i spent months preparing and worrying about it, mainly because the online practice tests are marked by a computer and the actual test is marked by a human i kept scoring 6.5's and couldnt understand why, my advice would be to check and double check particularly the reading aspect, the questions seem to be designed to deliberatley lead you in the wrong direction, also kalms or rescue remedy helped me i think the anxiety over how important the results are can affect your performance, i did my ielts at basil paterson college in edinburgh and they seemed to have good availabitlity up to a month before the exam. anyway im applying directly to the nmb of nsw for my registration as we are heading out to oz on my husbands ens 121 visa, he is also a nurse and has his letter of promise of registration but is concerned that when all the nursing boards merge in july, unless he has his registration card in his hand they will change the goalposts again and he will also have to sit the ielts,,if he failed we would have to start this whole process again. So we are having to spend another £1000 flying him over next week to activate it, although we have no case worker yet so visa not even in sight,,

I can undertand all the stress and anxiety the ielts is causing everyone and its seem so uneccesarry when english is your first langauge,, so good luck to everyone and fingers crossed you all get the bands you need, cheryl.

hi guys,, i totally agree with all of you, fortunately i passed my academic ielts first time wth overall band of 8.5 but i had to reschedule a few times due to ill health etc, consequently i spent months preparing and worrying about it, mainly because the online practice tests are marked by a computer and the actual test is marked by a human i kept scoring 6.5's and couldnt understand why, my advice would be to check and double check particularly the reading aspect, the questions seem to be designed to deliberatley lead you in the wrong direction, also kalms or rescue remedy helped me i think the anxiety over how important the results are can affect your performance, i did my ielts at basil paterson college in edinburgh and they seemed to have good availabitlity up to a month before the exam. anyway im applying directly to the nmb of nsw for my registration as we are heading out to oz on my husbands ens 121 visa, he is also a nurse and has his letter of promise of registration but is concerned that when all the nursing boards merge in july, unless he has his registration card in his hand they will change the goalposts again and he will also have to sit the ielts,,if he failed we would have to start this whole process again. So we are having to spend another £1000 flying him over next week to activate it, although we have no case worker yet so visa not even in sight,,

I can undertand all the stress and anxiety the ielts is causing everyone and its seem so uneccesarry when english is your first langauge,, so good luck to everyone and fingers crossed you all get the bands you need, cheryl.

Hi Cheryl. Did your husband not have to do the IELTS in the first place? I have just passed my exam recently, and am in the process of applying for registration. Do you think that if the boards amalgamate, then we may have to sit the IELTS again? Don't think I could pass again!!!!! Catherine:arghh:

Hi Catherine, ive just been reading through another thread, he recieved his letter of registration in november and had applied to nmb before IELTS was a requirement but i may have a nasty surprise for him when he gets home,, initailly we wanted to go out on a 457 but his employer suggested it was safer to go on 121 so thats what they nominated us for, however it looks like he needs anmb clearance for a 121 so he may have to do it anyway, and i just booked flights yesterday for him so that if anything changed in july he wouldnt be affected,, aargh...more money. cheryl

Hi Catherine, ive just been reading through another thread, he recieved his letter of registration in november and had applied to nmb before IELTS was a requirement but i may have a nasty surprise for him when he gets home,, initailly we wanted to go out on a 457 but his employer suggested it was safer to go on 121 so thats what they nominated us for, however it looks like he needs anmb clearance for a 121 so he may have to do it anyway, and i just booked flights yesterday for him so that if anything changed in july he wouldnt be affected,, aargh...more money. cheryl

Oh Cheryl..... they make it so difficult for us!!!!! Hopefully, he won't have to do it again.... and as you say its all money:arghh: Catherine

What do you mean he will have to go to Oz to activate his registration. Does everyone have to do that. I am waiting for my registration but have no plans to activate it immediatly. I dont think he will have to do IELTS because his application was lodged before July2009. If you email NMB they should be able to tell you.

Good Luck

MKF

Thanks MKF.

Currently once you have recieved a letter of promise of registration from whichever state board you applied to, in his case the NMB of NSW you are given one year in which to present yourself with passport to gain your registration card,he wants to have this activated before july incase they change the requirements.

The issue with IELTS for him is that as we initally planned to go to oz on the 457 visa he hadnt applied to the ANMC for skills assesment you dont need it for that visa, however his employer wanted us to apply for the ENS 121 and it looks like you need ANMC skills assesment for that and for that you do need IELTS,, however i dont really know what is likely to happen when the boards amalgamate in july, if the situation will change.

There seems to be so much uncertainty surrounding it all, will email the ANMC and NMB tonight and see what they say. Thanks Cheryl

Archived